• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
The only horrible thing is that I won't be able to watch The Arsenal next Sunday because I can't get a connection fast enough.

Luckily I'll be too drunk the rest of the time to mind re-entering the technological dark ages.

hadareud

The Translator
Well, the last 2 times that I couldn't see an Arsenal game was at City in 08/09 (we lost 3-0) and at Sunderland in the cup a few seasons ago (we lost 2-0, I think).

So while you could say that it's a blessing in disguise, being a football fan and completely mental deep down I feel like the reason we lost is because I didn't watch. No amount of evidence (no amount of painful evidence) can change my mind.

So I must watch.

That's also the reason I go to every home game no matter how I feel (CL group stage excluded, I just cannot be arsed to go for that sometimes). Once I was going to go to an away screening but I was very ill so I didn't go last minute. That was the 4-4 at Newcastle.

Quite something for someone who supposedly prides himself in his sceptical evidence based thinking.

That Chrome browser thread is hilarious.

Guy complains about the Google sign-in stuff in Chrome, explains why he doesn't want that (and apparently there's no way around it?) and how he deleted the created profile and his stuff is gone. And most people respond with "omg, u so dumb. why wouldn't you want that! so convenient and awesome!".

It's like people sometimes don't get that options are good to have.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970151

Zeknurn

That's Apple. Google gives you plenty of options (just look at Android vs iOS or Windows Phone). But they really want you to use their services.

Is it now possible to opt out of their tracking and profiling when using their browser/OS? I haven't used their services outside of Youtube in ages so I wouldn't know if they have made any changes.

PG2G

That Chrome browser thread is hilarious.

Guy complains about the Google sign-in stuff in Chrome, explains why he doesn't want that (and apparently there's no way around it?) and how he deleted the created profile and his stuff is gone. And most people respond with "omg, u so dumb. why wouldn't you want that! so convenient and awesome!".

It's like people sometimes don't get that options are good to have.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=970151

I don't know, its not like he gave a good reason. It's kind of like complaining that you shouldn't need a Microsoft id to use a windows phone because a phone is just meant for making calls and playing games, not collecting information on you.

As easy as people think options are, they can make software very complicated.

I don't know, its not like he gave a good reason. It's kind of like complaining that you shouldn't need a Microsoft id to use a windows phone because a phone is just meant for making calls and playing games, not collecting information on you.

As easy as people think options are, they can make software very complicated.

We're talking about a browser, something that should be a tool to view web content first. There's literally no need to force a personalized profile on the user.

And yes, it does annoy me that Google asks me to add payment options to my account, whenever I want to download or update a free app. At least they haven't removed the skip button. Yet.

JaggedSac

Microsoft’s PureView cameras fare better, but the Windows Phone camera app is comparatively slow and unintuitive, and there’s a reason why former Lumia chief Ari Partinen is now tagging his photos with #iPhone6Plus instead of #Lumia1520.

lol, yeah, and it rhymes with smo smoney

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The thing about the iPhone is that the camera is FAST and it takes great pictures at the first try, whereas even high end Lumias take their sweet time to launch the camera app and some times you need to fiddle around until you get that great shot (poor white balance being the main culprit). WITH THAT SAID, that article is a load of bollocks for a good number of reasons, this one being one of the most laughable:

Microsoft’s PureView cameras fare better, but the Windows Phone camera app is comparatively slow and unintuitive, and there’s a reason why former Lumia chief Ari Partinen is now tagging his photos with #iPhone6Plus instead of #Lumia1520.

COULD IT BE BECAUSE APPLE IS HIS NEW EMPLOYER? FFS, Vlad.

KageMaru

They obviously aren't considering the denim update and updated camera app in their ignorant article. I can't stand that site and it's insane how many people fall for their bullshit.

toff74

In fairness to the verge article...

I was recently given an iPhone 6+ from work and was just tooling around with it as you do with any piece of new tech you get.. and happened to stumble across the camera.

As unbiased as I can be (Windows Phone user since the JamJar or whatever it was called) I really wanted to capture moments of my newborn. Being the speedy little bugger he is I need a camera which starts up quickly and takes a good/decent picture first time.

My Lumia 920 has always taken great pictures, only its really slow compared to the iphone and the quality is pretty similar (to my untrained eye). So now I just use the iPhone. It suits me and my photo needs better and I guess mirrors what is in the Verge article.

