• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

ElNino

Can't help it. My social network is what it is :/
Is this a serious post? Snapchat is pretty much standard-fare for millennials in the U.S.
I guess this is another clue that I am getting old seeing as I don't know of a single person in my circle of family and friends who has ever used Snapchat. Based on their actions towards other apps, I think that is probably a good thing.

If it's really the single operating system with different shells on top, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support it. (Win 8.1 also natively supports mkv now through the Xbox Video app)
Built off the same core since 8. Each iteration the core has grown tremendously.

hadareud

The Translator
Interesting insight.

Not sure that I agree with his assertion that Office doesn't integrate well with the web, since office 365 I don't think that's true at all. Nor do I think that it's become more resource hungry or slower, in fact I'm pretty sure that office 2013 is quite a bit lighter on the processor and memory than 2007 (for instance) was and it's also quicker to open and run (when I say I'm pretty sure, I know this to be a fact on my work laptop where I recently upgraded to 2013).

As for the web integration, it depends what exactly he means by not doing it well. If he means that it's not the same experience as it is when you run the full program, I agree. If he means well as in as well as Google docs, then I disagree completely.

maeh2k

Does anyone think it matters that all of these car manufacturers are doing tie-ups with Android and iOS to link phones and cars?

If there's something like an HTC One running Android and one running Windows Phone and the Android one integrates with the customer's car, then yes, they'd probably go Android. At that point you'd also have more lock-in, since people would be more likely to stick with a platform that integrates with their car.

However, the rate of adoption for these features will be low, since people don't buy cars that often. By the time it becomes important Windows Phone might already be dead :)

It probably won't affect the Android/iOS balance much (if at all), since both Apple and Google are jumping on that stuff early and it looks like both systems will be widely supported.

ElNino

Wow if those allegations are true.

Since this is GAF, I wonder where Halo MCC fits in the project management equation.
Interesting read, and I can't see where any of it wouldn't be true. In fact, it sounds like every dev team I've worked with (and I don't work for MS).

I've been a professional dev in some capacity for more than 10 years, and I'm looking to move on (to Project Management no less) because there is little room to grow in my career when I'm just implementing someone else's idea or government regulation and most PMs don't know squat about dev work. In almost every major project I've worked on, the devs get very little of the credit outside of their team and PMs/BAs get most of it... it can be very demoralising, but I got used to it a long time ago.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
roswIaT.png

JjO6zuE.png

5.5 Full HD display, Intel Atom proc, 2 and 4GB of RAM versions, microSD compatible, 13 megapixel camera with laser autofocus and dual tone LED flash. On sale from $199.

Asus also took a page from the 1020 book and released a slim phone with similar specs to the new Zenphone and a 13 megapixel camera with actual 3x optical zoom at $399. Unlocked.

Somebody tell me again why the fuck I'm still on this boat.

ElNino

Sorry if this is off-topic now... but is anyone else using Appy Weather?

I started using it this week and really like it so far. It seems to give me accurate info that is actually helpfull (ie. temp/wind chill temp/rain or snow/ etc) without cluttering the view with data that is mostly useless to the average person. Performance is terrific moving around the app and the lock screen and live tile are good as well.

Only thing I miss is not having radar maps, but I still have Amazing Weather for that if I need it.

hadareud

The Translator
5.5 Full HD display, Intel Atom proc, 2 and 4GB of RAM versions, microSD compatible, 13 megapixel camera with laser autofocus and dual tone LED flash. On sale from $199.

Asus also took a page from the 1020 book and released a slim phone with similar specs to the new Zenphone and a 13 megapixel camera with actual 3x optical zoom at $399. Unlocked.

Is it me or does the phone on the top have a female body part at the bottom?

edit: just the lighting, on closer inspection.

dLMN8R

damn, son

(not to say that I agree with him/her...)

Eh, rants by disgruntled employees like this are never a true analysis of the situation. I know a lot of long-time veterans who are simply incapable of adapting to a more agile world that the competition demands of us. That's not to say the move to more unified engineering has been perfect, but it's hardly a disaster.

Also, it doesn't help that he uses internal jargon that the outside world has no reason to automatically understand. For example, the way he talks about Program Management assumes that everyone knows what a Program Manager actually does at Microsoft. But the responses to his post both on Reddit and here show that of course no one does, because they have no reason to know.

PMs at Microsoft are not in fluffy marketing roles disconnected from engineering. PMs are a core part of engineering, usually have a very deep Computer Science/Engineering background, usually coded in school and at Microsoft for a while before moving to PM, and as PMs need to be deeply involved with code, code reviews, and technical limitations and strengths of the architecture of whatever you're working on. PMs don't code, but everything they design needs to be in full collaboration with dev, founded with a premise of understanding the code, and carefully balanced with customer requests, internal partner requests, future planning, etc.

So sure, Office is very PM-driven, but that's by necessity. It might sound great to have Office driven by Engineering, but it's not engineers who are actually using Office. It's regular people working in office settings that are absolutely nothing like most engineers. PMs are the ones who talk with real customers, in hundreds of different countries, speaking hundreds of different languages, using Office in countless different ways that most people would even begin to imagine or think about.

