• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MS really needs to do better with keeping up with the specs race. I know it's not that important in the grand scheme of things but it looks better when you're trying to compete with flagships using competing OS platforms. Windows mobile 10 better support the snapdragon 810 chip or else there is zero chance any of the manufacturers with 810 equipped phones will consider a windows version.

W10 is the last chance MS has with me. I've been a supporter since the beginning with a WP7 Trophy and I can't continue to support them if they continue to make the same stupid mistakes again and again.

It's all based on the same W8 kernal, so I don't see any compatibility problems.

There are reports about Qualcomm having issues manufacturing the 810 chip and it overheats or throttles the clock speed down significantly. So picking the 805 instead of 810 might just me a safe choice in this case. What they really need to do is stop this marketing bullshit and price their phones accordingly. "Affordable flagship" was bullshit when they announced the phone and it's even more hilarious now.

kharma45

There are reports about Qualcomm having issues manufacturing the 810 chip and it overheats or throttles the clock speed down significantly. So picking the 805 instead of 810 might just me a safe choice in this case. What they really need to do is stop this marketing bullshit and price their phones accordingly. "Affordable flagship" was bullshit when they announced the phone and it's even more hilarious now.

Two absolute embarrassments. That and the whole smartphone beta test is over.

Ape

Banned
I'll give a vague hint:

Some major web sites might be confusing what is concept art, what is really in builds, and the relative age of those things.

I'm ok with waiting for the event. There's just too much in motion right now to get a good grasp of what MS will show later this month.

joshschw

windows10themefull.0.jpg

Aren't there iOS apps that use that style of icons?

This is UGLY and also not suitable for desktop usage where staring at a bunch of same-y icons to figure out what's what makes things super inefficient. I hope this is 'concept-art or 'age of the builds' in effect.

I'm ok with waiting for the event. There's just too much in motion right now to get a good grasp of what MS will show later this month.

I'm trying to tell myself that the event if going to be a bunch of "fucking nothing", but I'm excited about this. Maybe not super optimistic (why would I be?), but excited nonetheless.

KageMaru

Yeah I read about the issues with the 810 chips, was hoping that stuff would be ironed out by the time the WP10 Lumia flagship hits in 2016..er..2015.

Agreed on the marketing bullshit too. The 830 is ~$100 too much and it's a joke that they tried to pass that off as any kind of flagship. I'm sure this was their fallback plan when McLaren was cancelled but that in itself was a screw up IMO. They had to have known that those plans may not have worked out, so they should have had another, more reserved, actual flagship in the wings incase McLaren fell apart. It's yet another sign that they are still a reactionary company instead of being proactive.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
935/940 ... Or whatever... Better have glance screen!

Unacceptable to not have it on a flagship phone :(

Why are you so concerned? Which WP flagship device doesnt have glance screen? Even mid rang L830 does.

btw after using it for almost a year I cant go back to a phone without glance screen lol

Ape

Banned
Can't wait to read the NeoGaf OT for the Windows 10 event. That should be just as fun as the actual event itself.

KageMaru

Why are you so concerned? Which WP flagship device doesnt have glance screen? Even mid rang L830 does.

btw after using it for almost a year I cant go back to a phone without glance screen lol

The 930/Icon doesn't support glance. I missed it at first but have learned to live without it.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
btw what you guys think, how credible is rumor for new flagship device?

The 930/Icon doesn't support glance. I missed it at first but have learned to live without it.

Are you fucking kidding me? That makes zero sense. L1520 does and 930/icon are exactly same phones spec wise but different size. wtf?

Edit

I just searched, wow it indeed doesnt have glance screen. I am shocked.

kharma45

btw what you guys think, how credible is rumor for new flagship device?

Are you fucking kidding me? That makes zero sense. L1520 does and 930/icon are exactly same phones spec wise but different size. wtf?

Edit

I just searched, wow it indeed doesnt have glance screen. I am shocked.

The screen on the 930 lacks the display memory for glance.

On the 21st, Microsoft is more likely to show how "Windows 10 for mobile" runs on low end devices rather than show a true flagship.

Embrace our Lumia 440 future my bros.

pfffft...

I got one right in front of me. It's fat, heavy, got a great camera, no glance and a mediocre battery. It feels more premium than my N5, no doubt. But if I had to chose between the two, it wouldn't be easy for me. The only noticeable improvement would be the camera. Then again, I really have to hand it to LG and Google. Using an actual potato as a camera sensor and still having the phone so thin and light deserves some respect.

stktt

Banned
I love my 930, don't find it thick or heavy at all (the only time I've found those things to be an issue was with the 920), and have never had any trouble getting a full day out of the battery. I just wish Denim was actually released last year as originally planned. The current camera's performance is definitely a huge improvement over the 1020, but it's still not at an ideal level of responsiveness.

Nero3000

I got one right in front of me. It's fat, heavy, got a great camera, no glance and a mediocre battery. It feels more premium than my N5, no doubt. But if I had to chose between the two, it wouldn't be easy for me. The only noticeable improvement would be the camera. Then again, I really have to hand it to LG and Google. Using an actual potato as a camera sensor and still having the phone so thin and light deserves some respect.

1080p OLED, premium feel, i get great battery from mine, speedy.

Well, without a doubt, its the best Windows Phone out there.

You own one? If not, do you think it's worth $399?
I have the Icon as my contract phone, and its the best phone I've ever had. Having a few missing apps sucks
GOOOOGGLLEEE!!!!!
but aside from that I couldn't be happier.
Aside from Verizon leering at me and holding Denim at ransom.
Any news on that?

KageMaru

1080p OLED, premium feel, i get great battery from mine, speedy.

Well, without a doubt, its the best Windows Phone out there.

Agree with this post other than the battery part. I'd say it's average, pretty much on par with the 920. I do have 5 social accounts and 8 email accounts updating on my phone, plus I'm on it much of the afternoon as it's the main way I access the internet. IE does seem to be a battery hog. So I'm sure others could have a better experience with the battery.

Edit: Also love the camera. It always brings a smile to my face hearing or seeing how good the pictures come out. Can't wait for denim and Lumia Camera 5.0 update.

Nero3000

Agree with this post other than the battery part. I'd say it's average, pretty much on par with the 920. I do have 5 social accounts and 8 email accounts updating on my phone, plus I'm on it much of the afternoon as it's the main way I access the internet. IE does seem to be a battery hog. So I'm sure others could have a better experience with the battery.

Edit: Also love the camera. It always brings a smile to my face hearing or seeing how good the pictures come out. Can't wait for denim and Lumia Camera 5.0 update.

I have wireless chargers everywhere, which may be why i never notice the battery.

The only time i see quick drain is when i am on the tube with no signal.

And new phone insider app - i guess this is how we will enroll for pre release WP10 builds:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/phone-insider/ed2b1421-6414-4544-bd8d-06d58ee402a5
e93EQd4.png

4UwWN0G.jpg

Paganmoon

I have wireless chargers everywhere, which may be why i never notice the battery.

The only time i see quick drain is when i am on the tube with no signal.

And new phone insider app - i guess this is how we will enroll for pre release WP10 builds:

e93EQd4.png

4UwWN0G.jpg

where did you get that app?

Also my biggest battery drain is easily IE, I can't believe how much battery I loose just by browsing GAF for 30 minutes, usually when I do that, the phone alerts me that battery is draining very quickly (over 25% per hour).

Also notice quite a huge drain when abroad, could be with different bands being used then though.

MCD

Hate how MS is holding out 1020 update for non carrier phones. Phone is freezing randomly and they acknowledged the problem and yet nope, wait for the rollout!

Top Bottom