• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

It's too big, for one. My sweet spot for screen size is 5". It's getting close to tablet territory.

The keyboard is an interesting concept but I'm not going to put my phone down to type on it and it's too small to get any noticeable improvement over thumb typing.

Everything is on the cloud and easily accessible these days. I don't need to be super productive on my phone when a tablet/PC does the same thing but better. Integration is good but it doesn't have to exist for all functions.

My guess is that MS sees the success of the SP3 as an indication that laptop/tablet hybrids work, and are attempting a phone/tablet/laptop hybrid now. I'm all for innovation but it's not for me.

PG2G

If something like this existed, I'm sure there would be nothing preventing you from ignoring all of those features and using it as a phone.

It's too big, for one. My sweet spot for screen size is 5". It's getting close to tablet territory.

The keyboard is an interesting concept but I'm not going to put my phone down to type on it and it's too small to get any noticeable improvement over thumb typing.

Everything is on the cloud and easily accessible these days. I don't need to be super productive on my phone when a tablet/PC does the same thing but better. Integration is good but it doesn't have to exist for all functions.

My guess is that MS sees the success of the SP3 as an indication that laptop/tablet hybrids work, and are attempting a phone/tablet/laptop hybrid now. I'm all for innovation but it's not for me.

Phablets have a dumb name but they are an established product, you know. Windows Phone already has a damn good one, and they aren't only for more "productivity." A big screen is great for pretty much everything you already do on your smart phone, even if it's just browsing the web and watching YouTube.

Too bad if you have small hands though.

hankster

burger-king-tiny-hands.jpg

Alx

Hi guys,
I got an update for my phone (Nokia 925) last week, that added support for Cortana (yay !), but I noticed that ever since, my phone is constantly uploading through wifi (outgoing Arrow on the wifi icon, and since we had an experiment on a wifi router at work, I could observe the increase in queries).
I'm a bit worried about battery life (and also privacy) as a consequence, but couldn't find the source of that communication, nor a way to disable that. I immediately thought of Cortana of course, but even disabling it/her didn't change anything. Couldn't find any info online either.
Any idea please ?

My current OS version is 8.10.14234.375

nubbe

4K recording seem off... Either the phone recording is choppy... or my computer suck @ 4k

get 15-25 FPS when it should be 30

NeOak

it's funny and sad seeing American banks abandoning WP, while MS is all USA USA USA.
You're talking about the same banks that cratered the US economy in 2008.

They don't care even about their own country over profits.

hwalker84

4K recording seem off... Either the phone recording is choppy... or my computer suck @ 4k

get 15-25 FPS when it should be 30

My phone pooped on itself when I was recording a long 4k video. I got a message that the SDCard was to slow to record the video after about 5 minutes of so of recording. It left a massive file that was unusable on my phone.

MCD

I understand why: app devs or the companies behind the big ones are mostly US. Still, situation is getting worse with every day.

That wait for Win10 is going to end this platform.

nillapuddin

I would buy that Surface Phone 8 days a week.

Doesn't need to be a keyboard, the cover could be a featureless case instead of a keyboard, having a built in cover would be so slick.

Does it need to be a full pc either (although its pretty cool).

I said a few pages back that 1020 generation style is best style, and I haven't changed my mind, but I really like the idea of pushing "Surface" as a brand into all 3 spaces, phone, phablet, tablet.

Milchmann

So what is the best WP budget phone right now (in Germany)? My 520 is apparently on its last legs and the Lumia lineup is as confusing as possible.

Hi guys!

I currently have an iPhone 5 with iOS 8.2.

I'm looking for an affordable phone, as a secondary phone, to replace my work phone (Nokia E5).

Currently looking at Lumia 625 and Lumia 532.

Are both good choices?

What is Microsoft current update policy? Will future Windows Phone updates, such as Windows Phone 10, be available in those models?

I just got a shiny new orange 930 work phone.
But seriously that is some false advertising. The orange I see everywhere in pictures is nowhere near the orange that I have on my phone.

Nevertheless. What do I do? Where do I start?
Any do's and dont's?
Must have apps?

WTF. I cannot use Cotana in Germany if my language is set to English (UK)‽ WTF

n64coder

Must have apps?

Download Authenticator app. Turn on two-step authentication for your email accounts. If you use gmail, just enter the key.

MSN News is pretty nice.

OneNote for your notes. Or Evernote. I use both but I'm switching to OneNote for good.

Wordament is my favorite game as of late. Been playing it on my WP and Ipad.

The Nokia/Lumia apps are good.

OneDrive app. Make sure you turn on auto-upload of your pictures.

kharma45

Hi guys!

I currently have an iPhone 5 with iOS 8.2.

I'm looking for an affordable phone, as a secondary phone, to replace my work phone (Nokia E5).

Currently looking at Lumia 625 and Lumia 532.

Are both good choices?

What is Microsoft current update policy? Will future Windows Phone updates, such as Windows Phone 10, be available in those models?

Depends on what you deem affordable.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
That's good . Ridiculous that my 830 is going to be one the last devices to get it when it was shown with the new features so long ago!

kazinova

I had to go to the MS Store to get a new screen protector for my Band (damn dog!) and while I was there I spent the $10 to get a new housing for the 635 I loaded W10TP on.

Absolutely worth it. Radioactive orange is awesome!

Side benefit, the replacement shells don't have AT&T's branding on them so there's not a trace of AT&T on my 635 with the exception of the splash screen at boot. (Which I can get rid of with the "Care Tool" or whatever it's called, right?)

Top Bottom