• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

JaggedSac

Honestly man, part of the problem is that at this point the distinctive visual design is almost the only thing WP has left going for it. Apps are way behind, all of Microsoft's services are available on other platforms, no new hardware, but at least we have phones that look cool. Mess that up and there's really not much tying me to the platform.

Yep. The design and flow of the OS was the only thing unique about WP. It looks great and is a pleasure to use. Seems like we are quickly moving away from the flow aspect of it with homogenization towards the other OSs, and the design isn't getting any better. Without that, there really is no point in using this OS.

frontieruk

The discussion is not whether or not Metro can be modified. It's not that it can not be modified or shouldn't be modified. Design can be modified over time and different people are going to have a different interpretation of a design language. Metro got a huge overhaul with Windows 8 (for the better or worse) and that's okay. But that doesn't mean that this specific implementation is good. It's not a good solution to that problem.

Look at this and tell me honestly "yeah, this is good. this is how it should be done".

Fixed that for you
windows-phone-7nyuh1.jpg

Alright, I'll admit that I'm a bit nuts about this stuff. No more bitching about Arrow Gate (until someone else brings it up in a significant manner).

Fixed that for you

omg, look at all that WASTED SPACE!!! And that confusing arrow! What is it supposed to mean? Why is it pointing at my finger? What is wrong with my finger?!

CaptainABAB

Yep. The design and flow of the OS was the only thing unique about WP. It looks great and is a pleasure to use. Seems like we are quickly moving away from the flow aspect of it with homogenization towards the other OSs, and the design isn't getting any better. Without that, there really is no point in using this OS.

Sorry but I disagree that the design and flow was the only unique thing about WP.

For me, it is a combination of several factors:
1. I am invested in the Microsoft ecosystem more than Apple and Google.

2. The back button. Every time I use an iPhone, I miss the WP back button and do not understand how anyone can get by without it. (I do not have enough Android experience to compare how their back button works compared to WP)

3. Live Tiles - I love that my wide calendar tile shows the next upcoming meeting. Same applies to the people tile, weather and the daily Translator word/phrase of the day.

4. Performance - except for a few 3rd party apps, my 920 is still quick and responsive for my core usage. I have always enjoyed interacting with the WP OS.

5. Metro design

6. Nokia hardware - my 2+ year old 920 is still going strong and feels like a high-end phone (unlike my original Samsung Focus.)

Sorry but I disagree that the design and flow was the only unique thing about WP.

This was a huge point for me, but MS has made this almost a non-issue, I feel. All the apps that benefit from MS's ecosystem are now available on iOS/Android, right?

Fair enough on the other points.

JaggedSac

2. The back button. Every time I use an iPhone, I miss the WP back button and do not understand how anyone can get by without it. (I do not have enough Android experience to compare how their back button works compared to WP)

3. Live Tiles - I love that my wide calendar tile shows the next upcoming meeting. Same applies to the people tile, weather and the daily Translator word/phrase of the day.

4. Performance - except for a few 3rd party apps, my 920 is still quick and responsive for my core usage. I have always enjoyed interacting with the WP OS.

5. Metro design

6. Nokia hardware - my 2+ year old 920 is still going strong and feels like a high-end phone (unlike my original Samsung Focus.)

1. No need to have a WP for MS services. In fact, apps for those services are apparently more up to date on other platforms.

2. Android is somewhat similar except I think once on the home screen, it doesn't do anything. Which is why the back button on XBone confuses people lol.

3. Agree with you here. The home screen on WP is the last bastion.

4. Yep, it performs well. So do iPhones and high end Android devices though.

5. A lot of this is changing. Especially since apps are just using designs from their implementations for other OSs. MS apps are probably getting updated to remove a lot of the nice flow of Metro such as Pivots and all. Swiping is a much nicer way of navigation than button pressing in my opinion.

6. Hardware is nice, but you don't need WP for that. Plus, we have yet to see a solely MS developed handset yet. At least I would imagine all of these that have been released since the purchase were already in progress.

frontieruk

Alright, I'll admit that I'm a bit nuts about this stuff. No more bitching about Arrow Gate (until someone else brings it up in a significant manner).

omg, look at all that WASTED SPACE!!! And that confusing arrow! What is it supposed to mean? Why is it pointing at my finger? What is wrong with my finger?!

I'm sorry i fail at good design :(

kazinova

I'll throw my vote in for the "don't mind" group on this one.

I fail to see how a simple font with an arrow doesn't fit into the metro style guide. It's a clear font, it has simple iconography. Hell, it looks like a sign that would appear in a public transportation system.

Though, if it were just an arrow I wouldn't care either.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
1. No need to have a WP for MS services. In fact, apps for those services are apparently more up to date on other platforms.

