• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hmm. I checked the corporate account and I can upgrade to an iPhone even though I have another year left. Hmm....

I wouldn't touch an iPhone until they include 2gb ram. Probably later this year. It makes a big difference on the new iPad, especially web browsing.

clav

I wouldn't touch an iPhone until they include 2gb ram. Probably later this year. It makes a big difference on the new iPad, especially web browsing.

Yeah I agree with this statement.

What to do.

Galaxy S6 looks disappointing, so I'm back considering the Note 4, but I hate bloatware.

No word on flagship WP if ever.

I may wait for an iPhone at this rate.

frontieruk

In America, we write the date the proper way, the way people say it. Because freedom.

so you say March the 8th instead of the 8th of March? Mind blown...

The United States has a rather unique way of writing the date that is imitated in very few other countries (although Canada and Belize do also use the form)

Guess you guys really did just want to be Emo and not conform ;)

frontieruk

Are we speaking in a parliamentary session or what? Where does the "the" come from? It's March 8th. 3/8.

See and this is why English has become bastardised beyond recognition ;)

Funny story my mum can remember when awful meant full of awe, English just evolves at rate of knots.

Written I'd agree drop the 'the' when writing, but to actually truncate that way while speaking just feels alien.

kazinova

Post denim photo question: the Lumia camera app photo roll looks crisp and amazing but he moment I load the photo in another app it's missing all the crisp detail the photo had.

Even if I edit in Lumia Creative Studio the photos look like crap. I'm in 5+18 jpg mode. Is it loading the shitty 5mp version for some reason? I want the nice photos to share on Instagram or Twitter not the ones that look like my old Focus took them.

I'm super frustrated.

Did Microsoft do anything to address the Japanese and Chinese market at MWC? Wasn't there a rumor that they wanted to show off something regarding the Japanese market?

clav

Did Microsoft do anything to address the Japanese and Chinese market at MWC? Wasn't there a rumor that they wanted to show off something regarding the Japanese market?

Aside from selling MixRadio to the popular Asian messaging application Line (think of Skype/Whatsapp for Asians), no.

Post denim photo question: the Lumia camera app photo roll looks crisp and amazing but he moment I load the photo in another app it's missing all the crisp detail the photo had.

Even if I edit in Lumia Creative Studio the photos look like crap. I'm in 5+18 jpg mode. Is it loading the shitty 5mp version for some reason? I want the nice photos to share on Instagram or Twitter not the ones that look like my old Focus took them.

I'm super frustrated.
It's the WP versions of the apps that are horrible. Even 6tag is low res compared to the iPhone version of Instagram. On my friend's 6+ it looks absolutely gorgeous.

It's the WP versions of the apps that are horrible. Even 6tag is low res compared to the iPhone version of Instagram. On my friend's 6+ it looks absolutely gorgeous.

WP apps in general have done a terrible job at supporting higher resolution/the larger screen phones.

Hell, half of MSFT's own apps aren't utilizing my 1520's screen size and resolution well.

NeOak

WP apps in general have done a terrible job at supporting higher resolution/the larger screen phones.

Hell, half of MSFT's own apps aren't utilizing my 1520's screen size and resolution well.

Skype took 2 years to add a higher resolution mode

kazinova

It's not just the apps the version sent in emails is so down sampled it's ridiculous. How do I get these beautiful images off my phone? USB?

hwalker84

http://wmpoweruser.com/a-novel-way-to-hard-reset-your-windows-phone/

wp_ss_20150306_0001_thumb.png

Someone try it.

Should I be worried that most app news lately has been "X brand app discontinues Windows Phone support"?

Like, shouldn't MS be trying to do the opposite, considering the buildup to W10?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's not just the apps the version sent in emails is so down sampled it's ridiculous. How do I get these beautiful images off my phone? USB?

If you select to back up pictures under the best quality in settings, the images are saved in full res on OneDrive. Saved images that you edit with apps such as fotor are also saved in full resolution on OneDrive, under the pictures folder, then saved pictures. Otherwise, yes, you can grab them through USB.

MCD

Should I be worried that most app news lately has been "X brand app discontinues Windows Phone support"?

Like, shouldn't MS be trying to do the opposite, considering the buildup to W10?

It's been rough ever since Satya took over...just saying!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I don't like the direction the Apple watch took. I think Google's vision is more appropriate for a watch. I also don't like what they did to the MacBook. Ports are important, otherwise I'd just get a tablet. Plus their keyboard now isn't any better than that on the surface pro 3. So I think Microsoft wins there. Very disappointed with their products today.

NeOak

I don't like the direction the Apple watch took. I think Google's vision is more appropriate for a watch. I also don't like what they did to the MacBook. Ports are important, otherwise I'd just get a tablet. Plus their keyboard now isn't any better than that on the surface pro 3. So I think Microsoft wins there. Very disappointed with their products today.

At least they skipped Thunderbolt and used USB 3.1 Type C

It's weird that they chose to make the MacBook more of a specialty or niche product. The sacrifices they made (for form factor) feel like it made the laptop far less "general purpose".

It's weird that they chose to make the MacBook more of a specialty or niche product. The sacrifices they made (for form factor) feel like it made the laptop far less "general purpose".
The naming makes no sense, but I guess they're just trying to maintain two product lines while killing the 'Air' laptop name and reclaiming their old stalwart, the MacBook. I imagine a slimmer Pro will come out in the next year and a half.

dLMN8R

I never thought I'd see the day where Apple's flagship consumer-level laptop could be attacked with the same "full USB" tagline in Surface Pro 3 ads that iPads were.

maeh2k

Wasn't impressed by the Macbook, either. Not after Surface Pro 3 and recently the new Dell XPS 13. And it's not exactly the first time we've seen a laptop that light, either. E.g. the 2013 Vaio Pro 13 with its carbon fiber construction weighs close to the same, I believe (see http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-Pro-13-SVP-1321C5ER-Ultrabook.98624.0.html). It's almost ironic how the Vaio was often criticized for its shorter battery life compared to the MBA and now Apple have made the weight-over-battery-life trade-off themselves.

Wasn't impressed by the Macbook, either. Not after Surface Pro 3 and recently the new Dell XPS 13. And it's not exactly the first time we've seen a laptop that light, either. E.g. the 2013 Vaio Pro 13 with its carbon fiber construction weighs close to the same, I believe (see http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-Pro-13-SVP-1321C5ER-Ultrabook.98624.0.html). It's almost ironic how the Vaio was often criticized for its shorter battery life compared to the MBA and now Apple have made the weight-over-battery-life trade-off themselves.

Isn't the new one still ten hours? Depending on the reports, that's something even the new XPS 13 is having problems to achieve.

Do you have access to Surface Pro 3 sales numbers that I'm unaware of?

Do you?

E: If sales were good or impressive, Microsoft would let everyone know. Just look at the months when the Xbox dominated the NPD sales vs now.

"best selling blah blah blah" etc.

Top Bottom