• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Has anyone actually reverted from 10 to 8.1? If so, how did you do it/how did it go?

Mine keeps failing, and I've tried both the Lumia Software Update Tool AND the Windows Phone Recovery Tool.

My alarms are extremely inconsistent, and I can't afford to be late anymore, haha, so I'm trying to revert.
I did on my 640 using recovery tool, it seems to reverse just fine. I used it as music player but Spotify is broken on Win 10.

As for Cortana on other platforms, it just another reason for me not to come back. Unless the next flagship is God tier I am adapting to Android and if you pick good phone then it is not bad at least no worst than 8.1 on my 1020.

hankster

WOW. It's like the "War of the Ecosystems" going on in China. Those Chinese WP users are so passionate.
Better than us lame Americans... Though I have an android fan friend who is going to try out the 640XL because he's tired of how herky jerky his Note 2 has become.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to go down with the ship. I really don't care for Google or Apple. I think the flagship this Fall will be really good......i hope so anyways.

joshschw

My 1520 with Denim battery life has gone from "amazing" in Cyan to "REALLY amazing" in Denim. Thing is a beast. I could use it heavily for the whole day the day and it's still in the high 60's.

kharma45

I feel like Kate Winslet in titanic. I climbed on board the lifeboat of the OnePlus One but my love was too strong, I had to come back. I clambered back over the sides onto that sinking ship to await my fate.

I shall call my Lumia Jack and cradle it until it's final frosty breath.

kharma45

If they can put out a device with hardware which was as stand out as the 920 when it launched I'm in.

Watch it be a Verizon exclusive with no world wide release until it's too late.

Every car charger I've tried for my Lumia Icon gives me a "Phone Slowly Charging..." message. Any recommendations for a car charger that will quickly charge my phone?

n64coder

Every car charger I've tried for my Lumia Icon gives me a "Phone Slowly Charging..." message. Any recommendations for a car charger that will quickly charge my phone?

I think you need to make the USB cable be charging only with an adapter like this.

My wife's 830 has this issue and I bought a couple of these adapters to fix the issue. They arrived at my office on Friday so I expect to get them tomorrow and confirm that the slow charging problem is fixed. Plus these will help the Garmin GPS which tend to go into USB mode when you don't use a charging cable.

f0lken

Who has a 1520?? How much of an upgrade it would be from a 1020?? I won't miss that much the camera for photos since lately I got a nice camera bag where I carry my Sony Alpha everywhere with me, but I am thinking of recording videos from the photoshoots I do for work. I can get one for like $330 equivalent in mexican pesos.

I am thinking of buying the 1520 because my loyal 1020's screen shattered a couple of times already and replacing it is expensive as fuck here (like $200) so I thought I may as well just buy another phone, I don't really like budget phones because I just love high end screens

NeOak

I use this with my 1520. Charges it faster than my Nokia DC-17.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFEJNNO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Who has a 1520?? How much of an upgrade it would be from a 1020?? I won't miss that much the camera for photos since lately I got a nice camera bag where I carry my Sony Alpha everywhere with me, but I am thinking of recording videos from the photoshoots I do for work. I can get one for like $330 equivalent in mexican pesos.

I am thinking of buying the 1520 because my loyal 1020's screen shattered a couple of times already and replacing it is expensive as fuck here (like $200) so I thought I may as well just buy another phone, I don't really like budget phones because I just love high end screens

In terms of performance it is faster and you will love Denim with 4k and 5.1 sound video recording.

Pictures come out fine.

Paganmoon

Posted? Rumors on the next flagship:

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/mobile/37254-flagship-lumia-to-get-iris-scanner-dock

Iris Scanner:

The company is said to be working on an iris scanner instead. The advantages of using an iris scanner are more or less obvious – the user would not have to touch or swipe the sensor, so it could work with gloves and other scenarios where fingerprint scanning doesn’t make sense. Of course, there are some drawbacks as well, i.e. you’ll have to take your sunglasses off. We were told that Microsoft’s approach also relies on near-infrared imaging, so it should work in low light as well.

And Dock:

The second curious feature is a dock. Information is limited, but the Lumia 940 may be the first Windows phone to support docking, so it could be mated other devices, or even function as a standalone computer in some scenarios (like Motorola’s ill-fated Atrix concept).

