• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Damn, denim on the at&t 1520? SD card support and lte, plus the same camera? Oh man, oh man, maybe time to bail on the 930.

Milchjon

It's not that bad. At least you can enjoy a better designed OS, if you're still on Mango.

643.gif

maeh2k

What's the easiest and/or best way to make an 'app' out of a responsive website?

a) Microsoft's App Studio has a web app template
b) Web App Template for Visual Studio

Both seem to have the same goal. I'm guessing App Studio is easier and faster. Is the Visual Studio one better?

The client I'm working for has a responsive website and let's just say Windows/Windows Phone isn't exactly on their radar. They barely even give a shit about Android, which is why our next Android release will just be a web view with the responsive website and not a native app.

A Windows/Windows Phone web app might be a good idea (except for some reason the drop-down menus don't seem to work in the Windows Phone browser).

Fjolle

What's the easiest and/or best way to make an 'app' out of a responsive website?

a) Microsoft's App Studio has a web app template
b) Web App Template for Visual Studio

Both seem to have the same goal. I'm guessing App Studio is easier and faster. Is the Visual Studio one better?

The client I'm working for has a responsive website and let's just say Windows/Windows Phone isn't exactly on their radar. They barely even give a shit about Android, which is why our next Android release will just be a web view with the responsive website and not a native app.

A Windows/Windows Phone web app might be a good idea (except for some reason the drop-down menus don't seem to work in the Windows Phone browser).

I thought that Microsoft was promoting Cordova for this sort of app with the newest Visual Studio. It seems to be more widespread than the two you mentioned.

Tomcat

José Mourinho;153824486 said:
Recently I've been noticing certain app tiles being dulled down and when you tap them they don't open. Anybody know why this is?
It's the back up. They will be ready in a while

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Looks like my 920 just randomly decided not to restart anymore after the battery ran out. I don't think I have the budget to replace it. FML.

I think I ran into this problem a long time ago. Search the internetz. I remember I had to press a combination of keys and the phone did back up after a few seconds.

Milchjon

Do you want 630? PM me. I am not using it and we are Arkham buddy.

That's awesome but

a) I got it to work again
b) I'm in Germany, so shipping and maybe even compatibility would be a problem
c) you might be mistaking me for someone else, as I don't own a single Arkham game.

Seriously, you guys are the best.

That's awesome but

a) I got it to work again
b) I'm in Germany, so shipping and maybe even compatibility would be a problem
c) you might be mistaking me for someone else, as I don't own a single Arkham game.

Seriously, you guys are the best.
Wait you are in Germany but you have Patriots avatar. Yeah, I got you and SCHUEYF1 mixed up. I think you are in the US because of your Avatar so yes the 630 would be useless since it is lock to AT&T. You are still my Windows Phone and instagram buddy. I think that how I got you two confuse since both of you are on my instagram.

I'm in Canada and I have a factory unlocked AT&T 1520. The update still has not been pushed to my phone. Is there anything I can do to force it? Or is patience all that is required?

Philia

Hello! My husband and I bought the Lumia 635s on sale and I absolutely love it! Its my first smartphone ever and I appreciate the 4G and LTE to go online to browse while I'm at work. (Retail, not a desk job)

Meanwhile I'm looking around for great free games to play. I don't know if this is the appropriate thread or not, I think the official gaming thread is somewhat dead? Feel free to correct me, link me to the right thread.

But I though to share my favorite game titles that I've found while browsing.

Remember XNA's Miner Dig Deep? Super Digger got that covered! Super Digger is great, and I've not seen its pay wall yet. :)

Mine Quest seems to scratch that itch for mining too. (If its not obvious, I'm a huge minecraft fan and still prefer to PC version.)

Where's My Water 2 is great too! Neat water physics puzzles.

I also liked Wordament from time to time.

There's a few more but I think I need to play them some more before I can recommend them.

Anyone can recommend me a very good fishing game? I've mastered Fishing Resort for the Wii and loved Endless Oceans and is wanting for something similar.

I'm totally okay with pixel and 2D graphics.

dLMN8R

Hello! My husband and I bought the Lumia 635s on sale and I absolutely love it! Its my first smartphone ever and I appreciate the 4G and LTE to go online to browse while I'm at work. (Retail, not a desk job)

Meanwhile I'm looking around for great free games to play. I don't know if this is the appropriate thread or not, I think the official gaming thread is somewhat dead? Feel free to correct me, link me to the right thread.

But I though to share my favorite game titles that I've found while browsing.

Remember XNA's Miner Dig Deep? Super Digger got that covered! Super Digger is great, and I've not seen its pay wall yet. :)

Mine Quest seems to scratch that itch for mining too. (If its not obvious, I'm a huge minecraft fan and still prefer to PC version.)

Where's My Water 2 is great too! Neat water physics puzzles.

I also liked Wordament from time to time.

There's a few more but I think I need to play them some more before I can recommend them.

Anyone can recommend me a very good fishing game? I've mastered Fishing Resort for the Wii and loved Endless Oceans and is wanting for something similar.

I'm totally okay with pixel and 2D graphics.

You'd probably also love Snap Attack, which is the (free) follow-up by the creators of Wordament. Same worldwide tournament idea but with a different style of gameplay.

I Dig It is a fantastic digging game. It's $3, but it does have a free trial so you can check it out first.

There's a bunch of "Where's My <x>" games that are all pretty similar, but check them out if you run out of puzzles in WmW 2.

Don't forget that the truly official Minecraft Pocket Edition is out for phone too. Again it costs money, but it's the real deal.

Do you like endless runners? There's a lot of decent free ones, especially both Temple Run games and Subway Surfers is ok too.

Windows Central in general will be a good resource for you to find great apps and games, both free and paid. And don't forget that most paid apps/games have free trials you can check out - oftentimes developers are pretty generous with what they offer. No idea on fishing games though.

maeh2k

I thought that Microsoft was promoting Cordova for this sort of app with the newest Visual Studio. It seems to be more widespread than the two you mentioned.

Doesn't Cordova solve a different problem? I don't want to create a cross-platform app. The iOS and Android apps already exist.

Philia

Windows Central in general will be a good resource for you to find great apps and games, both free and paid. And don't forget that most paid apps/games have free trials you can check out - oftentimes developers are pretty generous with what they offer. No idea on fishing games though.

Thank you very much! :D I'll keep coming back to this thread to keep checking on recommendations.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
My dad wants to get a lower cost windows phone off contract to join to my moms ATT account. Which is the best to get, the 635?

hankster

JaggedSac

Nero3000

Can't blame them for not wanting to hitch their wagon to WP.

For little to no effort? all the work is supposedly done by MS - seems like a cheap way to expand userbase especially in geographies where WP has significant penetration.

Seems like a personal decision by the CEO based on the article.

My hope is that MS Band 2/3 becomes 1) more attractive & slimmer, and 2) released internationally.

EDIT: grrr why is the "Hey Cortana" setting outside of the Cortana settings?

Top Bottom