• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

Because specs aren't everything? Seriously, I wouldn't buy an android phone from Asus. What's the skin on it like? What unremovable bloatware does it come with? What's the update schedule? Can it take good pictures? Just saying 13mp doesn't mean it's any good. Large amounts of ram doesn't necessarily mean much in the android world depending on what a manufacturer does with their software.

Unless you're on a tight budget, I'd only buy android phones from Samsung, lg, and possibly Sony and HTC. In fact, after owning what is considered one of the top android flagship phones of the year for 8 months without a single software update and watching its performance rapidly deteriorate as I do nothing other than download and use apps from approved sources, I'd buy phones from exactly three manufacturers from here on out: Samsung, Apple, and Nokia. Anyone else and whatever value you think you are getting by looking at a spec sheet and a price tag is illusory.

But Van, the slowdown is a feature included with every new iOS version!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
LG has improved A LOT. The G3 is damn nice in that regard.

LG is coming up, which is why I did list them in the "maybe" column. Still have to see how their phones hold up and what kind of update support they provide. You will love any new phone you buy, the question is how will you feel about the phone in a year, which is where Samsung, Apple, and Nokia/Microsoft are the very best. Lack of support, shoddy build quality and weird quirks will make a phone that felt like a good value seem more like a ripoff.

dLMN8R

My iPod Touch is painful to use with iOS 8 on it, even after the minor point releases which were supposed to fix performance.

I don't care that it's iPhone 4S hardware or whatever the fuck. It's still their highest-end most expensive iPod Touch sold on their web site today. It's appalling.

Hey guys, I'm going on vacation and thus wont be able to stream on an airplane or when I'm out of the country.

Is there a better music app than Xbox music that I should use? I literally have no music in the app so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch.

What's the best way to transfer music to the phone?

And is there anyway to copy over iTunes playlists or do I need to remake them?

Thanks for any help.
There is an app to let you transfer files on both Mac and PC Or you can just drag copy and drop them using Explorer on Windows. I don't think there is a way to transfer play lists. Good luck using Xbox music for that.

Magni

My iPod Touch is painful to use with iOS 8 on it, even after the minor point releases which were supposed to fix performance.

I don't care that it's iPhone 4S hardware or whatever the fuck. It's still their highest-end most expensive iPod Touch sold on their web site today. It's appalling.

Same with mine. And 10.10 has been shit on both my personal Mid-2012 MBA and my work Mid-2013 MBA.

Apple has been shit when it's come to software releases this year.

LG is coming up, which is why I did list them in the "maybe" column. Still have to see how their phones hold up and what kind of update support they provide. You will love any new phone you buy, the question is how will you feel about the phone in a year, which is where Samsung, Apple, and Nokia/Microsoft are the very best. Lack of support, shoddy build quality and weird quirks will make a phone that felt like a good value seem more like a ripoff.

OnePlus is probably the best Android experience for me even better than the 1st gen Nexus 7. My brother-in-law Samsung S5 that he got last year is already running like ass so I don't think I will get a Samsung phone. I hope OnePlus make a follow up phone and do away with idiotic invite, but I don't know what is the future with them and Cyanogen mod.

ElNino

I gave my son an iPod Touch for Christmas, and I was suprised how bad the performance for really simple things can be. Even scrolling through his music was hardly smooth, and good luck jumping through the alphabet with how small the letters are... I almost feel bad giving the recent Xbox Music performance shit after using the iPod... almost.

I actually brought my Zune HD out of hiding for the holiday since we drove down to Florida and I didn't want to load a bunch of music on the 1020. Other than the scrolling not being as responsive as I'm used to on the 1020, it really is still an awesome device. If I listened to music more often than I do these days, I would consider using it day to day again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nope :(

AT&T uses bands 2, 4, 5 & 17

Ok, has this phone gotten the denim update with the faster camera speeds, living images, and hdr? I'm seriously considering leaving the M8. Now my duo camera doesn't work. The only damn camera feature that's worth anything on an otherwise dismal camera and it doesn't work. Sigh.

dLMN8R

I gave my son an iPod Touch for Christmas, and I was suprised how bad the performance for really simple things can be. Even scrolling through his music was hardly smooth, and good luck jumping through the alphabet with how small the letters are... I almost feel bad giving the recent Xbox Music performance shit after using the iPod... almost.

I actually brought my Zune HD out of hiding for the holiday since we drove down to Florida and I didn't want to load a bunch of music on the 1020. Other than the scrolling not being as responsive as I'm used to on the 1020, it really is still an awesome device. If I listened to music more often than I do these days, I would consider using it day to day again.

Most glaring for me is the Control Center gesture on the lock screen. It simply never works the first time. Like, 100% guaranteed. If I swipe up from the bottom on the lock screen, it absolutely will not work the first time. It *might* work on the second time.

hwalker84

Ok, has this phone gotten the denim update with the faster camera speeds, living images, and hdr? I'm seriously considering leaving the M8. Now my duo camera doesn't work. The only damn camera feature that's worth anything on an otherwise dismal camera and it doesn't work. Sigh.
I don't know but if it supported ATT LTE I'd let you know cause I would've ordered it immediately.

catmincer

Yeah I own a Lenovo Yoga Android tablet and the experience is awful. The duplicate apps from both Google and Lenovo (that you can't uninstall) are silly and firmware updates brick your device every 3-4 months. Never ever go Android unless it's Nexus.

There's nothing wrong with Sony phones either. They have a light skin, and their apps are better than the google ones. They just need to be faster with updates and they'd be even better.

There's nothing wrong with Sony phones either. They have a light skin, and their apps are better than the google ones. They just need to be faster with updates and they'd be even better.

