• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Hello! My husband and I bought the Lumia 635s on sale and I absolutely love it! Its my first smartphone ever and I appreciate the 4G and LTE to go online to browse while I'm at work. (Retail, not a desk job)

Meanwhile I'm looking around for great free games to play. I don't know if this is the appropriate thread or not, I think the official gaming thread is somewhat dead? Feel free to correct me, link me to the right thread.

But I though to share my favorite game titles that I've found while browsing.

Remember XNA's Miner Dig Deep? Super Digger got that covered! Super Digger is great, and I've not seen its pay wall yet. :)

Mine Quest seems to scratch that itch for mining too. (If its not obvious, I'm a huge minecraft fan and still prefer to PC version.)

Where's My Water 2 is great too! Neat water physics puzzles.

I also liked Wordament from time to time.

There's a few more but I think I need to play them some more before I can recommend them.

Anyone can recommend me a very good fishing game? I've mastered Fishing Resort for the Wii and loved Endless Oceans and is wanting for something similar.

I'm totally okay with pixel and 2D graphics.

Try Gunhouse! Completely free (no in app anything) puzzle game with some funky 2d artwork and an interesting mechanic.

JaggedSac

For little to no effort? all the work is supposedly done by MS - seems like a cheap way to expand userbase especially in geographies where WP has significant penetration.

Seems like a personal decision by the CEO based on the article.

My hope is that MS Band 2/3 becomes 1) more attractive & slimmer, and 2) released internationally.

EDIT: grrr why is the "Hey Cortana" setting outside of the Cortana settings?

Could be toxic to the brand due to association.

joshschw

Have had nothing but grief since the denim update on my 1520. Screen takes 5+ seconds to rotate, sometimes just seemingly rotating at random as well. something funky with my Bluetooth audio playback as well at time.

Even the Lumia Camera seems glitch like crazy!

Trying a hard reset right now.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Screen takes 5+ seconds to rotate, sometimes just seemingly rotating at random as well. something funky with my Bluetooth audio playback as well at time.

Those seem to be problems with denim, not your phone. I'm having the exact same issues. Just had to reboot my phone on my drive home because Bluetooth audio hung up my podcast and Xbox music apps. Lumia camera has been glitchy in terms of erasing pictures from the camera app, but otherwise has been pretty solid.

joshschw

Those seem to be problems with denim, not your phone. I'm having the exact same issues. Just had to reboot my phone on my drive home because Bluetooth audio hung up my podcast and Xbox music apps. Lumia camera has been glitchy in terms of erasing pictures from the camera app, but otherwise has been pretty solid.

This needs to be fixed, it's been like half a year since Denim was announced/initial release.

Hard reset helped somewhat so far, but rotation is still much slower than before, probably closer to 2 seconds after the hard reset instead on 5+ after initial Denim 'upgrade.'

Don't get me wrong I still really like this platform it just feels like for every new feature there's two steps back in terms of fluidity and polish. (last update was I can't have a Cortana tile without major stutter)

Magni

March here and still don't have true Denim on my 830, feels bad :(

I'm going to Japan for a month, the first of many trips there this year, and somehow five years later, WP still doesn't have any real maps of the country.

I'm aware of the legal issues there and in SK, but MS needs to at least match Apple's efforts if not Google's.

I'm moving to Japan next year normally, I'll probably switch to iPhone while I'm living there :(

hwalker84

I'm going to Japan for a month, the first of many trips there this year, and somehow five years later, WP still doesn't have any real maps of the country.

I'm aware of the legal issues there and in SK, but MS needs to at least match Apple's efforts if not Google's.

I'm moving to Japan next year normally, I'll probably switch to iPhone while I'm living there :(

Yeah the maps situation was brutal when I went in 2013.

MCD

There are couple of windows phones announcement for Japan this MWC. Here is to hoping the map situation improves.

flonty

Hey guys
I have a problem with my Lumia 830.
When I open the calender app it does not show the birthdays of my contacts anymore. I checked the contacts themselves and in fact the birthdays are missing from the profiles even though I put them in. Now I added the birthday of my gf into her contact profile and it still won't show the birthday in the calender. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Hey guys
I have a problem with my Lumia 830.
When I open the calender app it does not show the birthdays of my contacts anymore. I checked the contacts themselves and in fact the birthdays are missing from the profiles even though I put them in. Now I added the birthday of my gf into her contact profile and it still won't show the birthday in the calender. Anyone know how I can fix this?

