• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

There's another store about an hour from me I thought about going to as well, but I figured my time was worth more than that $20 so I will just grab another at $50.

I use it quite often at work. Really useful there...though I also brought In a schiit Dac/amp combo and mad dogs to complete the experience

n64coder

There's another store about an hour from me I thought about going to as well, but I figured my time was worth more than that $20 so I will just grab another at $50.

In my case, it's less than 10 minutes from my office so I swung by and got a card for $31 (after tax). There were no signs advertising the special other than that it's half-off today.

It was my first time going to the store so I spent some time browsing the wares. Checked out the 1520 which seems pretty nice. Didn't seem that awkward to hold in my hand. Also checked out the Yezz Billy 4.7 which seems pretty neat. I was impressed with the HTC One M8. It might have a crappy camera but it's fast at loading/browsing and taking pictures.

The store wasn't too crowded and had a nice selection of wares. I would say that the Apple Store had about 3 times the number of people in it at the same time. It'll take time to increase MS reputation with the general public.

KageMaru

Denim released for 822 and 928 on Verizon today. MS is skipping cyan for the Icon and launching Denim in early 2015.

Verizon has today announced the Windows Phone 8.1 and Lumia Denim update for the Lumia 928 and Lumia 822, but what about the Lumia Icon? Well, it's not included today, but thanks to a tweet from Microsoft's Joe Belfiore, there is at least light at the end of the tunnel. But that tunnel runs into 2015.

Happy Holidays WP users on Verizon! The 928 and 822 updates (WP8.1 + Denim) go live today and the ICON is on deck for early 2015.

So there we have it. It's a good news day for Verizon Lumia owners in general, even if some will have to carry on waiting a little longer.

Update: Microsoft now confirms that the Lumia Icon will go straight to Lumia Denim in this update, which also includes Cyan

http://www.windowscentral.com/lumia-icon-update-scheduled-early-2015

Dilly

Banned
Bunch of assholes at Snapchat, harrassing me for using a third party app while they're too useless to come up with an official Windows app.

If I had the money, I'd buy a plane ticket to go and kick them in the nads myself.

KageMaru

So I have a 928 on verizon on dev preview. Do I need to reset my firmware to get this update?

If the update doesn't appear, disable the preview program through the app, download the update, then enroll in the preview program through the app again.

Bunch of assholes at Snapchat, harrassing me for using a third party app while they're too useless to come up with an official Windows app.

If I had the money, I'd buy a plane ticket to go and kick them in the nads myself.

To be fair to them, they are only doing this because of the recent hack. They were supposed to release new APIs for third party apps to use.

Yup, I just got an email saying my account has been permanently locked for using third party apps.

To be fair to them, they are only doing this because of the recent hack. They were supposed to release new APIs for third party apps to use.
To he fair to them nothing. They could have easily put out an app long ago. They have repeatedly refused to do so. Shit, Rudy or what ever his name is was in contact with them at one point to do the work for them was he not? He has a perfectly capable third party app which aside from a few missing features is about as competent as the official efforts on other platforms.

Okay, they're entitled to not produce an app if they don't want to and ultimately it's our problem for being on a shitty platform. But they've known for long enough the demand has been there and they've opted to do nothing about it. Balls to them. I'll not be downloading their official app if ever it does come now.

Pooya

Is there any app that can let me stream media and access files directly from a Windows homegroup? I thought music/video app would let me do that like they do in the real Win8 but they're worthless. On iOS and Android there are some file managers that can do this, I haven't found any here, is there any?
I don't want 'Play to', I want to use the native DLNA server and file sharing of win7/8 without running anything. Not Plex either though that looks like the best option right now except for other files.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there any app that can let me stream media and access files directly from a Windows homegroup? I thought music/video app would let me do that like they do in the real Win8 but they're worthless. On iOS and Android there are some file managers that can do this, I haven't found any here, is there any?
I don't want 'Play to', I want to use the native DLNA server and file sharing of win7/8 without running anything. Not Plex either though that looks like the best option right now except for other files.

http://mediabrowser.tv/
+
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/media-browser/f4971ed9-f651-4bf6-84bb-94fd98613b86

I think I'm finally going to have to Hard Reset my Lumia 920. I keep on getting a fun little error when trying to deploy a couple of my in-progress apps/games to my phone. Hopefully It solves it.
Damn you "Error : DEP0001 : Unexpected Error: Element not found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070490)"

KageMaru

I'm really hoping someone here can help me. Yesterday I couldn't unlock my phone once it fell asleep. I also couldn't lock my phone once it was on. I thought my lock button was broken but I'm able to hold down the lock and down volume button to restart my phone. I couldn't shut my phone off, it would turn back on on its own, it wouldn't recognize when I was plugged into a charger, and it got really hot. I couldn't back anything up and my computer couldn't connect to the phone. So I did a hard reset. Everything has been fine all day until now where I'm starting to experience the same problems again. I'm on an Icon with the dev preview installed. Searching the internet didn't help.

Any suggestions? I really need this phone to be working again.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Did a trick to get the new Lumia Camera. You have to go to the Finland marketplace and turn off location.

It is currently a bit buggy (have to hit the back button sometimes to bypass a firmware error) and it doesn't have rich capture yet. It launches so fast though and living images work much better. I like the new picture algorithms so far as well. Wish they would release a proper version of the app already.

Did a trick to get the new Lumia Camera. You have to go to the Finland marketplace and turn off location.

It is currently a bit buggy (have to hit the back button sometimes to bypass a firmware error) and it doesn't have rich capture yet. It launches so fast though and living images work much better. I like the new picture algorithms so far as well. Wish they would release a proper version of the app already.
Hrm. How would I get in the Finland store? Just change my region?

KageMaru

Can you unlock it by holding the camera button down?

Tried that and it didn't work. The screen won't even turn on when I get new notifications. I reset my phone again but didn't restore from any backup. If it happens again I'll just have to get it swapped out.

joshschw

Thanks. Pretty cool!

I hope denim improves shot to shot time though, but the fast lunch is cool, but I'm not seeing any AF improvements or anything related to shot speed with Cyan.

And finally the sync app just copies the full res pics. (1520)

Any Denim users chime in?

So I used my 1020 yesterday for a martial arts seminar with about 100 people. Various people including myself were recoding video and taking pics with numerous devices and posting them to the facebook event page. My pics destroyed everyone else's. However, I don't think the dslr people posted yet. This device never ceases to amaze me.

clav

So I used my 1020 yesterday for a martial arts seminar with about 100 people. Various people including myself were recoding video and taking pics with numerous devices and posting them to the facebook event page. My pics destroyed everyone else's. However, I don't think the dslr people posted yet. This device never ceases to amaze me.

Sigh. Sprint still has yet to offer a device.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Some pics I took last night:

WP_20141221_00_55_10_Pro_zps5179861f.jpg

WP_20141221_00_49_14_Pro_zps27615593.jpg

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using Lumia camera. Has the UI and some new features. Not sure what they are waiting for. 830 owners should have it by now officially.

KageMaru

Issues started happening again, so I rolled back to 8.0 so there would be fewer reasons for the Verizon reps to help me when I take the phone in. While I wait for the problems to show up again, my MS account won't update and none of my purchase/download history shows up in the store. Is this expected when rolling back? It's like the phone doesn't recognize my MS account.

hitgirl

I did a Xbox Music trial and the sounds i had synced over the cloud are not getting off my damn phone. I delete them and a few minutes later they showed off. There's zero options in the xbox music app to see what I have synced and the windows app doesn't tell me otherwise.. frustrating me!

Top Bottom