• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Watevaman

Just cracked the screen on the Icon. Have the Hyperion or whatever case with a bevel, too. Have dropped it onto asphalt three times before with no problems, but nope, now it's cracked.

So, anyone know if there's a way to replace the glass? I'd hate to have to go back to my Droid 4.

Nero3000

Only a subset of devices will get the insider builds initially....looks like they are rolling it out on a device by device case.

Lets face it non-nokia devices are probably SOL, and serves you right.

Considering they were running W10 on a 1520, that and other SD800 devices are probably in (
except Icon lol /jk
)

512 devices are pending...

n64coder

Just cracked the screen on the Icon. Have the Hyperion or whatever case with a bevel, too. Have dropped it onto asphalt three times before with no problems, but nope, now it's cracked.

So, anyone know if there's a way to replace the glass? I'd hate to have to go back to my Droid 4.

Looks like there are some 929/930 disassembly videos so it seems possible to do. I don't know about just the glass part but there are some sellers selling the glass/digitizer assembly on Ebay.

I just replaced the screen assembly on my daughter's Lumia 635 for $25. It was pretty easy to do so. I could have saved some money by replacing just the glass but it seems more involved because it requires a heat gun and then you need special tape to secure the new glass to the old assembly.

hadareud

The Translator
Only a subset of devices will get the insider builds initially....looks like they are rolling it out on a device by device case.

Lets face it non-nokia devices are probably SOL, and serves you right.

Considering they were running W10 on a 1520, that and other SD800 devices are probably in (
except Icon lol /jk
)

512 devices are pending...

Doubt that they'll limit it too much.

hadareud

The Translator
Simply Electronics, the place is called.

Had a look at the reviews, not too dodgy from what I can see. It's 269.-, but then I found an amazing 4 quid promo code online.

Mario007

Is there an easy way to change the language of Windows on a Surface Pro 3? I want to buy one here in China but I have two choices: Enterprise version (with many languages) or Chinese version (with Chinese language). Seeing that Enterprise will not get Windows 10 upgrade for free I want the Chinese version but I'm afraid i won't be able to change to language of the OS to English.

Nero3000

Is there an easy way to change the language of Windows on a Surface Pro 3? I want to buy one here in China but I have two choices: Enterprise version (with many languages) or Chinese version (with Chinese language). Seeing that Enterprise will not get Windows 10 upgrade for free I want the Chinese version but I'm afraid i won't be able to change to language of the OS to English.

Can you not just change it normally in the region settings (and download a language pack)? Or is it a special locked down china version?

hadareud

The Translator
Because it implies that they'll gimp their most popular phones when he doesn't have the slightest of clues what "features may vary" means in this context and whether these variations are limited to the technical preview or will also be present in the final release.

I would say that that's sensationalist.

Nero3000

Because it implies that they'll gimp their most popular phones when he doesn't have the slightest of clues what "features may vary" means in this context and whether these variations are limited to the technical preview or will also be present in the final release.

I would say that that's sensationalist.

and likening the W10 upgrade on entry level phones to the "7.8" release...especially when both android and ios loses features when upgrading older phones to the latest OS.

hadareud

The Translator
and likening the W10 upgrade on entry level phones to the "7.8" release...especially when both android and ios loses features when upgrading older phones to the latest OS.

Yes, it's a strange article.

Good luck with getting updates on Android for phones that are older than 2 years at all, let alone getting all the features.

Some stuff will be hardware dependent, like Hey Cortana etc. What Joe's talking about in regards to features may vary and whether he's only talking about the technical preview (which would make sense in the context) is anyone's guess.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been toying around with a high end Huawei for a few weeks and I've never been more conflicted about my loyalty towards Windows Phone.

On one hand, it was really nicely made, had a semicompetent fingerprint reader that was heaps and bounds over Samsung's and had access to a ginormous amount of apps that just don't exist over Windows Phone. On the other, performance crapped out at random and the UI was a bit of a convoluted mess despite Huawei's best efforts to make it as simple as they could.

Save me, Joe.

Pls.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought one.

SIM free for 265 quid (new).

I am mental.

why, thats a great price for a great phone. Also means you can go for a cheap SIM deal

At least there's someone else that's as bad as me.

Looks even easier.

http://www.smartphonefrance.info/Technique/NokiaLumia930/disassembly/disassembly.html

hmm. I have a white one but it is already a little scratched - might swap it out for an orange

edit: wait a minute - if I don't have the official SS-311 back cover release tool, can I use one of these instead?

QoUDp6Ol.jpg

seriously - you just pull the back off with a big sucker??

Doffen

I've been toying around with a high end Huawei for a few weeks and I've never been more conflicted about my loyalty towards Windows Phone.

On one hand, it was really nicely made, had a semicompetent fingerprint reader that was heaps and bounds over Samsung's and had access to a ginormous amount of apps that just don't exist over Windows Phone. On the other, performance crapped out at random and the UI was a bit of a convoluted mess despite Huawei's best efforts to make it as simple as they could.

Save me, Joe.

Pls.

Was it the Honor 6?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Save me, Joe.

Pls.

I could probably get a vanilla android device to be fairly usable using various homescreens/tasker/apps. Wouldn't quite be as nice to use as windows phone but close enough. but it can be a pain to get there.

Not sure I could live with a completely vanilla android phone.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
edit: wait a minute - if I don't have the official SS-311 back cover release tool, can I use one of these instead?

QoUDp6Ol.jpg

seriously - you just pull the back off with a big sucker??

I'd like to know this too. Looks like it would be great for just swapping out batteries too when they inevitably start to lose capacity.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So question for everyone:

Is WP8.1 noticeably slower/quicker than WP8.0?

I havent used WP8.1 on first WP8 devices (L920, L1020 etc.) so cant tell. But I have heard its sluggish at times. But I have L1520, and it runs and performance is great. But remember it has better CPU and 2GB RAM.

I always wondered, if you fill up your onedrive, and this expires. What to do then? All the stuff is gone? :S limited time storage is such a scam lol

That's nice, but I bet it doesn't work if the preview fucks your device.

There are ways to fuck up your device, but I think most of those paths were addressed during the 8->8.1 update. All of my old retail devices were bricked for a week at one point, and even then they were all fixable using a flashing tool.

Top Bottom