• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Heretic

The big issue with me is I absolutely despite iTunes, and I despise the Android OS. I'm bummed about app selection but on second thought because of those reasons I don't think I'd move to iOS or Android any time soon.

I LOVE the Windows Phone OS. It is so simple and clean and beautiful. The square tiles are fantastic. Just a shame about the apps.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

I get the urge to switch every now and then too but I enjoy the OS far too much to leave it.

Hey cortana needs a snapdragon 800 phone and to be plugged in to a charger.

wut...

n64coder

6 - I only use BT for music on my car. Great music quality, no EQ controls that I can find (though the car does have those). My problem lies in xbox music. Their music are not normalized (at least some of then are not), so every now and then I turn the volume up to hear a very low song, and then on the next song I get a little deaf.

I see EQ controls under Settings -> Audio. Did you see those?

What's the story on using WP for NFC payments? Is it possible today?

stktt

Banned
I have denim and cortana and everything. I dont get how to enable hey Cortana? Also: I still have the music tile, isn't it supposed to automatically create an Xbox services tiles or something?

Check the very bottom the settings page. It's technically an app and disabled by default. You don't need to have it plugged in.

Agreed about the restaurants app. But damn. Stuff like 999 or Ghost Trick or Ace Attorney should have been released with XBL support by now. When I initially got my first Windows Phone (Lumia 920) I had a 6-month long honeymoon. I had an explosion of awesome games to play, all with achievement support. Cut the Rope, Cut the Rope Experiments, Flight Control, Wordament, ilomilo, Mush, Contre Jour...

When is the last time a legitimately good puzzle game was released with achievements?

Get Gunhouse. Awesome free puzzle game.

Milchjon

Thank you, that looks really great. If MS can update the aesthetics and put out a good $399 device, I might be back this year.

ByeBitch.gif

BTW, Cortana is the best. Was looking for the GIF above:

PyA1yOt.jpg

Tom mentions some improvements to the Camera app. Does it help 1020 owners? He mentions the rich capture mode. Is that available on 1020 or is it only for 930?
Only newer phone from what I read there is no benefit to old phone like 1020 or 920. Frankly after reading that I think I am a little annoy because 1020 camera really need better software. I have been using the 1020 on and off but the camera resuming and weird White balance is really pissi me off. Denim camera not support for 1020 just really turn me off about the idea of coming back to Windows Phone. I think the reason given was the hardware limitation.

Nero3000

Only newer phone from what I read there is no benefit to old phone like 1020 or 920. Frankly after reading that I think I am a little annoy because 1020 camera really need better software. I have been using the 1020 on and off but the camera resuming and weird White balance is really pissin me off. Denim camera not support for 1020 just really turn me off about the idea of coming back to Windows Phone.

The 1020 was always a hack to get the 40mp asap. The snapdragon chipset didn't support 40mp natively and they had to completely rewrite the imaging stack to get it to work.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The 1020 was always a hack to get the 40mp asap. The snapdragon chipset didn't support 40mp natively and they had to completely rewrite the imaging stack to get it to work.

yeah, if they had waited and put the 930 chipset on it, it would be a much different story. That said, it is still the undisputed king of phone cameras. You can fix white balance in postprocessing, but you cannot add the insane detail of a 1020 picture to an iPhone or even 930 shot.

JaggedSac

He's not jumping ship. Last I heard on the podcast he is just preemptively quitting so he can have more control over his content and to put his stuff under his own personal brand.

Thurrott.com will cover Microsoft but from what I read supersite will cover more of everything now.

If you need certain X or Y apps, there is no way but to jump ship. Can't blame him.

but he didn't?

You sure about that?

Well, it seemed like it when he wrote the article about using an iPhone 6 instead of WP. Whoops.

JaggedSac

If you're referring to yesterday's article on the SuperSite, that was written by someone else.

Holy shit. Mind blown. I did find it odd that he had just purchased that 930 and then would grab an iPhone. My bad guys. I didn't think other people posted on supersite.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Paul is leaving the site, which he founded and was the only writer for. So now the company that owns the site has hired and is hiring other people to write for it.

Top Bottom