• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

KageMaru

Absolutely loving the camera improvements in denim.

Edit:

I thought double tap to wake was added with denim but I can't find it in the settings. =/

When I go under about it says Lumia 929. It has the 3 rows on the home screen and no glance. I didnt buy it, my wife got it for me when I killed my 920.

Sounds like you have the Icon, which was the 929 before the name change. Model number still shows as 929 in extras+info.

Absolutely loving the camera improvements in denim.

Edit:

I thought double tap to wake was added with denim but I can't find it in the settings. =/

Sounds like you have the Icon, which was the 929 before the name change. Model number still shows as 929 in extras+info.
Settings > Touch

It should be in there I believe.

KageMaru

There won't be any.

I can understand how the hardware can't handle 4K video but I don't see why it couldn't take advantage of some of the improvements like the new algorithms.

José Mourinho;151668467 said:
Settings > Touch

It should be in there I believe.

Looked there and all I see are the sensitivity and vibrate when using navigation keys options.

It can handle the new algorithms but an older phone isn't worth the time and investment.

1020 for example, it's xenon flash mush be a nightmare to program proper white balance settings.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Loving how fast the camera is now. The "living images" thing is really neat. Its cool, I was testing out the camera on my 5 month old and it gets a little video of his reaction when I talk to him and then takes the photo.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
My update just kicked in on Bell Canada. I'm actually liking how snappy things are now, surprise surprise. USB transfer is working again too, which is a big plus - I was ready to trade this in for an iPhone.

Looks like I'll be sticking with MS a while longer.

Watevaman

Downloading the update on my Icon now, but what a terrible time to have the screen all cracked. Gonna be on the lookout for replacements.

Ape

Banned
Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 6m minutes ago

Time to start refreshing that Windows Insider app for Windows Phone

Ape

Banned
I guess that was based on this other tweet, don't know if tom was being cheeky.

Tom Warren ‏@tomwarren 40m40 minutes ago

16-3-1 = 12th Feb (today) for Windows 10 phones? :) MT @GabeAul How about a puzzle? This is a REAL answer if you can solve it: 1316

My update just kicked in on Bell Canada. I'm actually liking how snappy things are now, surprise surprise. USB transfer is working again too, which is a big plus - I was ready to trade this in for an iPhone.

Looks like I'll be sticking with MS a while longer.

now you just need to wait for my sweet, awesome feature to hit.

Okay, this is as good of a place to ask as any.

I have an Icon. Great phone and all. But the past month or two (quite frankly I can't remember how long now) after a certain while of inactivity (say, I come home and put my phone down while I do other things for a few hours) I go back to my phone, but it acts very weirdly. First off, the internet connection seems to be down. I open IE and instead of going to the previously opened webpage, the screen will be blank. Open favorites and hit a link, and still nothing. The search, or Cortana, won't open. It says loading, then goes back to the start screen. Any program that requires the internet to function (like the email client) doesn't work right. if it even starts at all. Nothing works to bring back the internet, so I have to shut down and restart every time. This has been happening at least once a day for a while now.

I was hoping that this was a weird bug due to me running WP8.1 update 1 before Verizon released the update yesterday, and that once I got the update, this wouldn't happen anymore. But I just checked my phone right now and it was even worse, as the camera wouldn't start and I couldn't even get back to the start screen. Again, a restart brought it back to normal, but this is getting ridiculous at this point.

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to bring the phone back, especially since Verizon seemingly discontinued the phone, so who knows how I would get a replacement. But if that's my only recourse, I guess I'll do that.

Nero3000

Okay, this is as good of a place to ask as any.

I have an Icon. Great phone and all. But the past month or two (quite frankly I can't remember how long now) after a certain while of inactivity (say, I come home and put my phone down while I do other things for a few hours) I go back to my phone, but it acts very weirdly. First off, the internet connection seems to be down. I open IE and instead of going to the previously opened webpage, the screen will be blank. Open favorites and hit a link, and still nothing. The search, or Cortana, won't open. It says loading, then goes back to the start screen. Any program that requires the internet to function (like the email client) doesn't work right. if it even starts at all. Nothing works to bring back the internet, so I have to shut down and restart every time. This has been happening at least once a day for a while now.

