• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Pooya

nokia-n90-01.jpg

this beauty is 10 years old.

I'm considering getting a Lumia 930. Having had a samsung g s2 for over 2 years. So kind of hoped some users of it are in here, if I may ask a few user experience questions, which hopefully can be answered. :)

1. Does it sync well between a surface pro and desktop pc, win8.1?
  2. How is the wireless hotspot function? Since I normally use my phone as that for my tablet/surface pro, when out.
  3. Does it have any apps for Chromecast?
  4. Any experience with cracked screens, as in, is it sturdy? (Haven't cracked my galaxy s2 once but dropped it plenty)
  5. Should I wait for the next line, since a windows event is almost here, or is the 930 more than refined a phone to last 1-2 year?
  6. How is the music quality, when using bluetooth headphones, or just music quality in general, any EQ options?

Sorry for the inconvenience, just really thinking about jumping over to windows phone now. Also the camera sounded like a great feature since it makes the images DNG, for maybe detailed photoshop edits.

I'm considering getting a Lumia 930. Having had a samsung g s2 for over 2 years. So kind of hoped some users of it are in here, if I may ask a few user experience questions, which hopefully can be answered. :)

2. How is the wireless hotspot function? Since I normally use my phone as that for my tablet/surface pro, when out.
  4. Any experience with cracked screens, as in, is it sturdy? (Haven't cracked my galaxy s2 once but dropped it plenty)
  5. Should I wait for the next line, since a windows event is almost here, or is the 930 more than refined a phone to last 1-2 year?
  6. How is the music quality, when using bluetooth headphones, or just music quality in general, any EQ options?

Sorry for the inconvenience, just really thinking about jumping over to windows phone now. Also the camera sounded like a great feature since it makes the images DNG, for maybe detailed photoshop edits.

1. not at all
2. It should be great with Windows 8.1
3. There is Tubecast and it's supposed to be great
4. Nope
5. Well, it's 2013 hardware. I wouldn't pick it up anymore, but I'm not trustworthy.
6. No idea.

Nero3000

1. The syncing usually happens via the cloud, but files can be drag and drop. There is a sync app for windows but its basic and almost unnecessary.

2. Works great. There's some nice synergy that your phone will be listed as a WiFi on the surface pro, and when you connect to it it'll send a Bluetooth signal to the phone and it'll auto turn on the hotspot functionality without you having to take out your phone

3. One or two, but google is being a complete dick about it

4. Yeah I dropped my 930 on the pavement after a night out. It was naked and landed right on the corner. The glass is cracked on the corner. But I reckon its sturdy enough to survive most falls, mine was just a bad landing.

5. Next flagships are rumoured to be out in September. However the 930 should be strong for the next couple of years and will get updates for the foreseeable future

6. Music quality is fine for my ears (shure se215) and via Bluetooth speakers. I wouldn't worry about it.

joshschw

1. not at all
4. Nope
5. Well, it's 2013 hardware. I wouldn't pick it up anymore, but I'm not trustworthy.
6. No idea.

You are making up stories again, brot. It definitely syncs your theme color between PC and phone! :D

n64coder

1. The syncing usually happens via the cloud, but files can be drag and drop. There is a sync app for windows but its basic and almost unnecessary.

Agreed. I don't ever have my phone connected to the PC other than to charge it at work. All of my photos are synced to OneDrive and accessed from there. Using the web or the phone, I can buy/install apps. From the phone, it's backed up to OneDrive.

Works really nice. I have the 1020.

catmincer

It was a joke. You know how Nokia should have gone Android. Hey what if Sony had gone with Windows Phone and instead of Nokia Microsoft bought out Sony. GAF would exploded.

Z3 might have nice screen but the previous one got some mixed review.

I have a z2. The screen is better than the z3 one.

The z1 they used a combination of good screens and crap left over from the z.

This event better have a new 1020 successor, I really want a better camera. 😔

1 - It was supposed to sync networks and passwords. All have been spotty for me. Network syncing has been terribad. Hope this gets improved big time on windows 10.
Edit: And beware of onedrive. If you are connected to a not very good network it will say it uploaded all your pictures even when it didn't. So it wouldn't hurt to checkup if they are there before deleting them from the phone.

2 - That's actually awesome. On my surface the shared network appears even if I'm not sharing, and if I connect to it it will automatically set it up and start sharing.

3 - There's tubecast. But I never tried with my chromecast XD

4 - My brother dropped his. The screen cracked pretty bad but it was still 100% functional.

5- I'm on the same boat. The 930 is so fast that's making me wanting to jump over, but I want a new phone and successor of my 1020 :(

6 - I only use BT for music on my car. Great music quality, no EQ controls that I can find (though the car does have those). My problem lies in xbox music. Their music are not normalized (at least some of then are not), so every now and then I turn the volume up to hear a very low song, and then on the next song I get a little deaf.

1. not at all
4. Nope
6. No idea.

Hehe, alright, thanks for the insight though.

