• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Lumia Storyteller is pretty neat. I love how easy it is to share to Facebook. I hope future iteration add more flexibility and allow you to manually tag location and rearrange photos.

Go tweet @michielterlouw. He's one of the top design gurus on the app. IIRC, he was the initial visionary behind the app as well.

clav

So Sprint is basically staying irrelevant on the Windows phone side of things by still offering only low end or outdated hardware. My Ativ is starting to show its age.

Yep. They're spinning the phone as a "value phone" when it costs less on other carriers.

What a joke.

Why not go for 735 or 830?

KageMaru

I don't take this as a good sign:

When did Nokia phones, our goal was slightly different. Now we are developing applications on the basis of a realistic market. Microsoft will pay our maps license fees and is responsible for application development.

http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-allegedly-taking-development-here-windows-phone-nokia

Enter what where? Never had to do anything like that before.

Tap on the hamburger in Cortana and add her to your inner circle. While doing this, it should give you an option to enter a name or nickname for her. I'm pretty sure that's how it's done.

Pooya

I heard you guys are happy about finally getting Minecraft PE. So here it is, Minecraft Story Mode is coming to Vita even...

1418921628-735.gif

Finally decided to update Facebook since it was becoming slow and not updating properly. Probably shouldn't have done it as Messenger is now a separate app.

Tap on the hamburger in Cortana and add her to your inner circle. While doing this, it should give you an option to enter a name or nickname for her. I'm pretty sure that's how it's done.

This worked to an extent. I can now say "text my wife ..." and Cortana will do what I want. But the underlying problem is that Cortana used to understand me when I called my wife by her first name, and now she doesn't.

No grubhub or eat24 apps and the yelp app still lacks the feature to allow you to order food.

Windows Phone is making me starve yo.

edit: mobile site for grub hub works fine and looks like an app.

No grubhub or eat24 apps and the yelp app still lacks the feature to allow you to order food.

Windows Phone is making me starve yo.

edit: mobile site for grub hub works fine and looks like an app.

WP: For people trying to lose weight.

Now MS, pay me both my dev salary and additionally a marketing salary

maeh2k

So I'm not sure what's going on but all of a sudden Cortana can't understand my wife's first name. Is there a way to teach Cortana?

Maybe you're pronouncing it "wrong". The pronunciation of my name has never worked on Windows Phone. Wasn't recognized for voice dialing in Windows Phone 7 and now Cortana won't accept it either.
It's Philip -- not Feeleep. If I mispronounce the name, it works.

Maybe you're pronouncing it "wrong". The pronunciation of my name has never worked on Windows Phone. Wasn't recognized for voice dialing in Windows Phone 7 and now Cortana won't accept it either.
It's Philip -- not Feeleep. If I mispronounce the name, it works.

Sure, but like I said Cortana understood the correct pronunciation until a couple days ago.

KageMaru

I heard you guys are happy about finally getting Minecraft PE. So here it is, Minecraft Story Mode is coming to Vita even...

1418921628-735.gif

It's a joke this isn't coming to WP.

This worked to an extent. I can now say "text my wife ..." and Cortana will do what I want. But the underlying problem is that Cortana used to understand me when I called my wife by her first name, and now she doesn't.

Maybe remove her as a contact and add her again?

mixradio sold to line.

here maps on wp app updates handled to ms.

interesting turn of events.

Seems like Nokia is still working on WP:

Update: The HERE team has posted an official update on this stating: "we have noticed some discussions in the blogosphere about HERE on Windows Phone. We want to clarify that we are committed to providing great products and consumer experiences for Windows based phones. We will continue to support our HERE apps to ensure that they will be compatible with future versions of Windows."

http://m.windowscentral.com/microsoft-allegedly-taking-development-here-windows-phone-nokia

JaggedSac

I would imagine as long as it is called HERE, Nokia will handle it. They still want they branding I think and it would be strange to let another company manage the application under the brand.

