• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's so frustrating, because material design is very modern, but the way android works, most people won't see it. Only Nexus phones or gpe phones will see the cool new design. I'll still be stuck with sense. Which was fine when android looked like kit kat, but not now.

Whatever Microsoft comes up with will be available across every device that gets the update. Also, I still believe metro is the best home screen of any smartphone os. In looks and functionality.

Milchjon

The ugliest things about Metro seem to be at the very base level. A lot of elements like the alerts/pop ups, lists like the settings etc. look really horrible when implemented in the most basic way. Even stuff like Cortana could really need some sprucing up to look a little bit more inviting and sophisticated.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is a bit of a metadiscussion, but can we please talk about how SHITE is The Verge these days? I won't even link the article this time, just focus on Vlad's headline:

Samsung is building a Tizen iceberg for Google's Titanic

This is related to the launch of the new Samsung Z1.

#kek

Milchjon

The Verge has been absolutely terrible ever since shortly before Topolsky left.

Looks like they're allowed to write about anything that pops into their head, and the only thing the editors look at to judge an article's value is whether the headline is clickbaity enough.

The headline race to the bottom is crazy right now. I mean, just look at this actual Jalopnik headline:

These Are The Ford GT Photos That Will Make Ferrari Shit Their Dicks

Doffen

"...will go on sale in select countries in Europe."

If Microsoft would start announcing these select countries before it's released I would be so happy.

nubbe

There is a bug with it. Have you checked for any updates? There was one released to help remedy it.

Had a look at the web
Turning off the Screen Magnifier fixed the issue for me

what a terrible disaster for Microsoft to have your first branded phone be next to useless out of the box

But, i'm starting to like the phone now... good value for the money

Windows 10 Event |OT| 8, Nein, 10

The renewed interest in supporting PC games most likely.

In before, the huge list of bullshit that gets repeated every single year.

e: Why not post it.

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

KageMaru

Windows 10 Event |OT| 8, Nein, 10

In before, the huge list of bullshit that gets repeated every single year.

e: Why not post it.

Oh I'm not saying I'll believe whatever they do say, that's for sure. The unfortunate reality is that MS game studios is not large enough to properly support both PC and console without one suffering. The best support they could do for PC gaming is to provide better tools like DX12.

lol, this.

You up for it brot?

Not sure yet. I'm too afraid that I style it all Material Design. :lol

Oh I'm not saying I'll believe whatever they do say, that's for sure. The unfortunate reality is that MS game studios is not large enough to properly support both PC and console without one suffering. The best support they could do for PC gaming is to provide better tools like DX12.

If only Microsoft had game studios dedicated to PC games. Like Ensemble Studios! Or, I don't know, FASA or Aces perhaps? If only!

we heard you guys like xbox so much that I'm proud to announce that Xbox is taking over the Windows division. For sale with Windows-box 10 is three tiers: Gold, Platinum, and Silver

You can be a part of Windows Gold, which allows access to KILLER apps like Facebook, Notepad, and Calculator.

Or, buy the Digital Deluxe edition, which comes with XBOX MUSIC BUILT-IN, you don't even have to download it! Also 10 free wallpapers.

Platinum includes the classics like USB support, and Multi-threaded operation along with every hip, business savvy you currently know and love (like Recycle Bin).

Silver is the free Windows you always wanted*

*Silver comes with Bing preloaded and ads on wallpaper and search. File System is not included in Silver edition.

Heretic

we heard you guys like xbox so much that I'm proud to announce that Xbox is taking over the Windows division. For sale with Windows-box 10 is three tiers: Gold, Platinum, and Silver

You can be a part of Windows Gold, which allows access to KILLER apps like Facebook, Notepad, and Calculator.

Or, buy the Digital Deluxe edition, which comes with XBOX MUSIC BUILT-IN, you don't even have to download it! Also 10 free wallpapers.

Platinum includes the classics like USB support, and Multi-threaded operation along with every hip, business savvy you currently know and love (like Recycle Bin).

Silver is the free Windows you always wanted*

*Silver comes with Bing preloaded and ads on wallpaper and search. File System is not included in Silver edition.
SO MUCH FUCKING HYPE I CANT EVEN

No Zune support, no buy.

Hype deflated...

derFeef

Anyone using a bluetooth heartrate monitor with runtastic (not the runtastic one, that seems to be crap)? Apparently they work with 8.1 and BT LE but I wanna be sure.

joshschw

With the tap problem? Ehhhh.

Having owned 1520 for few months now, whats the tap problem? The screen is very sensitive if that's what you mean, a very light swipe may register as a tap in the middle of it, but I think it's just the screen being sensitive to touches/scrolling. It's not a bad thing, just what is going to happen on a sensitive screen IMO.

MCD

I don't want a big phone. I want something like the 930 but with glance or the next gen 1020.

not too much to ask for.

Pooya

I want a flip phone. Just look at what we use now, it's objectively inferior. Look at all the people using cases, flip phones need no cases.

I want a flip phone. Just look at what we use now, it's objectively inferior. Look at all the people using cases, flip phones need no cases.

Thank God for Samsung.

2i2ekYF.jpg

Having owned 1520 for few months now, whats the tap problem? The screen is very sensitive if that's what you mean, a very light swipe may register as a tap in the middle of it, but I think it's just the screen being sensitive to touches/scrolling. It's not a bad thing, just what is going to happen on a sensitive screen IMO.

It was a lot worse when the phone came out a year ago. It hardly ever happens now, not really an issue anymore.

Top Bottom