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Interesting. I toyed around Fujitsu's iris scanning tech (that's the only company working on it AFAIK) at the Mobile World Congress and it was incredibly fast and easy to use, other than needing to look at the screen. The setup was even faster than Apple, Samsung and HTC's fringerprint tech. It could be a real coup for Microsoft if that information were true.

With that said...

Microsoft appears to be preparing to activate LED notifications in Windows 10 for phones. Leaked screenshots from a Polish Windows enthusiast forum reveal a number of changes in an upcoming preview of Windows 10 for phones, including some UI improvements and notification updates. Apps will soon be able to use sounds, vibrations, banners, and LEDs to notify users. Both BlackBerry OS and Android have long supported LED notifications, but it’s not clear if Microsoft’s implementation supports different colored LED notifications per application. Phones like the Lumia 730 and Lumia 930 will be able to take advantage of the new feature.

It's 2008 all over again! Hooray!

Nero3000

The 930 doesn't have an LED, does it?

Also it would be cool of they implement the edge lighting that Samsung has on notifications for those with oled screens.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The 930 doesn't have an LED, does it?

Also it would be cool of they implement the edge lighting that Samsung has on notifications for those with oled screens.

The Windows, back and search buttons have their own LEDs, same as other WP devices.

JSj92to.jpg

kharma45

I don't see how it'd work with the 730/735 in that article. It's got an AMOLED screen yes but no LED buttons to work with.

I've always thought it'd be cool if you could pulse the Windows key for notification alerts.

kharma45

Oh it seems the 730/735 does have an LED in it. Just besides the FFC and proximity sensor.

Pretty cool, didn't know this until I saw it on r/windowsphone.

Would be a good way to overcome the lack of Glance in both it and the 930.

hadareud

The Translator
The thing is, even if they do, and they come up with a chip that uses the same amount of energy as an equivalent ARM chip, I just don't see the use, frankly. I mean it's nice and all, but also unnecessary. I have a PC, I have a tablet and I have a laptop. I don't really need my phone to be any of these three things.

I also don't think it would be a good idea from a business point of view, you don't really want to eat into the already relatively low Windows tablet sales if you're Microsoft.

But what do I know.

Nero3000

Oh it seems the 730/735 does have an LED in it. Just besides the FFC and proximity sensor.

Pretty cool, didn't know this until I saw it on r/windowsphone.

Would be a good way to overcome the lack of Glance in both it and the 930.

Is that not the IR led for the proximity sensor?

stktt

Banned
As expected, the latest leaked screenshots look better than the current preview build. I'm still ambivalent towards replacing pivots with menus, but the rest of the OS looks nice.

Something about these round stiches or whatever they call them really piss me off.

You might have an irrational hatred of curves.

Iris scanning sounds awesome. Just be sure to have it default to password unlock when I have my sunglasses on cuz I ain't taking off my shades for my phone.

Blablurn

I want to do a complete factory reset of my Windows 8.1 Laptop. I don't have a recovery on the device. But I just did a Windows 8 restore partition thing on my USB drive.

So, all I have to do is set my Start option in the BIOS to the USB drive and then start the reset option in the OS menu?

JaggedSac

Iris scanning sounds awesome. Just be sure to have it default to password unlock when I have my sunglasses on cuz I ain't taking off my shades for my phone.

dealwithit.gif

More importantly, does it work through regular glasses. I'm assuming it does, but that would be worthless for me if not.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
dealwithit.gif

More importantly, does it work through regular glasses. I'm assuming it does, but that would be worthless for me if not.

Fujitsu's iris scanning tech (I'm going to assume they are using that if the rumor is true) works like a charm with glasses. I tried it during the Mobile World Congress and it was one of the show's highlights for me.

Nero3000

I want to do a complete factory reset of my Windows 8.1 Laptop. I don't have a recovery on the device. But I just did a Windows 8 restore partition thing on my USB drive.

So, all I have to do is set my Start option in the BIOS to the USB drive and then start the reset option in the OS menu?

You need to be more specific on this before anyone can advise on the right process.

Some info: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Depending on your PC (or if you know your product key), you could get a fresh 8.1 ISO (from MS) for a clean install.

n64coder

I like the curved ones, but I've never been a fan of the rectangle sliders.

I don't care one way or another.

This thread is for Windows Phone, not Windows computers. Anyway, I think this FAQ will help you. See the item about "Remove everything and reinstall Windows".

Top Bottom