KageMaru

So, what's going on with the Lumia Icon's firmware? Is Cyan still coming? Are they skipping Cyan and going straight to Denim? Is nothing coming?

I believe the update failed certification because certain Verizon services didn't work so it got sent back for further development. As for denim...lol

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So my 520 died an ignoble death on Monday. It was my bluetooth MP3 player of choice, a decent GPS and an ok way to check on the web during the day.

It's also a 30 dollar phone to replace...which made it a pretty easy decision. It came yesterday and I had a rough choice to make, whether to upgrade or not.

the old OS had great facebook messenger integration. World class even. The two people I message frequently use that ecosystem.

the old OS also had the superior music program, with features for recently added and full podcast integration.

the new OS has Cortana, which is neat once or twice, the separate podcast feed which blows and freezes all the time, the slow as shit music program which doesn't even have the recently added section, my favorite feature.

Lack of facebook integration. Messenger is ok for this but not having to boot a separate app was so much better.

But the real deal is this. WP8.1 has one awesome feature which I can no longer live without on this dataless smartphone I use as a podcast delivery vehicle; the ability to save mp3's and video files directly from the internet browser.

So in the end I did the upgrade. Coming off of a clean install the upgrade does seemingly work much better. Less lag when switching to common programs. Fewer podcast freezes.

520 is still the best 30 dollar device in this category. I'm not even someone invested in the windows ecosystem but this is a far better device than any other smartphone in this low low pricerange. It was a great deal last year at 50-70 but for 30? Unbeatable.

clav

I bought the 520 at MSRP, and I don't regret it.

Best purchase ever for a first time smartphone user
(i.e. for a relative)

As long as it's updated. I just hate the whole carrier approval thing for stable build users.

So, my 1020 updated overnight to Lumia Denim ^^

Dunno on what's new, but the phone is definitely performing better, even the camera, times between shots are still not instant, but have gotten a noticeable improvement.

I bought the 520 at MSRP, and I don't regret it.

Best purchase ever for a first time smartphone user
(i.e. for a relative)

As long as it's updated. I just hate the whole carrier approval thing for stable build users.

I've been using the 520 for a couple of months now, and it's a decent phone. Gets really hot in some instances though, like when trying to browse the web when minimal 3G is available. Not sure if that's normal.

It has been getting a lot more crash-prone lately, though. I've had a few instances of me setting it as my alarm clock and it just shutting itself down overnight, even while charging.

hwalker84

So, my 1020 updated overnight to Lumia Denim ^^

Dunno on what's new, but the phone is definitely performing better, even the camera, times between shots are still not instant, but have gotten a noticeable improvement.

Yeah man we need info.

Country
Carrier
Phone Version Number
Etc

MCD

http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/2ppe1d/lumia_denim_takes_imaging_to_a_whole_new_level/

The Lumia 1020 gets the new camera app, at least - just installed Denim, and the camera loads several times faster. It's night and day! The difference between unlocking, finding and opening the camera app on a non-Lumia phone and opening the camera with the hard button on the 1020 is now negligible. Love it.

Thanks Nokia/Microsoft!

Check it out here:

https://vid.me/W0Lx

Launching camera demo starts about 30 seconds in*

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
FWIW, I'm not fully convinced that the new Lumia Camera app launches faster just because it's been updated. The European Lumia 830 has Denim but lacks the newer app, yet the old Lumia Camera loads a lot faster. It may have something to do with the OS itself.

hadareud

The Translator
The Xbox music deal (1 year for 50 dollars) works in Europe. Bought one for myself and one for my gf.

Good stuff. 34 quid for a year is excellent value.

kazinova

1520s in Finland are receiving Denim right now according to the update page on the Microsoft site.

Sounds like DP phones should get that right now. How about now? Or now? Now? NAO?!?

hwalker84

Paid $50 online. Still a great deal. No Microsoft Stores anywhere near me. Would've had to take a day off or a 1/2 day to save $20.

Top Bottom