• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

Quick video on the new Lumia camera app on Denim. Shows how fast the camera app opens, the new lumia moments app, 4K video sample, and some comparison shots between Cyan and Denim on the 930. Looks really impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-52TR-KPYs

Also I just noticed there isn't a Nokia Camera Beta app anymore, only Lumia Camera Classic and Nokia Camera. So if I want the latest updates, which should I use?

Coworkers' 2 month old iPhone 6+ slipped from her fingers, fell about 8 or so INCHES on her granite kitchen countertop and the screen shattered. It landed on it's back and was in a case yet it still shattered. She paid $200 to get it repaired. She blamed herself for not paying for the tempered glass screen protector.

WTF!!!

clav

Coworkers' 2 month old iPhone 6+ slipped from her fingers, fell about 8 or so INCHES on her granite kitchen countertop and the screen shattered. It landed on it's back and was in a case yet it still shattered. She paid $200 to get it repaired. She blamed herself for not paying for the tempered glass screen protector.

WTF!!!

Did the phone bend?

Did the phone bend?
Nope. Screen shattered while in a case landing on its backside though. Geez, this phone is like the Mr Glass character from the movie unbreakable.

But yeah, my coworker says it was her fault cuz she didn't buy a tempered glass screen protector.

I should have told her the true story of my 920 being run over by a Toyota. The 920's screen saver and silicone case didn't survive but my 920 survived without a scratch.

PG2G

My 920 got the denim update but I don't have a mobile data button in the action center, but my wife's 920 does now. I am so annoyed with stupid shit like this.

That wasn't part of Denim, it was part of one of the recent OS updates. Is your OS version the same?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I like that with the new Lumia camera the living images in the camera roll are more reliable and the got rid of the harsh flash.

Magni

So Bing/Microsoft Translator got updated, with voice support for Japanese among other things (still no offline support for Japanese though).

I tried it with my Japanese girlfriend, it did not recognize a single word either of us said. That includes one syallable words such as hai (yes).

So bad. Japanese is a fairly simple language when it comes to pronunciation.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

WTF!!!
Funny. This past weekend I dropped my 920 from the countertop. I shat myself, as I just got my SIM reader repaired after I fucked it up with a cheap nanosim adaptor. Pants got extramessy when I realized that the screen was intact, but the phone had frozen and it wouldn't move past Glance screen.

I did a soft reset and now it's working like a champ.

This phone will outlast me.

PG2G

My Lumia 1020, which already had a cracked screen, me its death last night with a face plant into the bathroom tile. It is still functional, but the screen is completely black and the touch screen probably doesn't work either.

Off to AT&T this morning. Guess I'll be getting an HTC One because there's no way I'm getting an 830 on contract and i dont think the 635 will hold me over until new phones come out.

hwalker84

So Bing/Microsoft Translator got updated, with voice support for Japanese among other things (still no offline support for Japanese though).

I tried it with my Japanese girlfriend, it did not recognize a single word either of us said. That includes one syallable words such as hai (yes).

So bad. Japanese is a fairly simple language when it comes to pronunciation.

Yeah my Japanese is pretty limited and it only worked for about 30% of what I said.

bedlamite

My wife just received an early Xmas present from one of her relatives: a selfie stick with a BT shutter. A silly little gift, but it's what people like nowadays, right? Her 1020 couldn't even pair with the shutter device. Tried it on my 1520, no go. A nearby iPhone and Galaxy S3 paired just fine.

Niggling little shit like this is what drives people away from the platform. I like WP just fine but that's probably because I've made my peace with the platform's shortcomings. My wife though, between the crap shot-to-shot time and the significant battery hit 8.1's had on her phone, this was probably the final straw.

hadareud

The Translator
I consider it a feature that WPs seemingly don't work with selfie sticks.

If only they would also punch people in the face and kick men in the bollocks as soon as they're trying to set one up.

PG2G

My Lumia 1020, which already had a cracked screen, me its death last night with a face plant into the bathroom tile. It is still functional, but the screen is completely black and the touch screen probably doesn't work either.

Off to AT&T this morning. Guess I'll be getting an HTC One because there's no way I'm getting an 830 on contract and i dont think the 635 will hold me over until new phones come out.

Okay, I Iied. I went ahead and got the 1520. Loving the real estate of a large screen, still worried I'll drop it, and it is hard to rearch the notification tray for pull down.

hitgirl

You guys think the HP stream 7 is any decent? Microsoft doing $99 for it plus a year of Office 365. I'm trying to not own a laptop and was thinking about picking up a tablet to use for reading Feedly while eating breakfast, driving my sonos system, and watching stuff while on the can. That's about it, but my Office 365 expires April and I was thinking about picking that package up.

NeOak

Okay, I Iied. I went ahead and got the 1520. Loving the real estate of a large screen, still worried I'll drop it, and it is hard to rearch the notification tray for pull down.

