• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

The black Microsoft logo on the back of the phones is pretty awful looking.

Use one of these to remove

sandpaper-roll.jpg

clav

At this rate, my unprofessional prediction says that Windows 10 flagship will run x86.

No other reason for the delay since Xbox One and PC/Surface are on x86.

Milchjon

13 MP for that price doesn't sound totally bad. Prices aren't total shit.

Love that they actually announced 6 versions total of the 640/XL. Can never have too many models.

I would take a matte cyan XL

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The new foldable keyboard thingy feels nice, very much like a tiny Type Cover.

Of course, it doesn't have a price nor a release date. SMH.

hadareud

The Translator
I think it's hilarious that for weeks (if not months) we've been moaning here about how they wouldn't be announcing a flagship phone at MWC and now that they haven't everyone is moaning that they haven't announced a flagship phone.

As much as I wanted there to be a 1030 it was entirely expected that they want to wait until Windows 10 with high end stuff. Even though I don't entirely agree with it.

Edit: When we look at the numbering of the new phones, do I detect an attempt to streamline and reduce things with the XL thing?

Paganmoon

I think it's hilarious that for weeks (if not months) we've been moaning here about how they wouldn't be announcing a flagship phone at MWC and now that they haven't everyone is moaning that they haven't announced a flagship phone.

As much as I wanted there to be a 1030 it was entirely expected that they want to wait until Windows 10 with high end stuff. Even though I don't entirely agree with it.

Edit: When we look at the numbering of the new phones, do I detect an attempt to streamline and reduce things with the XL thing?

645 and 645XL to be announced in two weeks. I think it's going to get worse with model numbers.

hadareud

The Translator
645 and 645XL to be announced in two weeks. I think it's going to get worse with model numbers.

heh

I wouldn't put it beyond them.

The question is whether the XL one is actually the 1340. If so, that would streamline things a bit, though it certainly doesn't mean that there wouldn't be a 645 etc.

hadareud

The Translator
The XL is definitely the 1340, aka the 1320 successor.

Yeah I thought so.

So basically, they've removed a whole series by calling it XL. Will be interesting to see whether they do the same with the 1520 successor and call it 940 XL.

Also looks like they don't give the LTE versions a different number, just add LTE in the end, so that's another thing removed (if that's the case).

So I guess it's fair to say that they've recognised that the whole thing is a bit of a mess and that they needed to do something about it.

Of course, whether what they're doing is as good as it could be remains open for discussion.

Fjolle

I knew it. the typical "wait for the big OS release" MS is back.

I think it's better that the "don't care if you're not finished, we'll release the OS with the new phone" Apple or "you'll get the new OS.. sometime" Android :p

hadareud

The Translator
To be fair, it would be ridiculous to release W10, which is probably the most vital release they've had in a very long time, without any flagship hardware.

The only thing that can be said is that this doesn't mean that that prevented them from releasing a niche flagship like the 1030 now.

The best we can hope for is that they won't make us wait for W10 and HW until the end of the year.

If the new flagship has a front facing camera and proximity sensor which aren't dust magnets they can have all of my money, otherwise I'm going to pack it all in and go back to my 3510i.

kharma45

GDR2 bringing the goods

lumia_640_settings_gdr2.jpg

The new Lumia 640 and 640 XL that were just announced at Mobile World Congress both come out of the box with Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2. On the face of it there's nothing much different, but the settings menu has been given a little visual refresh and organization.

Now, as you'll see up top, there's no longer just a long list of menu items, they're broken up into sections like network + wireless, personalisation and more. You no longer have the swipe to access application settings, too, everything is in the one list, broken up with different headers.

http://www.windowscentral.com/settings-gets-visual-refresh-windows-phone-81-update-2

hadareud

The Translator
My prediction:

Lumia 940
Lumia 940 XL

October release.

No 1040 until April 2016 (together with an 840). Plenty of low-end and mid-range phones in between.

PG2G

I'm just glad that Microsoft seems to be taking the hardware in a better direction than Nokia was. The fact that every phone they have announced has had 1GB of RAM and we're seeing things like 13MP cameras in the low/mid range is pretty nice.

I guess Nokia had to design differently when they were going broke.

My prediction:

Lumia 940
Lumia 940 XL

October release.

No 1040 until April 2016 (together with an 840). Plenty of low-end and mid-range phones in between.

And I agree with this for the most part, at least in reference to flagship(s).

hadareud

The Translator
Does sound realistic, doesn't it?

I should add that I've made many predictions about WP over the years and that not a single one of them has been correct so far.

The new foldable keyboard thingy feels nice, very much like a tiny Type Cover.

yeah, it looks pretty sweet. If I don't end up getting another surface I might pick one up.

eek at that supposed update to the settings page. Eek at the 'all apps', that looks like a change I would have tried during lifelogger creation--not a good thing.

hadareud

The Translator
W10 people hub:

LK23zcp.jpg

Looks nice to me.

Of course, it's all destroyed by the "all apps" thing. I mean, that renders everything unusable and ugly.

stktt

Banned
All apps makes sense to me. It's something you aren't going to see very often unless you're scrolling to the very bottom of the start screen, text isn't exactly uncommon in the OS, and I'm sure Microsoft has the data to justify the decision.

Magni

All apps makes sense to me. It's something you aren't going to see very often unless you're scrolling to the very bottom of the start screen, text isn't exactly uncommon in the OS, and I'm sure Microsoft has the data to justify the decision.

It's not a deal breaker, but it is ugly for sure. If only we could turn off "noob mode".

W10 people hub:

LK23zcp.jpg

Looks nice to me.

Of course, it's all destroyed by the "all apps" thing. I mean, that renders everything unusable and ugly.

That "All apps" thing is bullshit and it does mess with the aesthetics of the OS, like it or not. It's little details like that that can make or break good design. I'm not saying the OS looks like shit now, but it certainly doesn't fit into the well crafted design language that Metro once was.

I'd kill to get one of the actual design guidelines and the current design book. Someone hook me up, please!

joshschw

That "All apps" thing is bullshit and it does mess with the aesthetics of the OS, like it or not. It's little details like that that can make or break good design. I'm not saying the OS looks like shit now, but it certainly doesn't fit into the well crafted design language that Metro once was.

I'd kill to get one of the actual design guidelines and the current design book. Someone hook me up, please!

They shredded the wp7 design guidelines book by mistake, and lastflowers as an intern had to tape it back together.

This is all his fault.

-----

That new People App looks like just generic ios and android stuff now.

hadareud

The Translator

I don't see the problem with the all apps thing myself at all. You have to be a purist of the worst (or best if you prefer) kind to give a fuck.

I think it's fair to say that WP is not as clean as it used to be, mainly because new things and features got bolted on over time and made a bit of a mess of the initial simplicity.

Let's wait for what W10 brings design wise. It's a good opportunity for an updated direction and to bring everything back to a unified design again.

With hamburger menus.

NeOak

They shredded the wp7 design guidelines book by mistake, and lastflowers as an intern had to tape it back together.

This is all his fault.

-----

That new People App looks like just generic ios and android stuff now.

That is what happens when the Xbox Music intern team gets a book in english.

Top Bottom