• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Spent part of the day sorting my dad's iPhone and iPad. Using the various Microsoft applications along the way and it really has me wondering why I'm still using Windows Phone. I use MS services regularly, more than any other. But virtually every one of those services is better on iOS. I know this isn't news to anybody, but actually experiencing it was quite staggering.

I just refuse to pay $700+ for an iPhone, installment billing or not.

Plus, my 1020 still takes better pics.

Speaking of which, the only time I've seen others with a 1020 in the wild is when I'm on vacation and visiting tourist spots. The 1020 seems to be the choice of travelers.

Heretic

José Mourinho;156343675 said:
Spent part of the day sorting my dad's iPhone and iPad. Using the various Microsoft applications along the way and it really has me wondering why I'm still using Windows Phone. I use MS services regularly, more than any other. But virtually every one of those services is better on iOS. I know this isn't news to anybody, but actually experiencing it was quite staggering.

My biggest gripe.

n64coder

Can you cite some examples of this? I have an iPad and a Lumia 1020 and I don't see evidence of this. I don't use office 365 on my mobile devices. I do use Wordament, one drive, and Xbox music. The behavior seems the same on all platforms for me. Msn news is also good.

Nero3000

My biggest gripe.

Arnt things like OneDrive and xbox music better on wp? And office on windows tablets?

My attitude with ios devices (and I have one for work) is that it is the little things over time that frustrate you: Lack of file system, apps that don't work together, lack of information bubbling up, stupid app notifications, auto updating of apps, reloading of tabs etc.

Can you cite some examples of this? I have an iPad and a Lumia 1020 and I don't see evidence of this. I don't use office 365 on my mobile devices. I do use Wordament, one drive, and Xbox music. The behavior seems the same on all platforms for me. Msn news is also good.

Arnt things like OneDrive and xbox music better on wp? And office on windows tablets?
The Outlook app is excellent and better than the WP email implementation in my opinion. The office apps are streets ahead of what we have at least in my experience. OneDrive from what I saw offers all the same functionality as the WP counterpart as well. And iOS has all the MSN apps too. Well, News Sport and Health were the only ones I checked, I assume the rest are there also.

Point is, even if there were a few apps which were better on WP, say OneDrive and Xbox Music for example, it would be a very small price to pay, if at all, for going Android or iOS. You get largely the same, if not better, functionality for MS services and all the benefits of an ecosystem that's actually worth a damn.

And from a new users point of view, even an iOS user who is heavy on MS services is unlikely to jump to WP because of a slightly better Xbox Music app. The service is hardly worth a damn and in the grand scheme of things, how many people use it?

Way I see it going forward is I could be on either of the two platforms that are actually going to be on the front foot and still get all the good MS services.

I understand their wanting to be on every platform. Problem is that their rivals are getting the good stuff first and in doing so MS are providing no good reason for anybody to stay or jump onboard. Perhaps if they produced some good hardware, but I'll probably die before they put out some new phones. And even at that they'll probably put out 3 carrier variants and add about another 5 versions to the 6xx range and further dilute the line up.

MarkusRJR

So I changed from Windows Phone to a Moto G 2nd gen (got it as a gift) but I still haven't figured a way to get the contacts from my MS account onto my android phone. I thought it'd be easy to get it synced using the Outlook app or the android contacts app but I have no clue.

Miss the simplicity of WP and how my contacts would appear automatically when I changed phones...

Lazaro

Surprising no one. Windows Phone market share is probably literally 0 in Japan. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't even know about it.

I heard Freetel (Japanese?) is making a Windows Phone.

Aren't the 8.1 tablets doing well though? The New3DS includes MTP (similar to Android implementations) which connects wirelessly to Windows devices exclusively.

maeh2k

So I changed from Windows Phone to a Moto G 2nd gen (got it as a gift) but I still haven't figured a way to get the contacts from my MS account onto my android phone. I thought it'd be easy to get it synced using the Outlook app or the android contacts app but I have no clue.

Miss the simplicity of WP and how my contacts would appear automatically when I changed phones...

Actually, it should be that simple. In the settings you can manage your accounts and if you select Outlook.com, you should see that it syncs both the contacts and the calendar. At the contacts page, you should be able to select the sources of the displayed contacts (by tapping somewhere at the top left) and there Outlook.com should be activated as well.

MarkusRJR

Actually, it should be that simple. In the settings you can manage your accounts and if you select Outlook.com, you should see that it syncs both the contacts and the calendar. At the contacts page, you should be able to select the sources of the displayed contacts (by tapping somewhere at the top left) and there Outlook.com should be activated as well.
Yeah... That definitely is not the case. I'm using the Outlook android app and it doesn't create an entry in the "accounts" section in the Android settings menu. The People app on android doesn't have any options to check it either. Should I not be using the Outlook app and instead the default android email app?

Klocker

Can you use an outlook email account in outlook on iPhone and have it sync, live, as items arrive, and not on a time schedule? Also sync calendar and contacts live?
Thanks

hadareud

The Translator
Windows 10 will support screen sizes from 3 inches all the way up to 7.99 inches, which may be an indicator that we'll be seeing a few Windows Phone phablets later this year. Resolution-wise, Windows 10 will support beyond-FHD displays, with QSXGA (2560 x 2048), WXQGA (2560 x 1600) and QWXGA (2048 x 1140) listed, suggesting we may also see Windows Phones with higher resolutions displays in 2015.