Yeah, Office didn't beat Google to web apps, as the guy suggested they could have done, yet that hasn't stopped Office from growing to be the single most powerful and successful division within Microsoft which now competes extremely well with Google online, and still utterly destroys them in offline productivity. I keep hearing about how Office has stagnated, but by any reasonable measure - usage, sales, profit, features - that's simply not the case.

(Does Google even make any money with Google Apps / Enterprise yet?)

He's definitely right about Sinofsky though. I've been in Windows my entire career here (~7 years), and I believed in him when he was here, but now get anxiety whenever I hear his name because of how he completely destroyed every shred of credibility the product I worked on had. I worked for three years of my life on a product I believed in since he convinced me would be amazing despite everyone outside Microsoft predicting it to be a failure, but he was wrong. Thank the fucking lord for him being gone and Joe B taking over.

dLMN8R

Despite all the hate, wasn't Sinofsky credited for the success of Windows 7 and Office 2007?

Both of those releases were things pretty much destined for easy success and just needed a decent manager to prevent it from going off the rails. It's when he tried to bring his own vision to the table when everything fell apart.

i always found those posts interesting, though not representative of reality. It can provide insights despite being fully skewed by his/her own personal biases

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hey guys, I'm going on vacation and thus wont be able to stream on an airplane or when I'm out of the country.

Is there a better music app than Xbox music that I should use? I literally have no music in the app so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch.

What's the best way to transfer music to the phone?

And is there anyway to copy over iTunes playlists or do I need to remake them?

Thanks for any help.

Really hope we get news soon. Tired of seeing 10 unread articles in my Windows Central app and they're all apps I don't give a shit about or sales on phone cases.

Hey guys, I'm going on vacation and thus wont be able to stream on an airplane or when I'm out of the country.

Is there a better music app than Xbox music that I should use? I literally have no music in the app so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch.

What's the best way to transfer music to the phone?

And is there anyway to copy over iTunes playlists or do I need to remake them?

Thanks for any help.
Mix Radio allows for offline mix play

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Because specs aren't everything? Seriously, I wouldn't buy an android phone from Asus. What's the skin on it like? What unremovable bloatware does it come with? What's the update schedule? Can it take good pictures? Just saying 13mp doesn't mean it's any good. Large amounts of ram doesn't necessarily mean much in the android world depending on what a manufacturer does with their software.

Unless you're on a tight budget, I'd only buy android phones from Samsung, lg, and possibly Sony and HTC. In fact, after owning what is considered one of the top android flagship phones of the year for 8 months without a single software update and watching its performance rapidly deteriorate as I do nothing other than download and use apps from approved sources, I'd buy phones from exactly three manufacturers from here on out: Samsung, Apple, and Nokia. Anyone else and whatever value you think you are getting by looking at a spec sheet and a price tag is illusory.

Magni

Because specs aren't everything? Seriously, I wouldn't buy an android phone from Asus. What's the skin on it like? What unremovable bloatware does it come with? What's the update schedule? Can it take good pictures? Just saying 13mp doesn't mean it's any good. Large amounts of ram doesn't necessarily mean much in the android world depending on what a manufacturer does with their software.

Unless you're on a tight budget, I'd only buy android phones from Samsung, lg, and possibly Sony and HTC. In fact, after owning what is considered one of the top android flagship phones of the year for 8 months without a single software update and watching its performance rapidly deteriorate as I do nothing other than download and use apps from approved sources, I'd buy phones from exactly three manufacturers from here on out: Samsung, Apple, and Nokia. Anyone else and whatever value you think you are getting by looking at a spec sheet and a price tag is illusory.

Nokia still makes phones? :p

Can't wait for the 21st. I bought an 830 two months ago, hoping WP10 runs smoothly on it by the time BUILD rolls around. *dreaming*

hwalker84

Nokia still makes phones? :p

Can't wait for the 21st. I bought an 830 two months ago, hoping WP10 runs smoothly on it by the time BUILD rolls around. *dreaming*
I doubt we'll see any new phones on the 21st and may not even see WP10. Keeping my expectations in check.

Yeah I own a Lenovo Yoga Android tablet and the experience is awful. The duplicate apps from both Google and Lenovo (that you can't uninstall) are silly and firmware updates brick your device every 3-4 months. Never ever go Android unless it's Nexus.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yeah I own a Lenovo Yoga Android tablet and the experience is awful. The duplicate apps from both Google and Lenovo (that you can't uninstall) are silly and firmware updates brick your device every 3-4 months. Never ever go Android unless it's Nexus.

LG has improved A LOT. The G3 is damn nice in that regard.

Is this a streaming source? Never used it.

I have over 200gigs of music so I like to make my own playlists when travelling.

It is. Offline mixes download the mixes for offline play, though, so... (you won't be able to have full control with such mixes unlike normal music on your phone.)

Top Bottom