Me and my brother are using this case: http://amzn.com/B00GURKN72

Get a screen protector too. Jesus. It has saved my screen several times.

You guys think the HP stream 7 is any decent? Microsoft doing $99 for it plus a year of Office 365. I'm trying to not own a laptop and was thinking about picking up a tablet to use for reading Feedly while eating breakfast, driving my sonos system, and watching stuff while on the can. That's about it, but my Office 365 expires April and I was thinking about picking that package up.

Anandtech did a very good review: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8760/hp-stream-7-review

The 32gb version hopefully.

That was discontinued a while ago.

I have an Unicorn AT&T 32GB 1520 like my Dell Venue Pro unlocked for AT&T!

nubbe

I think that the 1520 with Living Images and Lumia Storyteller is a much more fun camera than the 1020

People get really impressed by Storyteller and the "1sec long images"
Just take 10-20 shots and it get really awesome

Doffen

xrEjvlc.jpg

Get active folks: http://snapchatonwp.webs.com

#SnapchatOnWP

Pooya

Is there any way to connect to a Cisco AnyConnect VPN with winphone? many organizations use that, it's kind of a big problem.

I was trying to pair my BT keyboard and well it wouldn't work, googling tells me there is no HID support in winphone,? that blew my mind

I like trying all the OSes for fun and I will keep this cheapo backup mp3 player and web browser phone to try win10 next year but wp is still way off from feature standpoint, I thought it was just going to be latest fad games and some services missing here but I was wrong. I could still use it on a daily basis if the cisco vpn worked.,I like the interface enough, IEmobile is pretty decent.

With that said MS should probably look into some cloud printing service too like how google cloud print works, thankfully that works very well here with Print Now! app but for how long?!

n64coder

Is there any way to connect to a Cisco AnyConnect VPN with winphone? many organizations use that, it's kind of a big problem.

What are you trying to do with the vpn? My company uses Cisco AnyConnect which I use on my desktop pc but otherwise I just connect to exchange for my email using the phone as-is. On the company premises, I connect to the WiFi and login using my active directory credentials.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there anything like 'text sense'? Bought my daughter a 530 for Christmas, and Data sense is great to ensure she doesn't go over her allowance, but I can't see any way to limit how many texts she sends. She already did about 50 in one day and she only has 600 for the month.

kharma45

I don't believe so. Push her towards something like Whatsapp (or whatever most of her friends use) instead is the only solution I can think of.

PG2G

Is there anything like 'text sense'? Bought my daughter a 530 for Christmas, and Data sense is great to ensure she doesn't go over her allowance, but I can't see any way to limit how many texts she sends. She already did about 50 in one day and she only has 600 for the month.

You're probably gonna regret not having unlimited lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
600 texts a month limit... For a kid... In 2014... LOL

She's only 10 - I'm not paying crazy money for a contract for her, its really only for emergencies. If she sticks to instagram for messaging which most of her friends use, maybe I'll be ok :p

First big bill shock and her phone gets grounded for a month

edit of relief: Just checked the order and its 250 minutes, 500MB data, and 5000 texts. So I should be safe-ish. Not bad for a free phone and free two year contract (just have to send a few bills in and the full cost is refunded)

frontieruk

She's only 10 - I'm not paying crazy money for a contract for her, its really only for emergencies. If she sticks to instagram for messaging which most of her friends use, maybe I'll be ok :p

First big bill shock and her phone gets grounded for a month

edit of relief: Just checked the order and its 250 minutes, 500MB data, and 5000 texts. So I should be safe-ish. Not bad for a free phone and free two year contract (just have to send a few bills in and the full cost is refunded)

Make sure she uses Wi-Fi as much as humanly possible, pictures from/to instagram will eat data.

Heretic

I got banned before it was cool.

If you want to try force an reaction from Snapchat you should join the thunderclap: https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/20664-bring-snapchat-to-wp?locale=en
Or you could buy an iPhone and not worry about apps.

Thunderclap... is that an STI?

I'll check that link out.

Edit:
Bah... hesitant...

This application will be able to:
Read Tweets from your timeline.
See who you follow, and follow new people.
Update your profile.
Post Tweets for you.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Lol, I'm on android, just about every app has way more permissions and adware than that. Even the fart apps rape your privacy.

Prez

WTF!!!

I've dropped my Lumia 630 many times without a case, not a scratch. Is it normal for iPhones to break that easily?

ElNino

I've dropped my Lumia 630 many times without a case, not a scratch. Is it normal for iPhones to break that easily?
Based on my experiences, yes. My wife's cracked after a drop on our hard wood floor in a case from about 10 inches.

Almost everyone I know with an iPhone has had them break well ahead of their "contract" expiry. All of my phones however, BlackBerry and Samsung/Nokia WP devices, have been replaced in very good condition simply because I wanted something newer.

anyone out here that have came across a head unit for a car that works well with windows phones?

android and iOS have the screen duplication feature

Top Bottom