• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The question is if the Snapdragon 810 really behaves that terribly, like it's rumored to be. The PocketNow review of the LG GFlex 2 wasn't encouraging.

hadareud

The Translator
Did the M8 really need many improvements?

Probably not.

But I think it's fair to point out that the annual refresh cycle is becoming redundant. I mean, in which way is the M9 a generation ahead of the 15 month old 930? Slightly better battery life, slightly lighter, slightly thinner and that's it.

We can talk about the numbering of processors, but it means very little in the real world.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The only flaw was the camera and it looks like HTC still couldn't fix it, even though this is their third try. The wait for an Android phone with a top notch camera continues.

kharma45

Look at all dem models Brot. All4u

MNquUc9.png

Having so many models can get confusing. I just want Microsoft to release a high end flagship phone. I have the Icon, which I love, but when it comes time for me to upgrade I want to have a nice phone to upgrade to. I see myself sticking with Windows Phone since Windows 10 looks really promising.

hadareud

The Translator
The M9 and S6 couldn't be more boring.

Yep. Just watched the Samsung conference and was bored to death.

Some nice things, sure, but overall there's stagnation. Same goes for the iPhone, of course.

Should keep that in mind when MS are announcing their next flagship (lawl), and the inevitable whinging at the lack of innovation commences.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'd take an s6 with Windows Phone for sure. I'd wait until I read more reports about the m9's camera before I'd consider a windows phone version of that.

Did the rumor of MS software pre-loaded on the S6 come true?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
You are just waiting for the Activ & M9 Windows 10 phones, aren't you.

I guess if there isn't a Microsoft flagship, I would consider them, then go iPhone.

I'd take an s6 with Windows Phone for sure. I'd wait until I read more reports about the m9's camera before I'd consider a windows phone version of that.

Did the rumor of MS software pre-loaded on the S6 come true?

OneDrive, OneNote and Skype come pre-loaded.

Magni

In terms of models, ideally they'd just have 6 base models (or maybe 7 with a true Lumia 1020 successor), from which they could have dual-SIM/3G only variants etc for select markets.

Budget 4" <$100 (meaning it would be quickly at ~$50 price points)
Budget 5" <$150
Budget 6" <$300

Highend 4" <$350 (I know big screens are all the rage these days, but there is a still a pretty big niche for highend small phones. A lot of my iPhone friends didn't update to the 6 because it was "too big")
Highend 5" <$450
Highend 6" <$550

Nero3000

Not sure what you are all complaining about.

1) we have known for a long time that a flagship phone is most likely to be revealed in the fall with W10 - nothing has changed here

2) whoever put that long list up of models is technically right, but each variant of a major product tier is for different market

“The idea of having a screen full of icons, representing independent apps, that need to be opened to experience them, is making less and less sense,” Adams writes. “The idea that these apps sit in the background, pushing content into a central experience, is making more and more sense.”

so windows phone has had this approach since its debut but of course it's when a dumb app on ios comes out that suddenly 'apps don't matter'. guh.

i've seen the future of phones & it looks a lot like yo

clav

Look at all dem models Brot. All4u

MNquUc9.png

At least the model numbers are lower than 9000.

Damn can't wait for more trash.

Listen Microsoft... If you're done with hero devices I'm done with you. It seems my only hope is a Samsung or HTC WP10 version of the S6 or M9.

Edit: After reading the M9 hands on I'll switch that just the S6.

Seriously. Enough low-end devices.

People buy flagships regardless of price. If they have to wait a few years for the price to drop, they will still buy it.

joshschw

So this is an interesting page of the thread. We start off by complaining that the newly revealed Android flagships are the same phones with a newer chipset, and then we progress to complaining that Microsoft hasn't done the same thing.

Paganmoon

So this is an interesting page of the thread. We start off by complaining that the newly revealed Android flagships are the same phones with a newer chipset, and then we progress to complaining that Microsoft hasn't done the same thing.

I'd love for a 1020, exact same phone, but with a better chip. So.. yeah.

Not that hard, when two out of three phones are just a variant of a different phone from the same product line.

Man, we're so jaded, even jokes are hard to do :(

Let's talk about what potentially we may actually be able to get.

A good case for my 1520!

I have this one right now, the buttons become difficult to press and the case looks disgusting after 2 weeks.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GA23EFU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I want one that wraps around entirely. 1520 is too fragile.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

I've heard a wood finish for phones is all the rage these days (Moto X, OnePlus One).
But something that's big enough for the 1520 could be hard to find.

Maybe something like this?
http://i.imgur.com/oVXyNx3.jpg

NeOak

Let's talk about what potentially we may actually be able to get.

A good case for my 1520!

I have this one right now, the buttons become difficult to press and the case looks disgusting after 2 weeks.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GA23EFU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I want one that wraps around entirely. 1520 is too fragile.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

This is what I've used since i got mine and it has worked just fine. Plus, it has saved my phone some times.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GURKN72/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also LOL at the S6 not having a MicroSD slot.

frontieruk

So, anyone here use a Fitbit with a Windows Phone?

Is this chart really accurate?

https://www.fitbit.com/content/assets/onezip/images/devices/Fitbit_SupportedDevices_Windows.pdf

Lots of missing features, which isn't surprising I guess. But with a Charge would you still be able to track activities using the phone's GPS and such?

If you mean record the route you took within the fitbit app, no. Obviously you could use another app that can tie in to fitbit to record that data, but it wouldn't sync directly with the data the Charge gathered.

So, anyone here use a Fitbit with a Windows Phone?

Is this chart really accurate?

https://www.fitbit.com/content/assets/onezip/images/devices/Fitbit_SupportedDevices_Windows.pdf

Lots of missing features, which isn't surprising I guess. But with a Charge would you still be able to track activities using the phone's GPS and such?

I've been using one. That chart looks accurate.

I don't think you can track activities using your phone's GPS or step tracker, just sync the Fitbit device's activity, unless I'm missing something.

Probably not.

But I think it's fair to point out that the annual refresh cycle is becoming redundant. I mean, in which way is the M9 a generation ahead of the 15 month old 930? Slightly better battery life, slightly lighter, slightly thinner and that's it.

We can talk about the numbering of processors, but it means very little in the real world.

You are missing the point of why there is a new flagship each year. It's to generate excitement. Model refresh is akin to new car model so fickle public don't forget about your brand.

You make it seems as if rolling another crappy budget phone by Microsoft is any better. I fail to see why does this platform even need the 640 and 640XL version (lol, is the next model going to be 3D and new). A 5.8 phone with 720p...

Hey wait, so actual Windows 10 phones probably won't be out until the fall? And probably no new flagships until then? This 635 I just got is orange and awesome, but I'm not waiting 6 months before I get a real new phone.

No flagship phones? Ugh, can they try to slip into irrelevance any faster? They're supposed to be playing catchup. Now they'll be years behind everyone else. No wonder their lead camera tech guy left for Apple. He would have been sitting on his hands this whole time Microsoft keeps peddling random identical low-spec devices.

Top Bottom