The hardware requirements mention that for QSXGA displays, memory of 4GB or greater is required, while 3GB (or more) is quoted for WXQGA and QWXGA. For full-HD displays, 2GB RAM is mentioned as mandatory, with 720p, qHD (960 x 540), WXGA (1366 x 768) and WSVGA (1024 x 600) displays need to feature at least 1GB RAM. For lower-resolutions such as WVGA (800 x 480) and FWVGA (854 x 480), 512MB is the minimum amount of RAM needed.

Microsoft has also announced support for several new SoCs with Windows 10, including Qualcomm's high-end Snapdragon 810, which offers an octa-core CPU paired with an Adreno 430 GPU and LTE Category 9 connectivity. Also included are the hexa-core Snapdragon 808, the Snapdragon 615, the Snapdragon 210 and Snapdragon 208 (a 3G-only version of the 210).

New hardware from Intel include the 14nm Cherry Trail-based Atom processors, as well as the upcoming Skylake architecture for desktops. The entry-level Atom x3 — which was announced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona last month — will also be compatible with Windows 10. AMD's processor additions are in the form of the Carrizo and Carrizo-L, which are aimed at desktops and notebooks respectively.

http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...e-requirements-windows-10-phones-and-desktops

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

He likely has the new outlook app, the good one that MS bought recently and converted. Outlook.com is the old, crappy app. The new one still doesn't have contacts sync.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm legit interested about biometrics. Fujitsu's iris scanning tech is amazing in person, but Huawei's fingerprint used in the Ascend Mate 7 is also damn good and nicer to use than Samsung's in my experience. I think Microsoft could do good there if it really wants to cater the enterprise business.

hadareud

The Translator
There shouldn't be any 512MB phones at all. It's fucking 2015, my bloody Nexus One from FIVE YEARS AGO had 512MB RAM.

So you would exclude the vast majority of WP devices from getting W10? These are the minimum requirements, why on earth wouldn't they support it.

My HTC Desire HD from five years ago had 768MB of RAM. It ran like shit, incidentally.

kharma45

Support existing devices yet but mandate that going forward any device should have a min. of 1GB of RAM.

512MB really doesn't cut it now, no matter how well optimised WP is.

hadareud

The Translator
Never gonna happen considering they see the low end as their biggest chance and since they are desperate to make inroads in China and India etc.

I don't expect the next generation 5xx to have 512MB of RAM, but I do expect that the next 4xx will do. And I wouldn't be surprised in the least if there was a 3xx series too.

And as far as I can tell, Android L doesn't require more than 512MB either, depending on the resolution.

hadareud

The Translator
Yeah, but then there's always the 340 ;)

They'll get to a point soon, where they'll have a model that is as cheap as a feature phone off contract.

Nero3000

ooo Xiomi Mi 4 with W10P....interesting.

Also i hope the 435 comes out soon in the UK for dirt cheap, i need a lay over phone whilst i send my 930 for repair.

EDIT: nvm, its out. £50...hmmm

kharma45

ooo Xiomi Mi 4 with W10P....interesting.

Also i hope the 435 comes out soon in the UK for dirt cheap, i need a lay over phone whilst i send my 930 for repair.

EDIT: nvm, its out. £50...hmmm

£30 on PAYG upgrade with CPW if you know anyone with an active PAYG SIM.

Guys, the flagship is here:

microsoft-lumia-story-super-affordable-tease.png

Guys...

Could this be huge?

http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ows-android-smartphones-run-windows-10-phones

At least there will be no need to wait for a Ms flagship device

Whilst I agree this looks to be a good move, surely MS should be concentrating on getting their own devices working with Win10 1st?

There hasn't been a new build since the initial release on those select handsets. I'm still waiting for this 'partition stitching' issue to be resolved so I can test on my 930

Whilst I agree this looks to be a good move, surely MS should be concentrating on getting their own devices working with Win10 1st?

There hasn't been a new build since the initial release on those select handsets. I'm still waiting for this 'partition stitching' issue to be resolved so I can test on my 930

That seems more of an issue with win10 itself, apparently the current builds are in such completely bugged state they aren't proper for testing.. Even on desktop the last build came about 2 months ago...

But yeah, I would love for the test process to go faster XD

Vyer

Can you use an outlook email account in outlook on iPhone and have it sync, live, as items arrive, and not on a time schedule? Also sync calendar and contacts live?
Thanks

Yes on email and contacts. Not sure on calendar as I don't use it.

I just want to test W10 on my HTC One. I ended up buying an iPhone 6 when the bank apps were announced as getting pulled, but I kept my HTC One since I wanna play with W10 and I can just swap SIMs. I think they really need to amp up their preview build releases on both desktop and mobile, especially after they distinctly said they were too slow in the past and needed to go faster.

I was honestly asking myself just the other day why Microsoft hadn't released a software tool set which just rooted android phones and flashed them with Windows Phone. If they are actually doing that, that would be amazing.

haha, that is not nearly as easy as you intimate.

derFeef

I was honestly asking myself just the other day why Microsoft hadn't released a software tool set which just rooted android phones and flashed them with Windows Phone. If they are actually doing that, that would be amazing.

Or on the PS4, must be as easy.

sorry, should not sound that snarky, heh

haha, that is not nearly as easy as you intimate.
Oh I'm certain that its harder than just "Flash and install". But if you could get it working, even if it only supported a limited number of devices it could still be used as a method of getting people to try out the OS on an old device... especially if you could get it to a point where its just "point and click"... or at least something that enthusiasts could do after a short tutorial

Edit:
It doesn't look that bad. Definitely a path for those willing to try it out

Top Bottom