• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Can you not download tracks with the android version of Xbox Music? See all my music and the little stream icon but no download option :/

Let me be honest with you: unless you have a special reason to use Xbox music, I would move to Spotify if you'll be using android. XBM plain stinks on android. Just doesn't work.

Let me be honest with you: unless you have a special reason to use Xbox music, I would move to Spotify if you'll be using android. XBM plain stinks on android. Just doesn't work.
My paid subscription is for Xbox Music so I'd like to use it if possible. Love the service although I'll have to consider switching for the time being if it doesn't work I guess :/

SO is there a phone that is like my 820 but more powerful with a better screen or something?

essentially I just want external storage with interchangable backplates

kharma45

SO is there a phone that is like my 820 but more powerful with a better screen or something?

essentially I just want external storage with interchangable backplates

830? It won't be a massive speed upgrade like going to an 800 chipset but will give you a better screen (720p at 5") and better camera.

735 isn't too bad either, same chipset as the 830 but a lesser camera and it's styled more like the 920.

Both phones you can swap the backplates off and have Micro SD card storage.

830? It won't be a massive speed upgrade like going to an 800 chipset but will give you a better screen (720p at 5") and better camera.

735 isn't too bad either, same chipset as the 830 but a lesser camera and it's styled more like the 920.

Both phones you can swap the backplates off and have Micro SD card storage.

Yea I was looking at the 830. I just dont understand why the 9** never comes with removable storage on top of it.

the 830 was just released, so I cant count on anything more being announced anytime soon

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
With Asha in the trash and all the junk already introduced, imma gonna flip shit if Microsoft doesn't launch a new flagship this coming MWC.

Bought a Note Edge because my 920 died and I wanted a good, modern phone. I already miss the beautiful tiles ;-; Will be nice to get a taste of Android though, imagine I'll switch back some time next year

Can you not download tracks with the android version of Xbox Music? See all my music and the little stream icon but no download option :/
I thought the same thing but you can. You have to add it all to a playlist and then when you select the playlist there is a "make offline" switch available.

So cumbersome and stupid

hitgirl

Anyone got a Windows phone + sonos setup? Can't seem to get the darn Sonos app to recognize my music on my phone, lumia 920. Meanwhile my girlfriends iphone integration is slick as hell.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Lumia 4XX is the new flagship.

L8LMdry.jpg

WPCentral is reporting that Sprint along with Boost and Virgin Mobile will be offering the Lumia 635.

Aldo, India is getting the 638 which is a 635 with 1gb of ram.

Great news, the 635 is a fantastic phone. It's my daily driver and am consistently amazed by its performance and quality. Helps that I only paid $40 for it.

Edit: More 635 news, Flip Board is now 512mb compatible.

clav

WPCentral is reporting that Sprint along with Boost and Virgin Mobile will be offering the Lumia 635.

Aldo, India is getting the 638 which is a 635 with 1gb of ram.

Great news, the 635 is a fantastic phone. It's my daily driver and am consistently amazed by its performance and quality. Helps that I only paid $40 for it.

Edit: More 635 news, Flip Board is now 512mb compatible.

Not really news when rumor already had the FCC filing.

Terrible.

CDMA carriers should be getting high-end phones.

Bought a Note Edge because my 920 died and I wanted a good, modern phone. I already miss the beautiful tiles ;-; Will be nice to get a taste of Android though, imagine I'll switch back some time next year

You have to create a playlist, drop your music into it and then set the play list to offline listening.

Then it will download the tracks.

It's annoying, quite annoying. I just received my Oneplus One yesterday, and found that annoying as hell.

toff74

Anyone got a Windows phone + sonos setup? Can't seem to get the darn Sonos app to recognize my music on my phone, lumia 920. Meanwhile my girlfriends iphone integration is slick as hell.

Looking at the Phonos app support page:

Summary

If you are using Sonos version 5.1 or older, we recommend NOT upgrading to 5.2 for the moment as some music services (see list below) may not work from Phonos.

If you are already using Sonos 5.2, you must use the very latest version of Phonos, but there may still be problems. If it is working right now, do not change anything (don’t add a new Service or edit an existing one), to keep it working.

We are working on a solution, but it is not straight-forward. It looks like it will require the use of Windows Phone 8.0/8.1 and will take some time to implement.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and will update this page when more information is available.

here:

http://phonos.org/support/musicservices.html

Pretty gutted myself as the missus is getting me a Sonus for Christmas.

Sadly it looks like my WinPho run is coming to an end when my upgrade is due in Jan 15. I've not looked elsewhere since the imate K-Jam in 2005-6. Just there are still too many app compromises now (Strava, Sonos, sky!!) or we just get poor versions (plex, whatsapp, iplayer) on top of that the lack of interesting new hardware is just poor.

Pooya

Tried a Lumia 535 aka the first Microsoft branded Lumia phone

I don't have much experience with the OS but had to use this for a week while abroad.

- Camera isn't shit for this price point but instead of wasting a 5mpx sensor for front might as well made a better rear camera. Still it takes better still shots than 2013 Moto G I think. Video though, lolz.

