• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

Thanks for the link, but the one expansys sells is unlocked, how do I check to see if it has denim? I'm thisclose to selling my 1020 and m8 for this phone, but I want denim. I can't believe ms doesn't include the Nokia firmware with the dp program.

You need to find out where they got the 930 from.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
they'll just do windows 10* now...

*if your device is compatible

I dont care if they decide to limit the Update for few phones. Because lets be honest, you cant hold back on better and new functionality if other hardware cant handle if. But boy, I am gonna be fucking mad and abandon WP if they pull another WP7 to WP8 stunt where the new apps made on WP8 are not compatible on WP7.

I dont care if they decide to limit the Update for few phones. Because lets be honest, you cant hold back on better and new functionality if other hardware cant handle if. But boy, I am gonna be fucking mad and abandon WP if they pull another WP7 to WP8 stunt where the new apps made on WP8 are not compatible on WP7.
Its pretty much guaranteed that new apps won't work on Windows Phone 8.1 because there will be new additional APIs which can be used. You can't use WP8.1 apps on WP8.

[/devils advocate] :p

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Guys, are you excited for the new Lumia 435?

tbQrNME.jpg

Snapdragon 200 chipset, 4” WVGA display. Wow.

Paganmoon

Thanks for the link, but the one expansys sells is unlocked, how do I check to see if it has denim? I'm thisclose to selling my 1020 and m8 for this phone, but I want denim. I can't believe ms doesn't include the Nokia firmware with the dp program.

I believe you have to look under your country, and check "country variant" of the model to see if it's released or not.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
NPU sez: WP8.1 GDR2 skipped, Windows Mobile 10 to be the next preview update.

We have expressed our doubts about Microsoft skipping on Windows Phone 8.1 GDR2 earlier too and now it seems more or less confirmed.

As per our sources, Microsoft is going to push Windows Mobile 10 or Windows 10 Mobile preview to “Insiders” pretty soon. It will be announced during 21st event. This in fact is in line with the original schedule of Windows Phone 9 (Windows Mobile 10 now) that we had reported long time back.

GDR2 was supposed to be out in October but it was later scraped it seems and some of its tipped changes like “Mobile Data Toggle” and Cortana for more arrived with GDR1 version 8.10.14219.314.

Now, it seems the broader hardware support and other UI changes that GDR2 was supposed to bring will come with Windows Mobile 10 preview. So, GDR2 is mostly done away with unless there is some change in plans later.

Just for giggles.

PG2G

Hopefully the WP10 version of the Preview includes firmware support.

One thing to consider though,if this is a Preview like the Desktop preview you might want to exercise some caution before putting it on your device. Those builds don't seem nearly as reliable as the betas we have had in the past.

Edit: Though I guess they have the whole 'ring' concept on the desktop side

Suerte

One thing to consider though,if this is a Preview like the Desktop preview you might want to exercise some caution before putting it on your device. Those builds don't seem nearly as reliable as the betas we have had in the past.

I'm using a 830 as my daily driver at the moment, but might try it out on my 1020 - assuming the camera, etc, would work fine!

hadareud

The Translator

I was thinking about the need for there to be a new preview app the other day (considering there's already one that works perfectly well), I came up with 2 possible reasons:

- it's to unite the phone preview with the existing Windows Insider stuff and move away from calling it developer preview when everyone knows perfectly well that it's nothing to do with developers in reality
- a change in approach meaning that firmware updates are now also included.

I find number 1 far more likely and I'd be a bit surprised if they released fw updates via the Insider channel too, considering the significantly higher chance of new firmware breaking/bricking devices/potentially cause more serious problems than OS updates.

It would be nice, but I think I'd only try it on a second device rather than a main driver.

The ring thing could work well though, if you can specify that you only want OS but no FW previews, for instance.

derFeef

So I noticed that some pins from IE do update the tile from time to time. Like with Steam - it updates the image and news headlines even - but very inconsistent. Other pin's never change. Any reasons behind that or is there a trick to make them update?

stktt

Banned
So I noticed that some pins from IE do update the tile from time to time. Like with Steam - it updates the image and news headlines even - but very inconsistent. Other pin's never change. Any reasons behind that or is there a trick to make them update?

It's something that has to be supported by the website.

KageMaru

If WP10 turns out to be shit, hopefully Lumia owners will be able to roll back still.

joshschw

Oh dang, my capacitive buttons on my 1520 just stopped working sometime between leaving this morning and getting to my appointment 40 minutes later.

Can't believe it... Time for a new phone I guess. Will hopefully pick up another 1520 as cheap as this one was.
edit: screen is cracked in corner too which is why its not repair time but new phone time.

Heretic

I guess it'll be really really cheap

Looks kinda cute tbh.

Yes looks pretty.

The question is how much cheaper than the 535 can they go.

Adorable!
I'd make out with it.

Mary Jo Foley says Windows Mobile 10 public preview coming soon

Fingers crossed - this would be a great surprise if true!

HYPE?

derFeef

Is there an easy way to get the Phone Insider app outside of US? I have no clue how region switching works for Phone related stuff and so on (and if it's a good idea).

edit: simple switch in the OS did the trick ;)

Nero3000

Early lollipop previews on Android phones were also buggy and missing features. It's just the nature of unfinished software.

That's what I am saying. There is a difference between flashing your phone and downloading an app that will update for you from the app store.

I just don't think it should be so easy to initiate

Suerte

Definitely more risky on phones - probably best to give it a few days after it's been released to see what's working well/what isn't and then make a call on whether you should install it.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm going on holiday for a week tomorrow with little access to the internets (that's what happens in the mountains).

No leaks until I'm back, please.

Pooya

They should show off the unified apps with some.... apps and games. Announce something like Monument Valley or similar. I wouldn't expect any hardware announcement there. Those will come closer to launch along with Surface 4.

Is there a flagship app that people harp about like instagram back in the day missing

Snapchat. Especially now that all third party-apps have been removed from the store.

All my friends are on it, so not being able to use it now kinda sucks.

KageMaru

That's what I am saying. There is a difference between flashing your phone and downloading an app that will update for you from the app store.

I just don't think it should be so easy to initiate

Oh I see now. Oddly while it's easy to install beta OS on WP, the people I know who own WP don't know about it and I like to think they represent the general consumer. Plus you need to register yourself as a developer, so it's not quite as easy as downloading an app. Though you still have a point as it's likely there have been some people who know enough to go through with the process but not realize the potential pitfalls.

derFeef

heh

I know it's not.

But I'll be staying in a place with no wifi and the best network connection I can hope for is 3G. In 95% of the places I'll be at it will be Edge. Fucking Edge.

Yup, uploading a runtastic activity takes 5 minutes, had that last weekend...

Top Bottom