• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

dLMN8R

Do you?

E: If sales were good or impressive, Microsoft would let everyone know. Just look at the months when the Xbox dominated the NPD sales vs now.

"best selling blah blah blah" etc.

Microsoft has touted the Surface Pro 3's growth multiple times. It's now pulling in over a billion per quarter.

2014 Q4: $409 million
2015 Q1: $908 million
2015 Q2: $1.1 billion

Hard to say that it's not "selling" with those numbers, even if we don't know actual unit sales.

NeOak

Do you?

E: If sales were good or impressive, Microsoft would let everyone know. Just look at the months when the Xbox dominated the NPD sales vs now.

I've seen SP3s in the wild. More than MacBook Airs actually.

Mild screen burn in on my 735 already ;_;

36034054.jpg

that sucks :(

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Do you?

Surface pro 3 is doing quite well. Tablets and PCs are not game consoles, fanboys don't sit around waiting for the sales numbers to be released every month to see who "won."
Anecdotally, my mom loves her surface and may actually get a windows phone because of it. She is all about apple.

Dayum @ that mockup, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Oddly enough my dad calls windows phones surface phones, they might as well expand the brand.

That kickstand is an abomination. If people want to fuck up the aesthetics of their phone let them do it with a case, probably one that will also clip on to their belt.

Also Surface in general just isn't nearly as cool as Nokia design. It's barely better than Apple.

frontieruk

That kickstand is an abomination. If people want to fuck up the aesthetics of their phone let them do it with a case, probably one that will also clip on to their belt.

Also Surface in general just isn't nearly as cool as Nokia design. It's barely better than Apple.

Easy on the koolaid... The Nokia lumia design is stale as hell, it's been recycled to many times in its own family of devices and didn't it first appear as the Nokia 808? That's 3years old now the design has been played out its time to bring something new to the table.

Easy on the koolaid... The Nokia lumia design is stale as hell, it's been recycled to many times in its own family of devices and didn't it first appear as the Nokia 808? That's 3years old now the design has been played out its time to bring something new to the table.

I dunno, I've had three different Lumias now (920, 1520, 635) that each had way more distinction between them than that mockup does to any different Surface product. Eh. Also, I came to WP because the bright colors and coordination between tiles and phone made the whole phone + os feel more integrated, more complete, and better looking than anything on iOS or Android. Surface doesn't really have that cohesiveness between hardware and software. But that's just me.

NeOak

Nokia N9

frontieruk

cheers so 2011 then.

I dunno, I've had three different Lumias now (920, 1520, 635) that each had way more distinction between them than that mockup does to any different Surface product. Eh. Also, I came to WP because the bright colors and coordination between tiles and phone made the whole phone + os feel more integrated, more complete, and better looking than anything on iOS or Android. Surface doesn't really have that cohesiveness between hardware and software. But that's just me.

That's just it though the bright colours are nice, it was a nice differentiator except most people put coloured cases on their phones, iphones are a good example, and as we've established that the lumia design language wasn't designed around wp it's just a happy coincidence you find the experience cohesive.

As to the Surface device, some people want a professional looking device that doesnt look like my childs first mobile in a board room, which is what the 925/928/930 were for, a surface device just takes that to its logical conclusion and the takemycash.jpgs being posted should just illustrate that just as your needs are met by the lumia design language not everyone's is.

Milchjon

Pretty sure I've never read a skeptical article about a MacBook on The Verge before today. Other parts of their lineup, sure, but never a MacBook.

Paganmoon

Seriously. I love my Surface Pro 2 but come on guys.

x86 in your pocket
a kickstand (if designed well), that you can use both for portrait and landscape mode.
Surface like "slanted sides" design looks good.
Many (and I mean many) already have a cover for their phones, with a bulky design, having it integrated, again, like the surface with a magnet, and have it double as a touchkeyboard (why not, you don't have to use it).

I really don't see the problem.

kharma45

They're not quite as bad as a I feared, but they shouldn't pair them with SuperAMOLED screens. The displays of the 735 and the 830 should've been swapped around.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Surface Phone would be an amazing idea. I want same hardware team behind Surface Pro 3 building a phone.

hadareud

The Translator
x86 in your pocket
a kickstand (if designed well), that you can use both for portrait and landscape mode.
Surface like "slanted sides" design looks good.
Many (and I mean many) already have a cover for their phones, with a bulky design, having it integrated, again, like the surface with a magnet, and have it double as a touchkeyboard (why not, you don't have to use it).

I really don't see the problem.

Why on earth would you want a kick stand on a phone? There's not a single thing I can think of where that would come in even somewhat useful. Unless of course you've had your hands amputated, in which case, I'm very sorry to hear that.

X86? What ever for?

And the keyboard, my god the keyboard looks horrendous. Like, unusable.

It's the worst concept I've ever seen. It's like it's been conceived by Homer Simpson.

Pooya

my 535 got a firmware update... wow the touchscreen is actually fairly usable now, wasn't expecting an actual fix, only took 5 months. I imagine a lot of people who used this as their main phone must have already returned it or something. It's a ok now, no crazy keyboard anymore.

CaptainABAB

Weird - my ATT 920 says it now has Denim but I don't recall getting any update recently. And I've checked "extras & info" maybe 2 weeks ago and it said Cyan.

I have Preview for Developers app but it is not currently enabled.

....?

I've had my 1020 for 2 yrs or so now. I don't think I need a new flagship, I need an action camera. Something waterproof and can do slow-mo video. I've realized I only need nice pics when on vacation. When I am on vacation I'm snorkeling, hiking, etc. While my 1020 has managed with waterproof camera bags it isn't the best solution.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
YIS

So now I'd run out of batteries for not only one, but two devices critical to my job. No thanks hwalker84.

