• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

hadareud

The Translator
Time to buy a Windows Phone Blameister.

It's the only thing that can redeem you from your evil Bayern ways. And supporting Vettel and generally everything else that is evil/German.

frontieruk

It is also an unofficial Android thread.

Speaking of which the IE crashing all the time bug in wp10 had won out and forced me back to android, so I replaced Sense with Cyanogenmod lollipop on my M7.

Its smoother but the gesture keyboard doesn't work other than that it's nice.

clav

SO what the fuck, cortana for iOS and android? MS is looking to slowly drop Windows Phone arent they?!

Windows Phone will probably go to x86 at this rate, so I don't expect anything different until such a phone is produced (i.e. it will be a while or it will never happen).

RT is dead which is based on ARM, and all the Windows Phones out are on ARM. I suppose now is to use ARM as an affordable way to access Microsoft's essential/core services while researching that perfect combination later. Until then, offer Microsoft's services on every device, so that everyone out there can access them.

A decent business plan is to play with strengths. Everyone knows Microsoft's strengths are two arms: left arm for x86 backwards compatibility and right arm for cloud power (i.e. Azure).

Milchjon

multitasking.jpg

Did people really not see the X or what?

Cause this looks much worse :-/

God dammit.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

It truly is amazing in person. You only need to hold the phone and look at it and it will read your iris in less than a second. It feels a bit awkward at first since you need to hold it a bit high in order to check your eyes, but once you've got the gesture right it comes out naturally. It only took me a couple of tries and I was fully set.

Those fancy, iris scanners in the movies with a slow beam-thing checking your eyes by going up and down? Those are shit, my friend. This is the real deal.

maeh2k

Did people really not see the X or what?

Cause this looks much worse :-/

God dammit.

Could have been worse:

Edit: I don't actually mind them moving the button out of the picture. I think it could look a bit better, though. They've already dropped the round icon for the all apps button. Might as well lose it here. Maybe make it resemble the Windows 10 window bar more. Or just have it say "close".

Milchjon

It truly is amazing in person. You only need to hold the phone and look at it and it will read your iris in less than a second. It feels a bit awkward at first since you need to hold it a bit high in order to check your eyes, but once you've got the gesture right it comes out naturally. It only took me a couple of tries and I was fully set.

Those fancy, iris scanners in the movies with a slow beam-thing checking your eyes by going up and down? Those are shit, my friend. This is the real deal.

How do they react to hi res iris photographs? What exactly is the tech like?

Could have been worse:

Edit: I don't actually mind them moving the button out of the picture. I think it could look a bit better, though. They've already dropped the round icon for the all apps button. Might as well lose it here. Maybe make it resemble the Windows 10 window bar more. Or just have it say "close".

Dammit!

JaggedSac

I think irises are more unique than fingerprints as well. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to spoof.

But in the end, they should have both at the same time. Multiple biometrics at once would be a good idea.

Paganmoon

I think irises are more unique than fingerprints as well. It will be interesting to see how easy it is to spoof.

But in the end, they should have both at the same time. Multiple biometrics at once would be a good idea.

Now, thieves will not only cut your fingers off, they'll gouge your eyes out as well.

n64coder

I think you need to make the USB cable be charging only with an adapter like this.

My wife's 830 has this issue and I bought a couple of these adapters to fix the issue. They arrived at my office on Friday so I expect to get them tomorrow and confirm that the slow charging problem is fixed. Plus these will help the Garmin GPS which tend to go into USB mode when you don't use a charging cable.

I can confirm that this device does help with the 830 avoiding the "slow USB charging" message. It does not help with the Garmin GPS which still tries to go into computer transfer mode.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Final Denim firmware finally appeared for my Rogers 830 of the Lumia restore tool, so I flashed my phone, which was running 10. I forgot how smooth my phone was before. Nice to have it back to this state. Even though I will likely be tempted to put 10 on next build.

kazinova

Does anyone know what I have to punch into the Nokia Care Suite to flash a different image to my 635? I can't seem to figure out the model ID.

Anyone have more experience with the suite?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
How do they react to hi res iris photographs? What exactly is the tech like?
No idea about the photographs.

The tech is basically a somewhat bulky IR LED + front camera combo sitting atop the phone. The LED flashes you an invisible IR light and the camera (can't remember its res, but it wasn't something particularly high) checks your iris. It was all really fast, but registering a new profile and unlocking the phone and some private apps. All the iris data is stored in a "secure part of the phone" to avoid hacking, whatever that means.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
All of this Nintendo going mobile gaming news. They are only developing for IOS and Droid. So there's that.

MS Band is out in the UK on April 12th.

Needs to do more & look better for me.

I've had one since launch. I think for the price you can do better, but I can't say I'm unhappy with mine. I definitely agree that there needs to be more functionality added, but they did just open up development so I imagine we will see some stuff soon.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
good? Bad?

Horrifying.

Morgan Stanley in a note on Monday said that BlackBerry Ltd BBRY 0.1% sales of its software and phones are "not tracking anywhere close" to where they need to be.

Shares recently traded at $9.73, down 0.87 percent.

Based on research and conversations, Morgan Stanley said that VARs and resellers are finding BlackBerry is a tough sell, even for enterprise customers. On the phone, Morgan Stanley said that as many as 8,000 Classic and Passport phones have been sold, "well below" the 2-3 million needed in FY16.

Keep in mind that the Classic and Passport were kind of hailed as BB's saviours in the hardware space. They ded.

Edit: hadareud with the killsteal.

Soo.... People Hub has decided to show not only every post by every Facebook friend I have (which is what I want actually) but also every post every single one of my Facebook friends "likes." Which means, thanks to a classmate from elementary school, that every night around midnight my People Hub is full of buff mostly naked guys. Bug or feature?
(also why do gay black guys all have nicknames on Facebook?)

JaggedSac

Soo.... People Hub has decided to show not only every post by every Facebook friend I have (which is what I want actually) but also every post every single one of my Facebook friends "likes." Which means, thanks to a classmate from elementary school, that every night around midnight my People Hub is full of buff mostly naked guys. Bug or feature?

Yep, noticed this a couple weeks ago. Really shits up the feed.

BlackBerry's ship has sailed. They'll have their niche market but to get enterprises to "switch back" will be a very tough sell. At this point their hardware is different enough from iOS/Android to stand out, so they should probably pour their resources into keeping what customers they have.

joshschw

I don't even know where we can complain, I posted about it on Windowscentral forum, but no one really responded in the thread.
It's ridiculous. I see tons of things in my People Hub that I can not even FIND anywhere else, in the app or website on desktop.

Btw, wait till you have a friend who Like's every birthday post on his page! Fun times.

ElNino

The news in Canada still makes it seem Blackberry is great.
Well, my company still only supports BlackBerry as the official enterprise phone and I just had my 9700 upgraded to the Classic. It's a pretty nice device to use for on-call support, but it is surprisingly heavy. Luckily, I've used a 920 before so I was prepared. ;-)

My company is down to like one or two Blackberry holdovers. Not having to use BES will be nice, although it has gotten better over the years.

Top Bottom