• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Quick video on the new Lumia camera app on Denim. Shows how fast the camera app opens, the new lumia moments app, 4K video sample, and some comparison shots between Cyan and Denim on the 930. Looks really impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-52TR-KPYs

Also I just noticed there isn't a Nokia Camera Beta app anymore, only Lumia Camera Classic and Nokia Camera. So if I want the latest updates, which should I use?
If you are not on Denim yet Lumia Camera Classic would be the latest one. The new Lumia camera will be embedded into Denim, and then the classic will be available for those who still want to use it.

KageMaru

If you are not on Denim yet Lumia Camera Classic would be the latest one. The new Lumia camera will be embedded into Denim, and then the classic will be available for those who still want to use it.

Awesome thanks, assumed that was the case but wanted to make sure.

When hell freezes over and Verizon releases Denim on the Icon, I hope updated camera is available. It seems like the new app isn't available to everyone with the denim update.

But that's a must have app...
4iE1TaS.jpg

Right behind Apple and Samsung

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It' s a shame that the 830 wasn't less expensive so more of you could give it a try. It is probably my favorite WP I've owned.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
It' s a shame that the 830 wasn't less expensive so more of you could give it a try. It is probably my favorite WP I've owned.

Bought one for my girlfriend. 300$ CAD from Kijiji. She is loving it. Slim, light and premium looking phone for 300$. You cant go wrong.

This was the first Christmas where my entire family was using WPs. They all love it, and my new sister-in-law is advocating her entire family to switch as well. Her mother seems to be really enjoying the 925 as well.

Zeknurn

This was the first Christmas where my entire family was using WPs. They all love it, and my new sister-in-law is advocating her entire family to switch as well. Her mother seems to be really enjoying the 925 as well.

I'd like to imagine that around the Christmas table, the lastflowers family are all talking about Sharepoint, Lync and Hadoop while sporting their Clippy Christmas jumpers.

BeforeU

Is the Lumia 1320 good? Coming from a 620. Does it have glance and everything?

Its really good if resolution doesn't bother you. Honestly I have used L900, L920 and OS looks fine in those low res screen but L1320 is 6" so 720p screen might be more noticeable than you think. Other than that, its a solid phone. And yes it does support glance screen.

Ade

This makes my family seem less of the minority. Yay!

Yeah everyone that gives it a serious chance ends up loving it. Honestly the only thing in particular that I see scaring people away from them nowadays is the app support. If it was just a weeeee bit better I think WP could make its big push. Hopefully WP10 gives it that, and maybe MS is waiting for that to start pushing again.

Herr K

Banned
Its really good if resolution doesn't bother you. Honestly I have used L900, L920 and OS looks fine in those low res screen but L1320 is 6" so 720p screen might be more noticeable than you think. Other than that, its a solid phone. And yes it does support glance screen.

It looks quite good, actually. Does anyone know how or where can I unlock it? I have to make a trip now and the phone is carrier locked.

So I've been thinking about it...

1080p pentile is way less noticeable than 480p pentile, no? I've noticed that as far as my eyes are concerned, at normal usage, I notice nothing strange about the display on my 930.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm using my 1020 while vacationing in Chicago. I missed the keyboard, and of course, the camera. Turns out I'm not a huge apps guy anyway, at least not day to day, but there are occasions where I would miss the Android apps, like my home security app.

Yeah everyone that gives it a serious chance ends up loving it. Honestly the only thing in particular that I see scaring people away from them nowadays is the app support. If it was just a weeeee bit better I think WP could make its big push. Hopefully WP10 gives it that, and maybe MS is waiting for that to start pushing again.

(random rambling in the morning as I drink coffee)

Much like Android, the only way to really get broad, consistent app support is to get numbers out there and gain mindshare. Right now, that isn't the case. The dev tools and enterprise support (at least from what I can tell) are top notch, especially for the large app makers. The mindshare is rising slowly, and we need to deliver a topnotch MS OS X
lol
experience that makes developing even easier and more broad reaching. The Universal App is nice, but far from convenient for developers. There's a lot of platform specific code that needs to be run, and weird pains whilst doing so in Visual Studio.