- It has a flash unlike most of other Lumias in this range, it's not too bright or anything. I'm not sure if it even matters.

-Black model doesn't have a glossy back but it still gets smudgy, I think glossy back is probably better with cheap plastic. It also creaks, it's EXTREMELY flimsy.

- Performance, I didn't try many games, it runs Minecraft fine. The animation when returning to home screen is a bit laggy. Resolution isn't as bad as I thought it would be on a screen this size. It has 1GB of RAM but I feel 520 runs noticeably smoother.

- The screen is a like a mirror under sunlight...

- GPS/Navigation sometimes stuck and doesn't update your location. I'm not sure what's up other times it works fairly well.

- All of the above are not as bad as it sound except this one, the touch screen is trash. It registers all kind of false input and I read that this is a known issue and supposedly a software fix is coming. I'm not holding my breath for it to get much better really, will believe when I see it... If it's a hardware issue (aka cheap ass part) then they made a fatal mistake with this one. It could have been a fairly good entry level smart phone that does almost everything ok, good even for the price. As it is, it can be so frustrating. Leaves a pretty bad impression for a first 'Microsoft' phone, after all all there is to a smartphone is the input screen. Similarly priced phones have way way better touch input, this is probably one of the worst I've seen since the resistive screen era... yeah that fix better come soon and work otherwise there will be a lot of pissed owners :b

Battery last about a day, maybe a bit more with average use.

For about $100 it could have been killer but more than that you should probably just save up a little and get something better... I would take 520 over this still.

Using a low end phone was a bit of an eye opener though, I had a iPhone 6plus at hand too and the difference in screen, touch input, battery. everything is huge HUGE still. You get what you pay for still :v

So my contract is up for renewal in January with Vodafone, currently have a Red 820 with 600mins/500mb for £22 a month.

The phones doing fine although I imagine my options would be either keep the phone and have the contract price drop to sub £15 or swap phone and keep the same mins/mb.

Presumably the only one in the price bracket would be 930?

Worth an upgrade?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So my contract is up for renewal in January with Vodafone, currently have a Red 820 with 600mins/500mb for £22 a month.

The phones doing fine although I imagine my options would be either keep the phone and have the contract price drop to sub £15 or swap phone and keep the same mins/mb.

Presumably the only one in the price bracket would be 930?

Worth an upgrade?

Oh yes definetly. Screen of L930 itself is worth the upgrade and that camera is insanly good.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The 820 was kinda crummy in retrospect, tbh. Even the "humble" 830 is sooo much better.

I want to gift 830 to my girlfriend. I am using 1520 and 1080p screen is so good man. Thats why I was having a second thought about giving 830, but 1520 is too big for her and 930 is perfect size but also expensive.

She is using L900. I think she should be happy with 830. What you guys think?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The 830 is a tremendous upgrade over the good old 900. It's basically a more refined 920 with a slimmer body, microSD expansion, 4G and a better screen. I love it. The camera is damn fine, too.

kazinova

With Denim apparently rolling out in China my anticipation will start to boil over into rage until Dev Preview users get it...fair warning.

hitgirl

Can anyone break it down to me how windows 10 is going to work alongside devices made for metro and touch interface? Like I'm shopping for a laptop or tablet and I'm pretty invested in the microsoft services, for better or worse; lumia 920, windows gaming pc, subscription to office 365, and TBs of onedrive storage. However I'm looking at all these devices now like 2 in 1s and Surface that are designed heavily around windows 8.1 metro interface and wondering how Windows 10 will still cater to that user interface..

Can anyone break it down to me how windows 10 is going to work alongside devices made for metro and touch interface? Like I'm shopping for a laptop or tablet and I'm pretty invested in the microsoft services, for better or worse; lumia 920, windows gaming pc, subscription to office 365, and TBs of onedrive storage. However I'm looking at all these devices now like 2 in 1s and Surface that are designed heavily around windows 8.1 metro interface and wondering how Windows 10 will still cater to that user interface..

The UI home screen will switch if you have a tablet, more in line with 8.1's start screen. They're designing the interface to be more adaptive, rather than the previously 'one size fits all' of 8/8.1.

Zeknurn

Windows 10 on touch devices will be more clear when they reveal it in January.

Based on the leaks so far there's no need to worry at all. They are finally redesigning legacy applications and configuration dialogs to support a new interface that's more touch aware.

This new interface is also more dynamic and should know and adapt to whether you are interacting with the computer using touch or mouse+keyboard.

Not really news when rumor already had the FCC filing.

Terrible.

CDMA carriers should be getting high-end phones.

So Sprint is basically staying irrelevant on the Windows phone side of things by still offering only low end or outdated hardware. My Ativ is starting to show its age.

Lumia Storyteller is pretty neat. I love how easy it is to share to Facebook. I hope future iteration add more flexibility and allow you to manually tag location and rearrange photos.

Subitai

Just checking in. Got an HTC One M8 Thanksgiving weekend off Amazon for $0.01 on sale as my upgrade with Verizon. Without that deal, I probably would have jumped to AT&T to get a 1520.

Very satisfied so far.

Top Bottom