2. Android is somewhat similar except I think once on the home screen, it doesn't do anything. Which is why the back button on XBone confuses people lol.

5. A lot of this is changing. Especially since apps are just using designs from their implementations for other OSs. MS apps are probably getting updated to remove a lot of the nice flow of Metro such as Pivots and all. Swiping is a much nicer way of navigation than button pressing in my opinion.

6. Hardware is nice, but you don't need WP for that. Plus, we have yet to see a solely MS developed handset yet. At least I would imagine all of these that have been released since the purchase were already in progress.

1. That's not true across the board. No Cortana is a biggie (for me). The Exchange app they bought for Android and iOS is good, but it has a long way to go, and it doesn't have the contacts/calendar integration of the built in WP solution....yet. OneDrive is decent, but automatic camera uploads isn't as integrated, so it's a little more clumsy (I like that there isn't anything in the notification bar on WP, it just happens seamlessly in the background). Office is excellent on iPad, but integration from OneDrive (where I keep my files) is still a bit clumsy, though it is rapidly improving. No Office on Android phones that competes with the WP implementation. Skype has some added features on other platforms, although integration in WP is supposed to lead to better features on WP eventually, like integrated messaging. OneNote is really good on all platforms, but handwriting on Android and iOS would make that version better for a lot of people (I don't use it, though). What I've seen of W10 mobile should put it above the other platforms for most of these services, but then again, updates to the other platforms could bring feature parity by the time it launches. I think once Cortana is launched on the other platforms, it'll be a huge deal, but the fact that its not integrated may still tip the WP version as superior.

2. iOS needs a back button

4. iPhones have suffered from the same performance degradation as WP phones have with each new version. Android performance is all over the place, and highly dependent on device, specific apps that you use, etc. even on high end. I started with a super fast, smooth, amazing battery life high end Android flagship, then 8 months later it was a different story. Battery life was shot to hell, lag, glitches, and frustrating day-to-day issues like the phone not immediately waking from sleep when I press the power button. I know this can happen on other platforms, but it's almost an Android trademark, like the classic Windows rot that requires you to refresh your device from time to time.

5. If we're honest, many third party apps never bothered with Metro, and those that did ended up not updating their WP apps much because of the extra effort it required to maintain a visual style for one app while their iOS/Android apps looked pretty much the same. It's a problem on Android and iOS too, so I think there is nothing to be done, and MS is simply starting to adopt what is increasingly becoming industry standard UI and navigation. Sucks, but that's reality. I love me them hubs and pivots, but it is what it is.

6. While other manufacturers are stepping up their design/materials game (HTC and Samsung for sure, along with Sony), none other than Apple has created beautifully crafted phones with phenomenal cameras the way Nokia did. That could change this year for Android, but who knows. At least for me, that's the winning combination. Even Apple has gotten away with low MP sensors because of fantastic software, but if they step up their sensor game this year (16 or 20 MP), then damn, it'll be lights out until the 1030 arrives.

CaptainABAB

Sad thing is - I actually agree with you on all of these points. Many of the advantages of WP are moot as Google and iOS catch up in terms of clean design, hardware and MS apps.

But I still love the new WP keyboard!

Milchjon

The store is still absolutely fascinating. In the Best Rated category, #3 is a Get Instagram Likes app where all the most helpful reviews tell you that it'll hack your account. A few spots behind that, there's an app called Iran Drugs. And then there are several who pretty much advertise (I assume) pirated anime series.

How.

giga

The store is still absolutely fascinating. In the Best Rated category, #3 is a Get Instagram Likes app where all the most helpful reviews tell you that it'll hack your account. A few spots behind that, there's an app called Iran Drugs. And then there are several who pretty much advertise (I assume) pirated anime series.

How.
You should know by now that WP is basically the ghetto of mobile platforms.

JaggedSac

So my People Hub has now started showing everything all of my friends "like" on Facebook. Any way to remove these items from the feed? They really shit things up even more than usual. Looked in the Facebook app and don't see anything.

Milchjon

You should know by now that WP is basically the ghetto of mobile platforms.

Yes, but... I have roughly 250 apps installed, and the majority of those aren't totally worthless. Yet you wouldn't know that there's more than maybe 30 worthwhile ones from looking at the store.

joshschw

I think you guys are way off base if you think iOS and Android compete with WP in the performance/degradation game. iOS platforms work well for a couple years at most, and then they're slow as molasses because of the new software revisions. Android suffers SEVERE performance issues even on the highest spec devices, and it only worsens over time unless you hard reset it every few months.

I am very pleased with my 1520 Denim update after hard resetting. I am a bit miffed it required it so badly after the upgrade however. Shouldn't be that way. Imagine formatting your PC after each Windows Update is installed.