Luckily most of the top apps are on the platform, and it is seeing relatively close releases for lots of apps to iPhone/Android. The main issue is continued updating of these apps to either a) make use of the platform features or b) maintain the feature set of iPhone/android apps, which clearly isn't happening. Knowing that any given app will be fairly comparable to another other version from another platform is one of the last steps.

I'd love to see a reimagining of Metro that takes into account all the learnings from WP and Windows8 to freshen up the experience for users. the Background picture was a nice touch, but we need to revitalize the settings app....it's seriously ugly. IE could use some redesign, though it's far superior to the iPhone's browser (imo). Separating the main apps from the OS updates was a good first step, but we haven't taken advantage of it yet in many cases. Xbox Music should be a killer app, and instead is still reeling from the decoupling from Zune desktop app. What they're doing on the desktop is making me look forward to a polished wp version, which hopefully has nothing to do with a WinX release, it'll just release when it's done.

1080p pentile is way less noticeable than 480p pentile, no? I've noticed that as far as my eyes are concerned, at normal usage, I notice nothing strange about the display on my 930.

Definitely. The smaller the pixels, the more difficult it will be to notice the subpixel arrangement.

Oh I expect some really nice changes with Win10. Even 8.1 was a huge jump. It was actually me fiddling around with the dev preview on my Mom's phone that got me to switch, when I really didnt like stock 8.

As we slowly gain mindshare, I'm hoping that we'll get away from that "lulwindows" mindset from carriers and devs. Being on Verizon sucks ass with my Icon (that I love), and having Google COMPLETELY ignore the platform hurts me too (basically just GMusic though).

It really is a great platform! I have people comment on how fast and smooth everything is coming from Apple and Samsung owners, and usually at Radioshack as soon as I show them how the themes work they need it immediately. Its just a matter of trying to dig up the mindshare.
I try to do my part lol. The 635 really helps, as its the best value phone we have for ATT prepaid.

hadareud

The Translator
Also, Google. Damn, we really need their support. Gmail, YouTube, Calendar, Chrome, chromecast, these are all vital.

If WP were to reach 10% in sales, world wide, ignoring the platform would no longer be be possible for Google. At the moment they're saying no thanks to the revenue of around 40 or 50 million devices. Which is ridiculous enough, and inexcusable when you think about it without bias.

If it were double that, it becomes impossible to smuggle their pride and childishness past the media and their shareholders.

Only problem is that without Google, there's a real chance WP will never get to that stage. Which is mission accomplished, I suppose.

If WP were to reach 10% in sales, world wide, ignoring the platform would no longer be be possible for Google. At the moment they're saying no thanks to the revenue of around 40 or 50 million devices. Which is ridiculous enough, and inexcusable when you think about it without bias.

If it were double that, it becomes impossible to smuggle their pride and childishness past the media and their shareholders.

Only problem is that without Google, there's a real chance WP will never get to that stage. Which is mission accomplished, I suppose.
I just wonder why WP gets such a shaft from Google and Verizon. Google I can sort of see, since I guess MS gets a share of money from Android due to Trademarks, but why does Verizon treat it so badly? Discontinuing the flagship device 8 months in is ridiculous, let alone completely ignoring it.

Nero3000

Quickly:

Main problem is USA. That problem is device strategy.

Get a high end device on all carriers, and unsubsidised on the MS store (something to be done globally). Existing exclusive arrangements are clearly not working. Whoever signed off on Verizon Icon agreement (ability to pull without being to put on another carrier) needs to be let go.

Android apps on WP is conceding defeat. Whats the point in having badly run android apps on WP10. Also you concede on universal apps on W10 devices and xbox.

UNLESS: This is a controlled thing. MS will let you put on your Android app on the store with assurances that a native W10 universal app is in development and to be released within the next X months.

nubbe

Youtube is the only thing I'm missing, but Google locked out Microsoft....
Hope EU rips Google a new one... or apart

BeforeU

Youtube is the only thing I'm missing, but Google locked out Microsoft....
Hope EU rips Google a new one... or apart

Dude what? Get MetroTube like right now. Better than official YouTube app on Android and iOS.

