• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kazinova

Newcastle FC, club fans thinks it's big, but hasn't really shown any signs of greatness since the 90s when they threw the title away because the manager got his head fucked with by the chasing teams manager.

That doesn't sound like a good fit. I need a club whose fans know the club is terrible yet get perennially get excited only to be predictably let down. Essentially, what club is "cursed".

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Borrowing an iPhone 6+ from work for a couple of weeks and it is already annoying me.

Can't have separate icons for different email accounts, and constantly navigating back and forth between accounts is a pain.

Oh man I would always do this on my iPhone. Had it for 3+ years, yet every time I wanted to switch email accounts I would hit the home button.

You people and your soccer ball. None of you know suffering until you experience what it is to be a Scuderia Ferrari fan.

Thanks! I love WP but settings menu is terrible.

They're going to fix it in Windows 10.

LDsozka.jpg

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Don't worry about the typo. First of all, it's just some guy. And then you should've noticed that it's not even Windows 10.

Windows Phone 8.15 for lower-end Lumias confirmed!

frontieruk

Don't worry about the typo. First of all, it's just some guy. And then you should've noticed that it's not even Windows 10.

Windows Phone 8.15 for lower-end Lumias confirmed!

Wasn't the desktop build just an increase in the windows 8 releases? The internal numbering never reflects the release build numbering... Last flowers should get that sorted... ;)

What the shit does Skype do to use so much data? Somehow it's managed to use 60MB over the past 30 days even though the last time I used it was on the 1st of January.

MrDaravon

We just got Lumia 635's, and I'm totally new to Window Phones/Windows 8. I think I've got it mostly figured out and got most of my stuff on there (upgraded from an ancient smartphone, so this was a huge step up even though it's pretty entry level now), I'm wondering what's a good option for playing music files? I'm going to get a micro SD card and dump everything that's currently on my ipod on there to see if this will work as a substitute for that; is the built in Xbox Music thing alright for just pretty basic playback and playlists? I need to actually buy the card so I don't have anything loaded yet, the interface doesn't seem super fantastic >_>

I've been taking public transport a lot recently and am now noticing that the lowest volume setting on my 521 with in-ear headphones is much louder than I would prefer to subject my ears to. Are there any music apps with an equalizer I can use to bring the volume lower? Unsure if there's something lurking in the settings menu I could use, but I couldn't find it.

NeOak

We just got Lumia 635's, and I'm totally new to Window Phones/Windows 8. I think I've got it mostly figured out and got most of my stuff on there (upgraded from an ancient smartphone, so this was a huge step up even though it's pretty entry level now), I'm wondering what's a good option for playing music files? I'm going to get a micro SD card and dump everything that's currently on my ipod on there to see if this will work as a substitute for that; is the built in Xbox Music thing alright for just pretty basic playback and playlists? I need to actually buy the card so I don't have anything loaded yet, the interface doesn't seem super fantastic >_>

Prepare to have some quirks.

I've been taking public transport a lot recently and am now noticing that the lowest volume setting on my 521 with in-ear headphones is much louder than I would prefer to subject my ears to. Are there any music apps with an equalizer I can use to bring the volume lower? Unsure if there's something lurking in the settings menu I could use, but I couldn't find it.

Settings -> Audio

There is an equalizer there. Try that first.

KageMaru

New screenshots of W10P leaked. I see semi-transparent tiles, but I hope we still have the full transparent tiles option in 8.1.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-...-Start-Screen-and-Other-Features-472386.shtml

Xbox music was trash in the beginning, but it's pretty good now. I use it and don't have any issues with it, you should be fine.

Finally got around to getting my upgrade, went from a red 820 with 600m/500MB on Vodafone to a green 930 with the same contract but for 50p a month less at £24.50 a month for two years.

Hopefully when this contract runs out I'll just go sim only, phone seems pretty good and the backplate also glows like crazy under UV lights which is unexpected. Its a conversation starter for sure...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ASUS Prepares First Ever Smartwatch with Windows

It appears that ASUS is preparing a new smartwatch bearing that name. And it will definitely be an unusual smartwatch, despite the medium specs. Not so much due to the hardware but because of what software it will operate under.

Currently, most smartwatches use the Android Wear operating system from Google, with some using Tizen OS instead.

ASUS, however, wants to be the first to launch a smartwatch running a version of Microsoft's Windows operating system.
The ASUS Vivo Watch with Windows
The company hasn't actually launched it, or even provided any pre-release information. However, a patent has been submitted to USPT (US Patent and Trademark Office).

The Vivo Watch will possess GPS, fitness functions (including a heart rate monitor), Bluetooth wireless technology, and some other sensors that will be listed upon launch.

USPTO defines the watch as a portable electronic device to be used to exchange data with an electronic personal organizer or a mobile device, among other things.

As you might expect, ASUS Vivo Watch will also have what it takes to display SMS messages, e-mails, alarms and calendar alerts.

Finally, the ASUS Vivo Watch is supposed to have the ability to monitor your sleep cycle, perhaps even wake you when you're sleeping lightly, ensuring that you aren't groggy upon awakening.

Smartwatches are still kinda garbage, but at least people with a Windows Phone device could enjoy something better integrated.

Sounds like it's based on the Microsoft Health platform they've launched with the Band last year. Interesting to see at least one OEM picking it up. One that doesn't even build Windows Phones nonetheless.

Top Bottom