When/If Denim is released I'll give it a go. But as I have no idea when its coming i'll stick with the iPhone. Simple as that.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It is definitely fast and the slow mo is cool (but gimmicky for the most part).

I have the new Lumia Camera app on my 830 (well kinda, it is a bit janky since either the app is not official or I don't have official Denim) is very fast.

They obviously aren't considering the denim update and updated camera app in their ignorant article. I can't stand that site and it's insane how many people fall for their bullshit.

Why would they consider an update that is only available to a fraction of users on a tiny platform? It might as well not exist at this point.

And are there speed comparisons between the iPhone and a Lumia with Denim? Because I have my doubts that it's just as fast and good. If that's the case, then it's definitely a huge plus.

e: Because I'm already looking for a phone to replace my Nexus 5 in the next 6 months, I hope that Windows 10 brings a good and fresh take on Metro and that Microsoft is going to slim the 930 down to the current 830. I want at least the same resolution, camera and thickness. And battery life that won't annoy me, of course.

kharma45

I wonder why they're limiting the new app to only Pureview phones. The quick start up time is what I want the most on my 735.

Why would they consider an update that is only available to a fraction of users on a tiny platform? It might as well not exist at this point.

And are there speed comparisons between the iPhone and a Lumia with Denim? Because I have my doubts that it's just as fast and good. If that's the case, then it's definitely a huge plus.

e: Because I'm already looking for a phone to replace my Nexus 5 in the next 6 months, I hope that Windows 10 brings a good and fresh take on Metro and that Microsoft is going to slim the 930 down to the current 830. I want at least the same resolution, camera and thickness. And battery life that won't annoy me, of course.

Start up speed is much, much better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaoWDkTVbrY iPhone is likely imperceptibly faster if at all.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

I'm pretty sure the iPhone 6s is going to take better picture then your old 920. That's not a good comparison. But given that speed is the main metric that the article uses, then it still beats even the 1020 and 930. A better speed/auto mode on the Lumias would be good, but I still want a beast mode camera and the advanced options. I still want the option to take incredible pictures, even if it takes a bit longer. Because, while you can get a good shot from an iPhone quickly, you simply will never match some of the pictures I've taken with my 1020, no matter how much time I give you.

joshschw

I think the 930/1520 with Denim seems pretty darn fast considering it's pushing nearly three times as many pixels as the iPhone!

I love that Verge article though. It's ridiculous just taken on its own, but why is it an article at all?

This man HATES your phone camera - Click here to find out why!

I've made my peace with 6 small tiles across, but keeping the largest tile size as 2x4 is still painful. The whole point of Metro to me is big colorful tiles.

KageMaru

I was recently given an iPhone 6+ from work and was just tooling around with it as you do with any piece of new tech you get.. and happened to stumble across the camera.

As unbiased as I can be (Windows Phone user since the JamJar or whatever it was called) I really wanted to capture moments of my newborn. Being the speedy little bugger he is I need a camera which starts up quickly and takes a good/decent picture first time.

My Lumia 920 has always taken great pictures, only its really slow compared to the iphone and the quality is pretty similar (to my untrained eye). So now I just use the iPhone. It suits me and my photo needs better and I guess mirrors what is in the Verge article.

When/If Denim is released I'll give it a go. But as I have no idea when its coming i'll stick with the iPhone. Simple as that.

That all makes perfect sense and it's easy to see why you would use the iPhone. Sadly when/if your phone gets denim, the speed improvements won't be there due to how old the hardware in the 920 is.

I just think if you're going to make comparisons, you should do it with the latest updates and software, otherwise it's not an accurate comparison. If it was any other site I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, but since they are Apple's cheerleaders, it makes the whole article suspicious IMO.

Sony should have went with Windows Phone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/12/us-sony-ceo-idUSKBN0KL27F20150112

They make nice looking phone but the price and the often outdated software and terrible screen have me consider other choice.

Speaking of camera the last update to Lumia camera, the app is faster and take slightly quicker picture but the WB is really mess up. My wife is getting somewhat frustrated with her 1020 (not on Dev. Preview) with the slow camera launch and often freezing up. She will probably go iPhone for next upgrade. The Verge might be bias but for average user like my wife Apple got it right when it come to camera phone. Android is terrible even with all the app choice on the Play store I have yet to find one that make my OPO take better pictures. (Thought last update improve it quite a bit).