Their skin might be light, but it looks so damn mid-2000, it makes me sick.

O9eNmPk.jpg

I hope their 5.0 skin looks miles better. Also, no Qi charging.

Lazaro

Still hoping for a Sony WP.

But would Sony bring their software over? Sony Computer Entertainment didn't seem so keen on bringing the PlayStation Companion app to WP/W8 due to the Windows Platforms being "niche."

Personally, I find that Sony Computer Entertainment seems to favour iOS products over their own company's products. Android ports such of Knack for example are nothing but a copy-paste job from its iOS counterpart. The game runs like shit on my Xperia Z and is scaled incorrectly but it performs gloriously on my old iPhone 4.

Paganmoon

But would Sony bring their software over? Sony Computer Entertainment didn't seem so keen on bringing the PlayStation Companion app to WP/W8 due to the Windows Platforms being "niche."

Personally, I find that Sony Computer Entertainment seems to favour iOS products over their own company's products. Android ports such of Knack for example are nothing but a copy-paste job from its iOS counterpart. The game runs like shit on my Xperia Z and is scaled incorrectly but it performs gloriously on my old iPhone 4.

That's sort of what I'm hoping for really. But as Brot said, they need to be profitable again before even considering it.

KageMaru

My main concern over a Sony phone would be app compatibility. In the recent KOTOR release for Android thread, it seemed like most of the people with incompatible devices were Sony owners.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is it, guys. Alcatel just single handedly saved Windows Phone with the new Pixi 3.

9cYn1PO.png

CES - Las Vegas, January 6th, 2015 – ALCATEL ONETOUCH, one of the world’s fastest-growing smartphone brands, announces the third generation of its PIXI family, offering 3G/4G connectivity and multiple OS platforms. Ranging from a pocket-friendly 3.5-inch display to a larger 5-inch display, the PIXI 3 is the first from the PIXI family to offer both 3G/4G LTE connectivity and function on several operating systems. The PIXI 3 family further offers affordability, accessibility and customization, all in one phone.

Supports Firefox, Android and Windows
“We are proud to announce the launch of our high-performing PIXI 3 family, which supports different OS platforms” says Dan Dery ALCATEL ONTOUCH’s Chief Marketing Officer. “Our consumer-centric vision revolves around ease, accessibility and affordability for our users and the PIXI 3 family has delivered just that.”

Mobile Internet Accessibility for Everyone
First among ALCATEL ONETOUCH’s announcements at CES, the smartphone brand is launching its affordable PIXI 3 family, ranging from a pocket-friendly 3.5-inch display to a larger 5-inch display. Offering both 3G/4G LTE connectivity for the PIXI 3 (4”), (4.5”) and (5”) and 3G for the PIXI 3 (3.5”), the PIXI 3 family further features easy customization and the most popular applications pre-loaded.

Customizable and Equipped with Applications
Users can add a personal flare to their device with a large choice of 9 trendy colors: Volcano Black, White, Amber Orange, Tango Red, Neon Pink, Laser Yellow, Vivid Green, Sharp Blue and Metallic Silver. Pre-loaded with the most popular apps like Facebook, WhatsApp, Viber and graphic filters and photo editors, the PIXI 3 family ensures endless fun for everyone.

Privacy Protection and No More Roaming Charges
The PIXI 3 family devices also permits its principal user to enable Guest Mode, which protects user privacy in certain applications, photos and videos. Going abroad? Simply enable the Dual SIM option to combine and manage two plans and never worry about roaming charges!

Dat 3.5‘’ HVGA, 2 megapixel stunner.

this_guy

¡HarlequinPanic!;146350214 said:
I'm pretty bad at this bands thing, what US carriers would this work on?

I just dropped AT&T and took my lumia 920 to TMo and am mulling over a new phone, I'd stay with the 920 but the headphone jack is busted.

For T-mobile, band 4 (1700/2100mHz) is the primary LTE band, band 2 (1900mhz) is the LTE band they are converting in rural areas from EDGE (2g). This is because for the time being they aren't replacing the antennas at the top of the tower. New devices will be rolling out with band 12 (700mhz) as t-mobile has been buying up this spectrum which will provide better indoor coverage and makes it easier to cover rural areas. Right now the Note 4 and Nexus 6 have band 12 (iphone 6 does not) but all newer phones released from this point should have band 12.

So for T-mobile, you're looking for bands 4, 2, and 12 (in the U.S.)

kazinova

Man, hopefully people can get back to work on rolling out Denim. Next Tuesday for DP? That'd be nice (and won't happen, it'll be Jan 21st, I know better...)

clav

I've never understood why carriers in the US demands exclusive versions of phones.
Holding back updates, putting their ugly logo on it, etc.

Wouldn't Lumia be better off dealing with smaller carriers?
Not exactly.

Rough estimate of the carrier userbase % by my unprofessional analysis:

AT&T: 30%
Verizon: 30%
Sprint: 16%
T-Mobile: 14%
Rest: 10%

By putting flagships on AT&T and Verizon, statistically you are catering to over 50% of the potential smartphone userbase.

The real question is, why didn't MS approach WP like the Lumia 635 except with flagships?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Man, Thurrott bought the 930 at the sale price. His article about it is eerie in how much we value the same things when weighing a smartphone. I knew I should have pulled the trigger.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Tmobiles Windows Phone offerings are atrocious. Wow. Need a new phone and the only things they seem to list are super low end.

dLMN8R

Finally got Denim on my 930, and boy is the camera faster.

I thought it's Lumia Camera 5.0 that speeds up the camera, not just Denim by itself? Eagerly awaiting it on my 830. Especially for built-in HDR so I don't need to rely on insanely slow 3rd-party apps for it.

Top Bottom