What is your other device that runs out of battery? And where do you work that you can plug in for even an hour?

I love my surface pro 2 with power cover, I have worked without plugging in for ~12hrs consecutively, not that it mattered, I was at home and could have plugged in anytime.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What is your other device that runs out of battery? And where do you work that you can plug in for even an hour?
Laptop and mobile phone. If either of them dies I'm SOL. As consultor/media person I have to attend to a lot of trade shows. Finding a spare wall socket can be tough when you are conducting business at over a dozen places in just one morning. I've found myself countless times using an actual pen and paper notebook because my laptop wouldn't last until lunch time. These days I even carry a spare Android phone just in case my battered down 920 craps on me.

Let it be know that I absolutely adore the Surface Pro line, but it's too expensive for what I need; an affordable, thin, light 13" laptop with an excellent keyboard, robust build and top of the line battery life.

NeOak

lol @ this forum post at the verge

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/10/8...acbook-should-be-called-the-macbook-meh-a-sp3

COMPARISON: Surface Pro 3 (vs new MacBook)

1. THE PROCESSOR, BATTERY LIFE

Intel Core i# (vs Intel Core M)
The Intel Core M processors used by the new MacBook is a serious compromise of performance for battery life. Take for reference the recent Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro that uses a similar processor. Compare this to the SP3 which uses a full-powered Intel Core i, but with the same 9 hour battery life. Putting the slower Intel Core M into the new MacBook just for the same amount of battery life and fan-less operation is not a good compromise in my tastes.

2. KEYBOARD, TRACKPAD

Real clicking (vs Taptic Engine)
This is where both devices are kind of even. The new MacBook with its "butterfly-mechanism" keyboard, makes for a really shallow key travel, like the Surface Pro Type Cover. The Surface Pro Type Cover does seem to have a better clicking experience on its trackpad with actual "click-ability", rather than the Taptic Engine vibrating to give you the illusion of clicking. Having force-touch doesn't really make sense in a laptop when the trackpad already has so many gestures.

3. THICKNESS, WEIGHT

9.1mm, 13.9mm with Type Cover (vs 13.1mm at thickest)
800g, 1.1kg with Type Cover (vs 920g)
Both devices have a similar screen size of 12 inches, and the new MacBook seems to have the slightest edge over the Surface Pro 3 in terms of being slimmer and lighter as a laptop. Apple's design smarts clearly shows in their engineering of their newest laptop.

However, the Surface Pro 3 being a 2in1 PC, allows you to detach the Type Cover keyboard and continue using the same powerful tablet. Without the Type Cover it is slimmer and lighter than the new MacBook, and it is easier to use while in bed or holding it up to sketch with the pen.

There's a good reason to compromise in thickness and weight in a Surface Pro 3 though…

4. PORTS, WHAT PORTS?

The Surface Pro 3 has: Charging/Docking Port, USB 3, Mini DisplayPort, microSD slot, Audio Jack, 5MP Front/Back Cameras and Mics
(vs. only a single USB 3.1 Type C port for charging and everything else, Audio Jack, 480p FaceTime Camera and Mic on the new MacBook)

Let's be honest here, the new MacBook is totally devoid of ports so much so that you're severely limited in choice, and you likely aren't going to use it as a work machine. The Surface Pro 3 manages to balance portability and connectivity. Two issues come to mind with the new MacBook:

A. You'll need a $79 USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to split that port and allow you to charge, display out, and connect to a USB device at the same time. It's something rather ugly you can lose easily (and spend another $79 on), plus it is quite expensive for something you can only use on one device (you can now get a AppleTV for $69). Need VGA without converting the HDMI output? Get another adapter for $79.
B. Charging speeds. Apple has opted for a 29W USB-C power adapter (again something you cannot use with another MacBook). This is really slow for a laptop and you might have to wait longer to get a full charge. Compare this to the 36W charger for Surface Pro 3 (which feature a nifty USB port for charging your phone without occupying the sole port on your tablet), or the 45W charger for a MacBook Air.
We may be in the wireless age, but for the mobile professional, it's likely that they are going to need those ports most of the time. Having an additional appendage in the way certainly doesn't help. And with a hefty price tag of $1299, Apple's surely is targeting the mobile professional, right?

5. THE PRICE, AND WHAT YOU GET WITH THAT PRICE (IN USD)

About $1,498.00 for a Surface Pro 3 bundle (i5/256GB SP3 + Type Cover, Sleeve, Office 365, Microsoft Complete Extended Service Plan) or $1,428 for a non-promo i5/256GB SP3 + Type Cover.
(vs $1299 and up for the new MacBook and nothing else)

Here's the hard hitter. You're paying about the same price for a MacBook that does less. It's just more shiny with a Retina screen. With the Surface Pro 3 bundle you're getting a powerhouse that can do everything from movies, games and office documents. Not to forget that the SP3 is a tablet too, with a touchscreen and a pen that allows you to make drawings and write notes with digital ink and OneNote. Spend your money on a Surface Pro 3, or even a MacBook Air.

FINAL VERDICT: APPLE WANTS YOU TO MEET THE NEW MACBOOK MEH.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You know, for all the shit the new MacBook is getting people should really fucking make peace once and for all with the fact that Apple makes the best trackpads out there.

Full stop.

As a Windows user I am eternally angry at the piss poor effort made by most laptop manufacturers in this area.

Top Bottom