There's a noticeable bump in performance on my 1520 after the Demin update. It's nice, but it's a shame that we have to wait so long for the firmware that accompanies each software update.

hwalker84

I think you guys are way off base if you think iOS and Android compete with WP in the performance/degradation game. iOS platforms work well for a couple years at most, and then they're slow as molasses because of the new software revisions. Android suffers SEVERE performance issues even on the highest spec devices, and it only worsens over time unless you hard reset it every few months.

I am very pleased with my 1520 Denim update after hard resetting. I am a bit miffed it required it so badly after the upgrade however. Shouldn't be that way. Imagine formatting your PC after each Windows Update is installed.

Yep I did the same thing. My 1520 feels much better.

dLMN8R

The flagship, most expensive iPod Touch that Apple sells front and center on their web site performs like utter shit with the version of iOS that ships on it.

"Yeah but it's slightly worse than iPhone 4S hardware??"

So fucking what??!!? It costs at least $200 and barely supports any of the new features that caused it to slow to shit in the first place!

\Apple gets such an undeserved pass on this it's ridiculous.

nillapuddin

Hardware design team needs to remember what made the 1020 and fam back in the day so amazing.

My 1020 is the sleekest, best looking phone readily available imo. Every other phone is turning into iPhone copy cats and look boring.

Difference between a 635 and an Ip4? Anything?

Maybe its just me, but imo everything since the 1020 generation has been a downgrade

Vyer

The flagship, most expensive iPod Touch that Apple sells front and center on their web site performs like utter shit with the version of iOS that ships on it.

So fucking what??!!? It costs at least $200 and barely supports any of the new features that caused it to slow to shit in the first place!

Apple gets such an undeserved pass on this it's ridiculous.

lol@calling an iPod touch a 'flagship' at this point

hardware matters, whether you want to accept that or not

Hardware design team needs to remember what made the 1020 and fam back in the day so amazing.

My 1020 is the sleekest, best looking phone readily available imo. Every other phone is turning into iPhone copy cats and look boring.

Maybe its just me, but imo everything since the 1020 generation has been a downgrade
I love my 1020 too but the phone didn't sell.

So yeah, everything is looking like an iPhone.

I personally prefer the 925 design the best. When I see someone with one on the street the phone just stands out like no other phone.

Ok guys, been using WP for the last 4 years now. What hope do we have? I love the damn thing but most apps creators don't seem to find it worth their time to develop for WP, which sucks. Do we have any damn hope with Win10 being universal?

Ape

Banned

Watch out, somewhere around here there's a poster that is in straight up denial about the current landscape of phone design. Apparently companies aren't being obviously influenced by the iPhone so take that back.

Doffen

vZuXLd9.png

They said something in the line of Windows 10 for PC will be their main focus, but adding game DVR and voice chat to mobile devices might come at a later time...

Just like Snapchat and a flagship device.

giga

\Apple gets such an undeserved pass on this it's ridiculous.
No one's giving them a pass on that because it's the god damn iPod. Everyone and their mother knows both Apple and consumers don't care for it anymore. It's so irrelevent that they don't even report it on their quarterly results. Comparisons to outliers like that are insincere.

vZuXLd9.png

They said something in the line of Windows 10 for PC will be their main focus, but adding game DVR and voice chat to mobile devices might come at a later time...

Just like Snapchat and a flagship device.

What bugs me the most is the lack of streaming to the mobile build. Not only does that exclude Windows Phone, but also sub 8" tablets that ship with the OS.

And seeing how Sony does it on the Xperia phones and tablets, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

KageMaru

So my 1020 is on 8.1 Developer Preview. Should I stay on it or should I wipe it clean and put regular 8.1 on it?

At this point I don't think it matters. Ignoring the firmware, the OS version should be the same between the official release and dev preview release.

Doffen

What bugs me the most is the lack of streaming to the mobile build. Not only does that exclude Windows Phone, but also sub 8" tablets that ship with the OS.

And seeing how Sony does it on the Xperia phones and tablets, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

The talker of the keynote didn't mention that, but I guess he would say "Maybe in the future" like the rest of the missing features.

I would absolutely love the ability to stream Xbox One games to Windows 10 mobile devices, and with the rumor of a new controller it might also work out of the box for phones.

f0lken

I love my 1020 too but the phone didn't sell.

So yeah, everything is looking like an iPhone.

I personally prefer the 925 design the best. When I see someone with one on the street the phone just stands out like no other phone.

Obviously no WP flagship will sell tens of millions by itself soon (ever?) but the problem with the 1020 is that it was sold as a niche product for an even more niche demographic, I hope that whatever its successor is, it would be advertised and sold like the main flagship phone, aka I want a 940 41mp phone and not a lumia 1040

Top Bottom