• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Obviously no WP flagship will sell tens of millions by itself soon (ever?) but the problem with the 1020 is that it was sold as a niche product for an even more niche demographic

I disagree, that phone was pushed hard,at least on at&t. I remember the elaborate dioramas meant to show off the zoom capabilities in the store. It just wasn't a Samsung or Apple phone. And it didn't run Android. And it had the weird camera hump. But Nokia gave that phone a good push and it just didn't work. Which is a shame, the device was/is incredible at photography,and I think a lot of people do care about that.

What bugs me the most is the lack of streaming to the mobile build. Not only does that exclude Windows Phone, but also sub 8" tablets that ship with the OS.

And seeing how Sony does it on the Xperia phones and tablets, there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Hopefully it's just a wave 1, wave 2 type of thing where mobile is next. Maybe mobile is deemphasized because US is target market and data plans are horrible here(?). Still seems bizarre, since smaller tablets are the single biggest usecase of that feature for me.

f0lken

I disagree, that phone was pushed hard,at least on at&t. I remember the elaborate dioramas meant to show off the zoom capabilities in the store. It just wasn't a Samsung or Apple phone. And it didn't run Android. And it had the weird camera hump. But Nokia gave that phone a good push and it just didn't work. Which is a shame, the device was/is incredible at photography,and I think a lot of people do care about that.

I can't talk about that, here in Mexico ads ran plenty for the 920 series well after the 1020 came out, I didn't know it was pushed hard in the US

Nero3000

Question on the streaming, if someone is watching TV (HDMI passthrough) and i want to stream a game, will it still continue to show TV or will it switch to game on the main TV aswell...

The one with the van in the mirror?

One with a large amount of controversy too.
Wasn't that for the OIS in the 920?

The 1020 had no such controversy and did have a lot of hype from ATT. The original firmware though did produce shitty indoor pics with the xenon flash. This issue along with the 1020's slower shutter caused many websites to claim the iPhone 5S camera to be superior in "everyday situations." At the time, the lack of Instagram also hurt sales. 1020 would have sold much better without these issues.

So yeah, poor sales of the 1020 is why we don't have a 1030. Hopefully, the 1040 with W10 delivers.

Question on the streaming, if someone is watching TV (HDMI passthrough) and i want to stream a game, will it still continue to show TV or will it switch to game on the main TV aswell...
That's how Joe presented the idea in the initial Win 10 video, so I assume it works like that. Can be running an application (such as TV) on your Xbox while it's streaming a running game to a Win 10 device.

hwalker84

My god if I could have the camera speed of the 1520 (denim) with the camera from the 1020.

I'll take any fucking hero device right now actually

JaggedSac

That's how Joe presented the idea in the initial Win 10 video, so I assume it works like that. Can be running an application (such as TV) on your Xbox while it's streaming a running game to a Win 10 device.

Phil said that was the idea but they haven't gotten there yet.

Apparently WMPU bribed Evan Blass (of evleaks fame) to write an editorial for them. I just read the headline on Twitter (something like "Windows 10 is the make or break moment for Windows Phone"), but was so disappointed that he wrote for them, that I didn't check it out.

I know some of you poor misguided souls still visit that trash. Does he make any good points?

Milchjon

Apparently WMPU bribed Evan Blass (of evleaks fame) to write an editorial for them. I just read the headline on Twitter (something like "Windows 10 is the make or break moment for Windows Phone"), but was so disappointed that he wrote for them, that I didn't check it out.

I know some of you poor misguided souls still visit that trash. Does he make any good points?

This is the equivalent of me requesting bans and then asking other GAFfers about what's happening on Twitter/wherever.

Bad habit, my friend.

MCD

Next-gen reader makes reading it less vile lol.

This is the equivalent of me requesting bans and then asking other GAFfers about what's happening on Twitter/wherever.

Bad habit, my friend.

Oh please, like you don't log out and still lurk.

Anyway, I was just asking because I was interested in his editorial, I swear!

Next-gen reader makes reading it less vile lol.

It's about the other content and the fuck face who runs the site.

Milchjon

Honestly, it works. I still waste time on GAF, sure, but it's probably a ~50% decrease via a combination of not being able to enter dumb debates and not F5-ing to wait for answers to own posts.

maeh2k

Haven't read it either. With new releases there's always the hope they'll turn things around, but it never happens. Windows Phone 7 / Windows 8 were the real make or break moments -- and they broke it.

Ape

Banned
Honestly, it works. I still waste time on GAF, sure, but it's probably a ~50% decrease via a combination of not being able to enter dumb debates and not F5-ing to wait for answers to own posts.

I can see how it works, but there's probably a bigger issue here.

Nero3000

Notification syncing shown here in a screenshot (?) Tom Warren tweeted. Whatsapp is only available for phone...(hopefully you can quick reply from desktop).

8PMEErM.png

Does continuum sync notifications for phone only apps? and allow quick replys to phone only apps?

That's a good question. I don't think it allows things like replying to WhatsApp messages, but you can definitely text from your PC.

e: The feature is called "Continuity", btw. My bad.

hwalker84

Guys. Microsoft Translator has been pending for 3 days now. Lastflowers,dLMN8R what should I do to avoid the Microsoft Health debacle which lead to me hard resetting the phone?

dLMN8R

Notification syncing shown here in a screenshot (?) Tom Warren tweeted. Whatsapp is only available for phone...(hopefully you can quick reply from desktop).

8PMEErM.png
Look at the date on the taskbar

Guys. Microsoft Translator has been pending for 3 days now. Lastflowers,dLMN8R what should I do to avoid the Microsoft Health debacle which lead to me hard resetting the phone?

I don't know what will fix it, but maybe try toggling the settings for allowing updates on mobile data, turning on/off auto updates, etc.?

Am I missing something here? Does the Windows Phone app from the store only backup photos in the Camera roll, Saved pictures, and Screenshots folders? It doesn't seem to be interested in my WhatsApp folder. :-S

I feel like app support for Windows Phone is actually getting worse.

"Fans of both Windows Phone and baseball will surely be disappointed by MLB's latest news. The league will evidently not be updating their At Bat app on Windows Phone 8.1 with support for the 2015 season. The app was recently updated on iOS and Android for the new season."

giga

"Fans of both Windows Phone and baseball will surely be disappointed by MLB's latest news. The league will evidently not be updating their At Bat app on Windows Phone 8.1 with support for the 2015 season. The app was recently updated on iOS and Android for the new season."
I'm surprised they went with the plural "fans" instead of just saying "The remaining fan of both Windows Phone and baseball…"

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Son of a bitch

ugh

Manfred can kiss my rear.

ElNino

Damn... I used the At Bat 14 app almost every day last year. As a Dodgers fan living in Canada (and in the east), I used it to watch all of their highlights every morning during my commute to work.

Very disappointed right now... and I've already sent an email to cancel my auto-renewal sub.

Top Bottom