2. Works great. There's some nice synergy that your phone will be listed as a WiFi on the surface pro, and when you connect to it it'll send a Bluetooth signal to the phone and it'll auto turn on the hotspot functionality without you having to take out your phone

3. One or two, but google is being a complete dick about it

4. Yeah I dropped my 930 on the pavement after a night out. It was naked and landed right on the corner. The glass is cracked on the corner. But I reckon its sturdy enough to survive most falls, mine was just a bad landing.

5. Next flagships are rumoured to be out in September. However the 930 should be strong for the next couple of years and will get updates for the foreseeable future

6. Music quality is fine for my ears (shure se215) and via Bluetooth speakers. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks a lot, the part of sending a signal to turn on hotspot signal, is quite a handy feature, which fits me perfectly. And I utilize the drag and drop a lot between my surface pro and desktop, so this is also welcoming thing to know.

1 - It was supposed to sync networks and passwords. All have been spotty for me. Network syncing has been terribad. Hope this gets improved big time on windows 10.
Edit: And beware of onedrive. If you are connected to a not very good network it will say it uploaded all your pictures even when it didn't. So it wouldn't hurt to checkup if they are there before deleting them from the phone.

2 - That's actually awesome. On my surface the shared network appears even if I'm not sharing, and if I connect to it it will automatically set it up and start sharing.

3 - There's tubecast. But I never tried with my chromecast XD

4 - My brother dropped his. The screen cracked pretty bad but it was still 100% functional.

5- I'm on the same boat. The 930 is so fast that's making me wanting to jump over, but I want a new phone and successor of my 1020 :(

6 - I only use BT for music on my car. Great music quality, no EQ controls that I can find (though the car does have those). My problem lies in xbox music. Their music are not normalized (at least some of then are not), so every now and then I turn the volume up to hear a very low song, and then on the next song I get a little deaf.

Thanks, these information means a lot, think I'm going to get it then, the bad doesn't seem so bad, and the good are something I really like having. :)

stktt

Banned
Denim was finally released for my 930. The camera's launch and shot times are pretty much instant, and Rich Capture works better than expected. The 1020 is still capable of taking better photos, but there's no way I would go back to using one now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Denim was finally released for my 930. The camera's launch and shot times are pretty much instant, and Rich Capture works better than expected. The 1020 is still capable of taking better photos, but there's no way I would go back to using one now.

Urge to buy 930..... Rising

Paganmoon

I'm more concerned about the lack of Denim for the 920. It was the flagship device and the best selling WP handset for a long time, yet their updates take forever to start rolling.

Released November 2012, It's old in Smartphone years, wouldn't expect much support for it nowdays.

Montresor

I'm getting tired of Windows phone. Go to a restaurant's web site: "Download our app!!!" and there's an App Store and Google Play link but nothing for Windows phone. No TSN app, no 999, no Ace Attorney, not even Cortana (for my region). I've had the phone for probably more than 6+ months and someone on the train home yesterday was showing me Cortana on his 1020. I was like "buh? how do I get that?". The answer was "You gotta change your region to US bro". I find it very very distasteful that this kind of thing is region "locked" in such a half-assed way. Why is it that cool stuff like Cortana is not just automatically downloaded to my Windows phone? Does an iOS user in Canada get stuck with iOS7 unless he/she changes his region to the USA?

I'm thinking of switching back to iOS the next time I get a phone.

I think what pisses me off the most is the IMDB app. It's ugly and looks like the web site. When I had iPhone4 I used to love the damn IMDB app so much.

And the Netflix app, ugh. I had Lumia 920 for a year and Lumia 1520 for 6 months after that, and for 90% of my time as a Windows Phone owner, the Netlfix app was just awful: 1) Any time you brought the UI up, it would stay there for 5 seconds and would not go away even if you tapped the screen again, and 2) No way to switch between family profiles. They just recently updated the Netflix app with fixes for items #1 and #2. But ugh, *shudder*.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting tired of Windows phone. Go to a restaurant's web site: "Download our app!!!" and there's an App Store and Google Play link but nothing for Windows phone. No TSN app, no 999, no Ace Attorney, not even Cortana (for my region). I've had the phone for probably more than 6+ months and someone on the train home yesterday was showing me Cortana on his 1020. I was like "buh? how do I get that?". The answer was "You gotta change your region to US bro". I find it very very distasteful that this kind of thing is region "locked" in such a half-assed way. Why is it that cool stuff like Cortana is not just automatically downloaded to my Windows phone? Does an iOS user in Canada get stuck with iOS7 unless he/she changes his region to the USA?

I'm thinking of switching back to iOS the next time I get a phone.

I think what pisses me off the most is the IMDB app. It's ugly and looks like the web site. When I had iPhone4 I used to love the damn IMDB app so much.

Ask yourself, do you really need that restaurants app...

I'm annoyed that I have to switch to US Cortana, but she works great.

Montresor

Ask yourself, do you really need that restaurants app...

I'm annoyed that I have to switch to US Cortana, but she works great.

Agreed about the restaurants app. But damn. Stuff like 999 or Ghost Trick or Ace Attorney should have been released with XBL support by now. When I initially got my first Windows Phone (Lumia 920) I had a 6-month long honeymoon. I had an explosion of awesome games to play, all with achievement support. Cut the Rope, Cut the Rope Experiments, Flight Control, Wordament, ilomilo, Mush, Contre Jour...