The only birthdays I've ever seen in the default Birthday calendar are birthdays I've added manually in the office online calendar, and, I believe, birthdays of people who have added their own DoB to their MS account. Birthdays added via the 'People' app have never appeared for me.

I take all of this back. Forcing a refresh in the Outlook calendar makes them appear. :-S

You know what's amazing?

When Windows Phone 7 was released in 2010, all phones had a resolution of 800x480 and 512 MB RAM. This fucking platform can seem to move past it, even 5 years later.

Milchjon

So it's like a cheaper Lumia 920, only 3 years later!

sorry

It actually does, and NPU's projected price is about what I paid for my new 920 18 months ago. I assume it'll look worse and won't come with Qi out of the box either.

FipZjw5.png

Praise the Lord

Milchjon

Is Android as bad with "ducking" as iOS? Cause it feels like you can always spot an iOS user by their use of "ducking"

Funnily enough I'm at a point where my phone will try to correct ducking to fucking.

José Mourinho;154136054 said:
I know Microsoft is all about the low end, but seriously, how many devices do they really need?

How many 6xx variants are there now?

Not that many, actually.

630 Dual-Sim
640 (new)
640 XL (new)

And here's the complete Windows Phone 8.1 line up (not counting the previous 2012 and 2013 phones that shipped with 8.0).

Lumia 435
Lumia 435 Dual SIM
Lumia 530
Lumia 530 Dual SIM
Lumia 532
Lumia 532 Dual SIM
Lumia 535
Lumia 535 Dual SIM
Lumia 630
Lumia 630 Dual SIM
Lumia 635
Lumia 638 (thanks, kharma!)
Lumia 730 (720p)
Lumia 730 Dual SIM (720p)
Lumia 735 (720p)
Lumia 830 (720p)
Lumia 930 (the only 1080p phone in that line up)

See, it's not that complicated.

GuessWho

Is Android as bad with "ducking" as iOS? Cause it feels like you can always spot an iOS user by their use of "ducking"

Funnily enough I'm at a point where my phone will try to correct ducking to fucking.

yes on Android it's ducking annoying as well.

kharma45

Not that many, actually.

630 Dual-Sim
640 (new)
640 XL (new)

And here's the complete Windows Phone 8.1 line up (not counting the previous 2012 and 2013 phones that shipped with 8.0).

Lumia 435
Lumia 435 Dual SIM
Lumia 530
Lumia 530 Dual SIM
Lumia 532
Lumia 532 Dual SIM
Lumia 535
Lumia 535 Dual SIM
Lumia 630
Lumia 630 Dual SIM
Lumia 635
Lumia 730 (720p)
Lumia 735 (720p)
Lumia 830 (720p)

You have missed out the Lumia 638

giga

Not that many, actually.

630 Dual-Sim
640 (new)
640 XL (new)

Lumia 435
Lumia 435 Dual SIM
Lumia 530
Lumia 530 Dual SIM
Lumia 532
Lumia 532 Dual SIM
Lumia 535
Lumia 535 Dual SIM
Lumia 630
Lumia 630 Dual SIM
Lumia 635
Lumia 730 (720p)
Lumia 735 (720p)
Lumia 830 (720p)

Such a simple, easy to remember lineup. Steve Jobs would have been impressed.

Not that many, actually.

630 Dual-Sim
640 (new)
640 XL (new)

Lumia 435
Lumia 435 Dual SIM
Lumia 530
Lumia 530 Dual SIM
Lumia 532
Lumia 532 Dual SIM
Lumia 535
Lumia 535 Dual SIM
Lumia 630
Lumia 630 Dual SIM
Lumia 635
Lumia 730 (720p)
Lumia 735 (720p)
Lumia 830 (720p)

Oh my... Obviously I'm a nobody and have no idea what I'm talking about, but I feel like 3 phones would be enough. Low, mid, high. Sorted.

Milchjon

The HTC M9 is nice and all, but it really feels like we've reached the end of substantial yearly advancements in smartphones. All these manufacturers seem to be branching out to all kinds of other form factors and gadgets to deal with that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The HTC M9 is nice and all, but it really feels like we've reached the end of substantial yearly advancements in smartphones. All these manufacturers seem to be branching out to all kinds of other form factors and gadgets to deal with that.
At least Samsung is trying with new sensors. But yeah, everything since the first Snapdragon 800 devices has been rather cumulative.

hadareud

The Translator
Is there any reason to go for the M9 over the M8 apart from a better camera (which the M8 should have had already)?

Top Bottom