I agree, speed and white balance issues on the 1020 are a big turn off for regular folk. I can see why the xenon flash was removed from McLaren. Algorithms for the 1020's white balance must have been a nightmare.

MCD

There is no helping speed issues on 1020 but newer phones should be at least as fast as iPhones now with Denim, no?

toff74

That all makes perfect sense and it's easy to see why you would use the iPhone. Sadly when/if your phone gets denim, the speed improvements won't be there due to how old the hardware in the 920 is.

Which puts me in a bit of a dilemma.. I'm due an upgrade in 2 weeks time and on my top 3 requirements is a good and quick camera. I have never considered moving away from WP, but now that I've dipped my toe in the muddy iPhone waters its easy to get tempted. Especially when the WP roadmap (phones not OS) is so, well who knows?

kharma45

I want a better phone :(
I like my 630 but battery, camera and ram is bothering me more and more.

My girlfriend and I got her aunt recently to embrace the smartphone world and she got a 630 for £55. For that sort of money it is a solid device, but I'm glad that I ponied up the extra when I was buying and went for the 735. It's an almost perfect mid range device. Only irks are the lack of a camera shutter button and not having proper buttons below the screen.

Other than that I love it. Great screen, fantastic battery, performance is smooth and cameras, both front and back, have impressed me. Really hard phone to knock.

Nero3000

Sony should have went with Windows Phone.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/12/us-sony-ceo-idUSKBN0KL27F20150112

They make nice looking phone but the price and the often outdated software and terrible screen have me consider other choice.

Speaking of camera the last update to Lumia camera, the app is faster and take slightly quicker picture but the WB is really mess up. My wife is getting somewhat frustrated with her 1020 (not on Dev. Preview) with the slow camera launch and often freezing up. She will probably go iPhone for next upgrade. The Verge might be bias but for average user like my wife Apple got it right when it come to camera phone. Android is terrible even with all the app choice on the Play store I have yet to find one that make my OPO take better pictures. (Thought last update improve it quite a bit).

Yeah, Sony do make nice phones an di think the screen on the Z3 is top notch. However, lets not pretend that making a Windows Phone would help them in any way.

Just like Samsung has swept up all the users of Android, Nokia/Microsoft has swept up all the WP users...and with good reason. Nokia was the only manufacturer that gave a damn...and for that they deserve their >90% share of WP. No one is going to, or should by a non-nokia/microsoft phone in great numbers.

nubbe

The touch screen on the 535 is fucking horrible
Either it doesn't register that you are fingering it or it instantly double taps

I hope my 535 is just defective...

Yeah, Sony do make nice phones an di think the screen on the Z3 is top notch. However, lets not pretend that making a Windows Phone would help them in any way.

Just like Samsung has swept up all the users of Android, Nokia/Microsoft has swept up all the WP users...and with good reason. Nokia was the only manufacturer that gave a damn...and for that they deserve their >90% share of WP. No one is going to, or should by a non-nokia/microsoft phone in great numbers.

It was a joke. You know how Nokia should have gone Android. Hey what if Sony had gone with Windows Phone and instead of Nokia Microsoft bought out Sony. GAF would exploded.

Z3 might have nice screen but the previous one got some mixed review.

kharma45

Either it doesn't register that you are fingering it or it instantly double taps

There is a bug with it. Have you checked for any updates? There was one released to help remedy it.

Pooya

Mine is terrible too, I updated the phone to that the firmware fix they released, it got a little bit better, now swipe keyboard is usable still not exactly good. Comparing it with a LG L70 or even Lumia 520, it was far far worse, I wasn't expecting flaship level touch response but this is terrible. It's not double tapping or not responding that annoys me, it's that the touch response lags way too much. Pinch to zoom is terrible. Beside that it's functional.

Apparently there is a new hardware version 0.5.0.0 that doesn't have any touch issue, mine is 3.0.0.0. I'm looking to maybe exchange it.

Beside this problem, the OS feels very buggy. VPN can hang the phone, start screen stucks in 'resuming...'. Whenever I change something in navigation settings, I get the message that 'it's always available etc' ticking the checkbox to not show it again doesn't work. and some other small bugs.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it to anyone right now.

edit: One last thing, it's the rear cover. this thing is too thin, like really bad (mine is black model). I bet after a few times removing it, it will fall apart.

Top Bottom