• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

VLC no more crashing and freezing but now it doesn't play anything.

Good start I guess?

And Tubecast just destroyed the competition: 60fps and HD audio preload. Motherfucker this dev is amazing.

Paganmoon

I don't get why I have to wait for my carrier to approve Denim for 1020, when my phone isn't carrier specific, bought it retail. So many small things that irck me about WP :(

Paganmoon

No different on Android.

Still no L for the Moto E.

Thing is, with Android, I sort of get it, carriers can have specific apps/variants they ship with, right? That's not true with WP, they can't make any changes to the OS (afaik). And I mean, Apple handles their updates on their own, why can't MS? Annoying as shit, tbh.

Nero3000

Thing is, with Android, I sort of get it, carriers can have specific apps/variants they ship with, right? That's not true with WP, they can't make any changes to the OS (afaik). And I mean, Apple handles their updates on their own, why can't MS? Annoying as shit, tbh.

After the recent iOS update leaving phone unable to connect to a network, i wouldnt be surprised if carriers were trying to reign it in a little.

The DP gets the functionality bits, however the firmware if the bit the carriers care about most, as thats where changes in the networking happens.

Anyway, this is a US problem - my carrier has been transparent and timely with updates.

hadareud

The Translator

My phone is carrier free too, though.

Milchjon

BALLmer

wooetqyy4lf5c4moppv2.gif

l0NXrTH.gif

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

Ya it sucks, with Windows Phone 8. Microsoft was actually pushing the idea of OTA(over the air update). Dont know what the fuck happened to that.

On plus side, they at least have that for preview users like me.

Pooya

So I flashed my phone (535) because OTA update is never coming at this rate, it went fine, touch is a little less miserable (if it's not placebo effect) and the phone less laggy but I have a problem. I had Lumia Refocus before the update now the store says it's unavailable for my phone wtf. It's in my app history, is this some exclusive thing and I could download it before by mistake? :\ it was working very well.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The features of the spartan browser are yawn-worthy to me. I'm ready for a new browser though, chrome is starting to feel old for me.

The features of the spartan browser are yawn-worthy to me. I'm ready for a new browser though, chrome is starting to feel old for me.

I loved the new info regarding pen support. Being able to annotate on everything could be amazing (Specially if it syncs with onenote).

But to be truly useful, it really should be done at a system level, like that WriteIt lenove showed.

hadareud

The Translator
Chrome is shit and always has been. It's a resource hog and runs like ass.

However, it has application shortcuts and I'm still using it for that reason.

hwalker84

Would be nice if MS said OK now that Verizon has pulled the Icon here's this nice gold 930 sold exclusively on Microsoftstore.com with T-Mobile and AT&T LTE bands.

Man, Thurrott bought the 930 at the sale price. His article about it is eerie in how much we value the same things when weighing a smartphone. I knew I should have pulled the trigger.
I thought he was all for that selfie phone.

That 930 looks great an unlock one would be nice but if they charge 499 for 830 ...

Heretic

The lack of app support is starting to get to me... Love Windows Phone but my goodness is it behind in the apps department.

Hoping Windows 10 blows my socks off because my socks are starting to tighten up. And no, I have no clue what that means.

Yeah but our Youtube apps are better than on Android. Google is forcing apps like Tubepop on Android to show ads and remove offline features.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The lack of app support is starting to get to me... Love Windows Phone but my goodness is it behind in the apps department.

Hoping Windows 10 blows my socks off because my socks are starting to tighten up. And no, I have no clue what that means.

You don't own a tablet? I know they're not for everybody, but android tablets are cheap, and they turn out to be good general purpose social media/web browsing machines in addition to the apps.

Heretic

You don't own a tablet? I know they're not for everybody, but android tablets are cheap, and they turn out to be good general purpose social media/web browsing machines in addition to the apps.

I bought the first Asus Transformer a couple of years back. Rarely use it. Right now I just have my Surface Pro 3. I'm mainly talking about apps on the phone. Useful ones that aren't there like health insurance apps and things like that.

Paganmoon

According to PC Advisor, the Microsoft Lumia 940 will be the very first device to feature the Windows Mobile 10 OS. The Lumia 940 will come out to replace the Lumia 930 that was released in July 2014. So, the successor model is expected to arrive by July or August this year.

July or August? COME ON! :(

1030 was the cancelled McLaren wasn't it? 1040 is just speculation. I'm surprised we are even getting this 940. I would have guessed Microsoft would have given us an 840 and continued with this "affordable flagship" BS.

dLMN8R

I'll give a vague hint:

Some major web sites might be confusing what is concept art, what is really in builds, and the relative age of those things.

KageMaru

MS really needs to do better with keeping up with the specs race. I know it's not that important in the grand scheme of things but it looks better when you're trying to compete with flagships using competing OS platforms. Windows mobile 10 better support the snapdragon 810 chip or else there is zero chance any of the manufacturers with 810 equipped phones will consider a windows version.

W10 is the last chance MS has with me. I've been a supporter since the beginning with a WP7 Trophy and I can't continue to support them if they continue to make the same stupid mistakes again and again.

Windows Mobile, oh no

also, I wonder if they'll manage to make existing WP apps incompatible.

It's all based on the same W8 kernal, so I don't see any compatibility problems.

Top Bottom