When is the last time a legitimately good puzzle game was released with achievements?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
No Glance...

No glance on my M8 either. The lack of sd card is much more of a big deal imo.

Edit: if you're a super heavy apps/mobile gaming person, windows phone isn't for you. Full stop. The only way to make it somewhat work is to complement the phone with an iPad or android tablet. And not everyone wants to do that.

For me, the camera and basics of browser/phone/texting matter a lot more, so I prefer windows phone. But I have access to all platforms, so a missing app isn't a big deal.

Montresor

The big issue with me is I absolutely despite iTunes, and I despise the Android OS. I'm bummed about app selection but on second thought because of those reasons I don't think I'd move to iOS or Android any time soon.

I LOVE the Windows Phone OS. It is so simple and clean and beautiful. The square tiles are fantastic. Just a shame about the apps.

NeOak

I'm getting tired of Windows phone. Go to a restaurant's web site: "Download our app!!!" and there's an App Store and Google Play link but nothing for Windows phone. No TSN app, no 999, no Ace Attorney, not even Cortana (for my region).
That's because the 8.1 web browser uses the same referrer as iOS/Android

Twitch always asks me to download the iOS app lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed about the restaurants app. But damn. Stuff like 999 or Ghost Trick or Ace Attorney should have been released with XBL support by now. When I initially got my first Windows Phone (Lumia 920) I had a 6-month long honeymoon. I had an explosion of awesome games to play, all with achievement support. Cut the Rope, Cut the Rope Experiments, Flight Control, Wordament, ilomilo, Mush, Contre Jour...

When is the last time a legitimately good puzzle game was released with achievements?

Yeah, it would be nice to have more game. Myself though, for whatever reason I have trouble mustering the urge to play a lot of mobile games. Having an iPhone for me o don't think would change that.

I do like MS Bingo though, lol

MCD

No glance on my M8 either. The lack of sd card is much more of a big deal imo.

Edit: if you're a super heavy apps/mobile gaming person, windows phone isn't for you. Full stop. The only way to make it somewhat work is to complement the phone with an iPad or android tablet. And not everyone wants to do that.

For me, the camera and basics of browser/phone/texting matter a lot more, so I prefer windows phone. But I have access to all platforms, so a missing app isn't a big deal.

don't care about sd cards because all my pics are on onedrive or pc. glance though...I don't want to buy a high end phone that lacks a feature found in the majority of low end lumias. just unacceptable.

JaggedSac

Yeah, it would be nice to have more game. Myself though, for whatever reason I have trouble mustering the urge to play a lot of mobile games. Having an iPhone for me o don't think would change that.

I do like MS Bingo though, lol

I play games when I'm on the can.

Nero3000

Denim for ALL 920's out now!

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-clarifies-lumia-denim-update-name-only
This answer explains why many people are reporting their devices now say Lumia Denim even if they did not get an update. It appears that under Extras + Info, the change from Cyan to Denim can be triggered by hitting a particular OS version. For some people, this can change based on their Preview for Developer status (enrolled versus non-enrolled can change it).

The reason for that "trigger" is that some devices, like a Lumia 520 or Lumia 920, will not get new firmware. However, when they are at the right OS level – either through Preview or official Windows Phone 8.1.1 update – the phone will rightly "switch" to Lumia Denim.

joshschw

This was obvious and they never stated otherwise. You see all these people clamoring for 'Denim' on their old devices, and can't give even a single reason as to why they need it so badly since the word has always been that the Denim enhancements are for newer devices only.

The latest Lumia Camera update really improved startup speed for all devices, unrelated to Denim, so people should just be happy with that since that's all Denim was ever stated to really be anyway.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This was obvious and they never stated otherwise. You see all these people clamoring for 'Denim' on their old devices, and can't give even a single reason as to why they need it so badly since the word has always been that the Denim enhancements are for newer devices only.
There's a fuckton of good stuff on Denim I want for my 920, though. The new alarm clock management, for starters. After living with a 830 for a while, my beautiful 920 feels a tad old.

ElNino

Whether it's Denim or Update 1, I need it for the freezing bug in 1020 asap.
What freezing bug do you have on your 1020? I get way more "resuming" now than I did before, but I'm not sure I've noticed any other adverse effects lately.

The latest Lumia Camera update really improved startup speed for all devices, unrelated to Denim, so people should just be happy with that since that's all Denim was ever stated to really be anyway.

Most people here are on the dev preview, so it's easy to forget that the Lumia firmware updates also include OS updates. In this case it's Update 1 that comes with Denim. Why wouldn't people want that on their old phones?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
What freezing bug do you have on your 1020? I get way more "resuming" now than I did before, but I'm not sure I've noticed any other adverse effects lately.

I'm using the 1020 as my daily driver this weekend, my main problem is the lag on the start screen. Crazy considering how rock solid it was for earlier versions.

I have denim and cortana and everything. I dont get how to enable hey Cortana? Also: I still have the music tile, isn't it supposed to automatically create an Xbox services tiles or something?

Top Bottom