Lastflowers is right, but, should he get metrotube right now (an excellent app) or just hope that Google tomorrow announces a youtube app out of nowhere?

Of course it's better than nothing or the mobile page (maybe),you're right. For some reason I just wanted to point that out. Probably because it's been over a year now since Microsoft and Google had their little fight over the not-official YouTube app by Microsoft and nothing came out of it ever again. Instead they just offloaded it to the IE team to make the browser as compatible as possible (yes, that's not exactly how it went down, but comes over like that).

KageMaru

I just wonder why WP gets such a shaft from Google and Verizon. Google I can sort of see, since I guess MS gets a share of money from Android due to Trademarks, but why does Verizon treat it so badly? Discontinuing the flagship device 8 months in is ridiculous, let alone completely ignoring it.

Microsoft Kin is likely why Verizon doesn't care about WP.

I love the OS but I said this few years ago that things are set in stone at least until next disruption. Android is what Windows is to the PC and iOS is Mac OS while Windows Phone is the Amiga back in the 80 and 90. Things will not change it's like chicken and egg, they need apps to make platform viable but dev won't make them because the user base is too small. The blame really is at Microsoft. They were too slow to get into mobile and when they finally do they are still too slow to react. Windows Phone 8 should have been the lead platform and not the Windows 8/RT. They reboot the mobile OS 3 times in the past 4 years, meantime Google constantly update their OS. It's still janky and often time annoying to use but it came a long way from Gingerbread to Lollipop. We can blame Google or all the lazy dev but really the fault is at Microsoft and their lack of commitment to mobile.

Everyone that I have convert to Windows Phone last year all move to Android or iOS due to app situation. My daughter was going to come back but I ended up returning the phone and get her Moto X because of Snapchat. I think it's the most stupid way to communicate but sadly all of her friends it is what they use.

Pooya

Is it just me or Microsoft Solitaire is really really poorly made, runs absolutely terribly compared with everything else I tried, ugh.

KageMaru

Lastflowers, what is this data to restore thing and why has it eaten up over 10% of my data allowance?

Same thing happened to me a month or so ago, but used up around 250MB of my data. I tried to look up any information about it but only got results on restoring a backup.

hwalker84

I love the OS but I said this few years ago that things are set in stone at least until next disruption. Android is what Windows is to the PC and iOS is Mac OS while Windows Phone is the Amiga back in the 80 and 90. Things will not change it's like chicken and egg, they need apps to make platform viable but dev won't make them because the user base is too small. The blame really is at Microsoft. They were too slow to get into mobile and when they finally do they are still too slow to react. Windows Phone 8 should have been the lead platform and not the Windows 8/RT. They reboot the mobile OS 3 times in the past 4 years, meantime Google constantly update their OS. It's still janky and often time annoying to use but it came a long way from Gingerbread to Lollipop. We can blame Google or all the lazy dev but really the fault is at Microsoft and their lack of commitment to mobile.

Everyone that I have convert to Windows Phone last year all move to Android or iOS due to app situation. My daughter was going to come back but I ended up returning the phone and get her Moto X because of Snapchat. I think it's the most stupid way to communicate but sadly all of her friends it is what they use.
Can't disagree at all.

Microsoft just needs to money hat the Snapchat devs. Oh, pay the Instagram devs to update from beta as well. No reason for video upload feature not to he included in Instagram.

Yes I understand it will send a message to other devs that MS is paying to develop on their platform but if it means the survival of their platform and their company as we know it then it's worth it.

MCD

Microsoft just needs to money hat the Snapchat devs. Oh, pay the Instagram devs to update from beta as well. No reason for video upload feature not to he included in Instagram.

Yes I understand it will send a message to other devs that MS is paying to develop on their platform but if it means the survival of their platform and their company as we know it then it's worth it.

I don't think it's a money issue, otherwise we would have gotten every app without any bullshit.

JaggedSac

MS has been paying to develop apps. They actually paid the company I work for and then did the actual development work.

Top Bottom