• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sounds like it's based on the Microsoft Health platform they've launched with the Band last year. Interesting to see at least one OEM picking it up. One that doesn't even build Windows Phones nonetheless.

Yarp.

I actually don't have any interest in smartphones, but I would absolutely appreciate a competent, low energy fitness band for my training sessions. I've been mixing Body Pump with lift weighting lately and I could use a calorie counter.

JaggedSac

I imagine it will be agnostic towards the OSs it can communicate with. But I guess that is what happens when they make Win10 free for them to use and there is a platform that already has capabilities to communicate with any OS. I'm sure they are targeting it for iOS and Android users.

Doffen

I wish Lumia could release a Smart Watch.
Microsoft Band is old news and it doesn't look like it's heading to Europe.

I'm interested in the Band. Hope they make a version 2.

The first one feels like a beta test (much like any 1st gen product). God knows why they didn't use a curved display, like the Samsung Gear Fit. It's a much better looking device than the MS Band.

F6pJc8S.jpg

Magni

My 820's microUSB port broke in August, and the phone died on August 24th. I bought a Qi cover for it over the holidays, and my DT-903 arrived yesterday. It woke up this morning after almost 6 months in a coma, so I'm finally ready for WP108.15!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The first one feels like a beta test (much like any 1st gen product). God knows why they didn't use a curved display, like the Samsung Gear Fit. It's a much better looking device than the MS Band.

F6pJc8S.jpg

Probably because Samsung is the only manufacturer capable of producing consumer grade, small curved OLED displays in volume, and they probably want to keep them for themselves. LG Display is catching up, though, so maybe we'll get there in time for v2.0.

kazinova

Signs I'm still mentally 5-years-old: even though I know the W10 beta won't be available until next Tuesday at the earliest I still check my RSS and this thread every two hours to see if it hit.

Zeknurn

There's nothing stopping them from doing another Friday release and with Redmond just waking up you're right to be refreshing your rss feeds constantly.

Anyone here with an HTC 8X on Developer Preview? Got an update last night and it just says "HTC update for Windows Phone". Very helpful.

EDIT: In Canada. Seems like a firmware update.

EDIT2: Installed it and now I'm getting an update notification for .341, which I already have. Hmm.

clav

You have to consider the Lumia 520/521 userbase. They would be pissed if they didn't have a Windows Phone 10 upgrade path.

Doffen

Because what we really need are 15 iterations of a fitness tracker with minimal changes and terrible affordable pricing.

Lumia Watch 9XX is what we need. Exclusive to Verizon, with cyan edition only at AT&T.

They can't manage to supply the US yet why would they expand to the euro zone?

At this point they shouldn't even bother. The product is becoming old news and it's media coverage is fading, so another european Microsoft stealth release is unnecessary.

Sordid

Anyone here with an HTC 8X on Developer Preview? Got an update last night and it just says "HTC update for Windows Phone". Very helpful.

EDIT: In Canada. Seems like a firmware update.

EDIT2: Installed it and now I'm getting an update notification for .341, which I already have. Hmm.

My partners 8X is downloading an update just now in the UK, seems to be firmware too. I'll check the firmware version to see if it changes.

Edit: The firmware version changed from 3030.0.41201.401 to 3030.0.52001.401, seems it was an actual HTC update!

Is there a way to force the Denim update after it's been released? It's available for my 630 but it won't update even if I opt out of the dev preview :/

Personally I'm considering a Microsoft Band. I'll probably wait till the end of this year in case a new model comes out. I'd love to have one just so I can stop taking my phone out of my pocket to check for texts haha.

frontieruk

Personally I'm considering a Microsoft Band. I'll probably wait till the end of this year in case a new model comes out. I'd love to have one just so I can stop taking my phone out of my pocket to check for texts haha.

I keep looking at one as well, but I think the replacement will be here sooner than they get stock of the current model

nillapuddin

So Ive decided I need all wireless charging everything

Issue, I own a 1020

Possible Solution, some bootleg DIY job with a qi card and a case

Pros: So much sex appeal

Cons: Lots of wasted money

What do yall think?

Also, count me in for a SP4 and a Band 2

KageMaru

After reading that Anandtech DX12 article, it would be cool to see a similar article highlighting the improvements in the mobile space. I'm sure we'll never see it covered but I've always been curious about the overhead and APIs for WP. I imagine it's not very efficient when games tend to have missing effects seen on other platforms.

NeOak

After reading that Anandtech DX12 article, it would be cool to see a similar article highlighting the improvements in the mobile space. I'm sure we'll never see it covered but I've always been curious about the overhead and APIs for WP. I imagine it's not very efficient when games tend to have missing effects seen on other platforms.

Games are GPU bound on phones due to the TDP.

What you call "overhead" is the old ass GPUs we have in our phones vs Android phones. And the GPUs Apple uses are beasts, but they sacrifice CPU cores instead.

KageMaru

Games are GPU bound on phones due to the TDP.

What you call "overhead" is the old ass GPUs we have in our phones vs Android phones. And the GPUs Apple uses are beasts, but they sacrifice CPU cores instead.

Even when compared to Android phones with the same specs, games like NOVA3 and asphalt 8 have missing effects on WP. Considering how the APIs have been limiting for normal apps, it's not far fetched to think the same about games.

It would be cool to see where the WP10 APIs improve over what's currently available to developers.

Where are the dynamic flash options that came with the Denim update? Aren't we supposed to be able to it after a photo is taken?

Edit: Found it. Have to turn rich capture on.

Top Bottom