• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator

Pooya

People might actually use cortana now, more population -> software getting better at its suggestions maybe?

now what happened to Spartan Strike though, I had some bucks from gamestop codes left in my account waiting for that, ended up spending it on some other junk.

People might actually use cortana now, more population -> software getting better at its suggestions maybe?

now what happened to Spartan Strike though, I had some bucks from gamestop codes left in my account waiting for that, ended up spending it on some other junk.
What happened was MCC was a broken mess and they didn't want to release another Halo-branded title while MCC was in shambles.

-----------

Cortana coming to other platforms makes sense for the same reason iTunes is on Windows. If they want people to use Cortana across their devices they need to bring it to mobile platforms that people are using.

n64coder

How do you look up the RM number of a Nokia phone? I have the Lumia 1020 but how I determine if it's RM-875 or RM-877 or something else?

I thought it would be under the Settings -> About Phone but I just see that it's a Nokia 909.

n64coder

How do you look up the RM number of a Nokia phone? I have the Lumia 1020 but how I determine if it's RM-875 or RM-877 or something else?

I thought it would be under the Settings -> About Phone but I just see that it's a Nokia 909.

Never mind. It's under Extras + Info. So mine is an 877.

lol

There's nothing terrible about the iPhone KB. It's just that the WP KB either is considerably better or it's just me.

Yeah, exactly. WP's KB makes so much more sense and is so much more intuitive to me. Using a friend's iPhone can be frustrating, in comparison.

Joe

Can anyone comment on the lumia 635 vs the 520? I had the 520 but it felt really, really cheap and had terrible battery life.

lol, I'm with you. Cortana integration will still be better on Windows......for now anyways.

Cortana is something I'm definitely missing from Windows Phone. Having it on Android would automatically make it more useful on Windows 10 as well. How is it still going to be better on Windows?

Lichter

Okay I think I'm going to resell my Lumia 1520 then.

And I've been a very patient consumer Microsoft, not all of the latest apps: ok, not all of the games: ok, and now they are putting all of our rare "exclusive" features to other operating systems?

Next step: Universal Apps + Metro UI launcher for Android...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If you're ok with the apps and software, selling the phone because they released a feature on another platform is silly. For one, where are you going to find a comparable camera? How does other users having access to the app harming your experience? If anything Cortana is going to get a lot more useful and accurate with other users adding to it's database.

If you're ok with the apps and software, selling the phone because they released a feature on another platform is silly. For one, where are you going to find a comparable camera? How does other users having access to the app harming your experience? If anything Cortana is going to get a lot more useful and accurate with other users adding to it's database.

It's like users being upset that a formerly exclusive game comes to other platforms.

How and why does it impact your experience?

Heretic

Okay I think I'm going to resell my Lumia 1520 then.

And I've been a very patient consumer Microsoft, not all of the latest apps: ok, not all of the games: ok, and now they are putting all of our rare "exclusive" features to other operating systems?

Next step: Universal Apps + Metro UI launcher for Android...

The good thing about that is that those same universal apps would work on WP! MS needs to get Universal Apps running on EVERYTHING. Benefits the MS ecosystem.

I'm more pissed off that MS apps are better in other operating systems!

Kowalski

Banned
Can anyone comment on the lumia 635 vs the 520? I had the 520 but it felt really, really cheap and had terrible battery life.

It's not what you asked, but I have the HTC One M8 (WP) and it's a great phone. However, also read some negatives about it, but I dont notice them at all. The M8 functions great and happy I upgraded to it.

JaggedSac

Just curious, how extensively can MS integrate Cortana into the other OS? Can you replace Ok Google with Cortana for instance? Is this something you will need to open an app to use? Although, I guess technically, the search button is just opening a "Cortana app" on WP.

Heretic

Just curious, how extensively can MS integrate Cortana into the other OS? Can you replace Ok Google with Cortana for instance? Is this something you will need to open an app to use? Although, I guess technically, the search button is just opening a "Cortana app" on WP.

I'm guessing it's just the app. "Hey Cortana" probably won't work. Or it'll have way more features than WP does...

Pooya

maybe Samsung let them integrate it into touchwiz heh. It's not going to do much on iOS for sure.

clav

Kinda.

The way how some MS apps work on Android is hooking the Google Maps with Driving mode + GPS screen power on feature, so when a user turns on the phone the screen goes to that app (e.g. Picturesque).

I would imagine you could just say Hey Cortana by redirecting power on to there.

maybe Samsung let them integrate it into touchwiz heh. It's not going to do much on iOS for sure.

Read above. My Galaxy S3 can now easily shoot photos from lock screen thanks to MS even with a lock screen password enabled. I don't need to unlock the phone to take a picture, but I need to unlock it when I want to view pictures.

hwalker84

I'm more pissed off that MS apps are better in other operating systems!
Tell me about it. It was hilarious to me on Android with two factor authentication Microsoft apps will talk to the Microsoft security app and automatically get the security information they need.

On windows phone I have to exit whatever app it is, open authenticator, copy the key and paste into the other app.

Lichter

Well I got carried away, I am going to wait and test Windows 10 for phones.

Yeah, Cortana isn't "integrated" to the OS on WP, it's just an app. (although Cortana on W10 PC is in the OS, not just a button assignation to open an app)

I don't know if other mobile OS deal with features like MS does (making apps). I'm not a developer but that technique is affecting the smoothness of a feature right?

Lichter

I mean Cortana is made as an "app", it's not "integrated" 100% to WP like it is actually on PC.

Is that why Cortana on W10 PC is much more smoother and faster than Cortana on WP?

JaggedSac

I'm guessing it's just the app. "Hey Cortana" probably won't work. Or it'll have way more features than WP does...

Kinda.

The way how some MS apps work on Android is hooking the Google Maps with Driving mode + GPS screen power on feature, so when a user turns on the phone the screen goes to that app (e.g. Picturesque).

I would imagine you could just say Hey Cortana by redirecting power on to there.

Read above. My Galaxy S3 can now easily shoot photos from lock screen thanks to MS even with a lock screen password enabled. I don't need to unlock the phone to take a picture, but I need to unlock it when I want to view pictures.

Gotcha, thanks.

Yeah, Cortana isn't "integrated" to the OS on WP, it's just an app. (although Cortana on W10 PC is in the OS, not just a button assignation to open an app)

Integrated in the sense that it has pretty good access to other MS apps such as Music, alarms, contacts, etc. Do devs have the capabilities to do things such as start music in another app from their app?

Has anyone actually reverted from 10 to 8.1? If so, how did you do it/how did it go?

Mine keeps failing, and I've tried both the Lumia Software Update Tool AND the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

My alarms are extremely inconsistent, and I can't afford to be late anymore, haha, so I'm trying to revert.

Top Bottom