I was hoping that this was a weird bug due to me running WP8.1 update 1 before Verizon released the update yesterday, and that once I got the update, this wouldn't happen anymore. But I just checked my phone right now and it was even worse, as the camera wouldn't start and I couldn't even get back to the start screen. Again, a restart brought it back to normal, but this is getting ridiculous at this point.

Any suggestions? I don't want to have to bring the phone back, especially since Verizon seemingly discontinued the phone, so who knows how I would get a replacement. But if that's my only recourse, I guess I'll do that.

I don't have those issues on the 930, but I would suggest a hard reset and if there are still problems then a reflash.

n64coder

Are there any gmail users who switched to outlook.com? Are you still happy after the switch?

The advantage would be getting push email notification and better windows phone integration, right? Did you setup your gmail to forward your emails to your outlook address and does it work well?

I was reviewing my Google Account two step authentication settings and decided to see if I could use the authenticator as the primary means of authenticating. In the list, I see Android, Iphone, and Blackberry. Big surprise, no WP. I chose Blackberry and entered the secret code. Seems to still work just fine. Is this a known secret?

Are there any gmail users who switched to outlook.com? Are you still happy after the switch?

The advantage would be getting push email notification and better windows phone integration, right? Did you setup your gmail to forward your emails to your outlook address and does it work well?

I was reviewing my Google Account two step authentication settings and decided to see if I could use the authenticator as the primary means of authenticating. In the list, I see Android, Iphone, and Blackberry. Big surprise, no WP. I chose Blackberry and entered the secret code. Seems to still work just fine. Is this a known secret?
I dont even know why Google has decided to setup their Two-Factor system like that. Its not even OS based in the slightest at all. AFAIK Google is the only one which forces you to select an OS when setting up your Two Factor and all the other ones either dont ask you or ask you only to reccomend an Authenticator App.

The only reason Google asks for OS has something to do with whether their Authenticator is available on the platform or has an authenticator they endorse (and big surprise, its not Microsofts). Essentially, all that matters is the Secret Key, or the QR Code (which contains the Secret Key), Thats the way the Encryption standard is setup. So just select the platform which gives you a QR Code for ease of adding.

hadareud

The Translator
The Microsoft authenticator app works for Gmail/Google accounts. Just select Android and use that.

Also works for Lastpass and all the other things that user the google authenticator.

edit: to confirm

Zg2whS6.png

Been doing this for two-two and a half years now. I rarely used the categories system in gmail, so I've seen no functionality changes from gmail. You can create an outlook account, forward all your gmail to it for a month and see if that's fine with you

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah I've been doing that for last couple of years and it works very well.

Of course, as time went on I've switched pretty much everything to my Outlook account, but the forwarding works well (I also have a few old Yahoo accounts forwarding to Outlook).

Just to be clear, you put the speaker & receiver in pairing mode before you scan with the phone?

Personally, I haven't encountered any BT pairing issues with my phone but haven't tested a lot of devices, definitely not the Vic Tseng speaker or Avantree Saturn receiver.

Maybe you can find someone else with a WP that can test those devices for you?

Yes, the speaker announces when it is pairing and the reciever flashed blue/red when pairing, neither were found by my phone even when no other devices were around to "grab" them before my Lumia could. My Lumia works with other BT devices like my headset but not these two.

So if you see any confirmations of working Waterproof Speakers or Recievers let me know :)

n64coder

Thanks for the advice/info.

Been doing this for two-two and a half years now. I rarely used the categories system in gmail, so I've seen no functionality changes from gmail. You can create an outlook account, forward all your gmail to it for a month and see if that's fine with you

I already have an Outlook account. Just been using it for WP/Windows related emails and as my Windows login account. I still have been using my google/gmail account as my primary because I've been using it since it started. Plus, my wife/I share calendar info.

I'm interested in the switch mainly to get the benefit of Exchange Active Sync that would happen with the outlook account. EAS is enabled and works for WP, right?

Yeah I've been doing that for last couple of years and it works very well.

Of course, as time went on I've switched pretty much everything to my Outlook account, but the forwarding works well (I also have a few old Yahoo accounts forwarding to Outlook).

I will probably do that. I do have a forwarding email account setup to forward emails to both my wife/I for stuff like banks and other places where we have joint accounts so I'm no stranger to using a forwarder.

Top Bottom