• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

maeh2k

Guys...

Could this be huge?

http://www.windowscentral.com/micro...ows-android-smartphones-run-windows-10-phones

At least there will be no need to wait for a Ms flagship device

Nope, not huge. Installing custom ROMs isn't something your average user can do. Even if there was no problem with firmware and drivers, the impact of such an effort would be negligible. Actually, even if at the time of purchase the customers could freely choose between the default OS and another choice, they'd still all go with the default, because it's the default, and they don't know/care enough to make up their own mind.

The only impact such a program would have is, that enthusiasts could go out and buy some high-end Android phone to use Windows on. That would be convenient, since no one is making high-end Windows Phones.

That would be convenient, since no one is making high-end Windows Phones.

That's pretty much all I see coming of this.

If given the option to install Android or Windows Phone 8 on boot, I think most people would go "huh, there's a Windows for my phone?" Microsoft has done an awful job marketing the platform and never highlight specifically what makes it better or why you would want to use it.

Care to share why?

Here's the HTC One M9 with the SD810 during a benchmark.

1ER2sAw.jpg

This thing needs to be throttled heavily. The G Flex 2 has one as well and the performance is pretty bad.

joshschw

Here's the HTC One M9 with the SD810 during a benchmark.

1ER2sAw.jpg

This thing needs to be throttled heavily. The G Flex 2 has one as well and the performance is pretty bad.

As people have been saying for years, it's all about the higher product model number. performance be damned.

Was pretty excited when I saw that, but bummed out that iOS/Android doesn't support it yet since I'm on an iPhone ATM. Gonna try it out on my HTC One when I get home.

José Mourinho;156459040 said:
Because it's supposedly due out in a few months and there's no new preview builds to be seen and what we have already doesn't feel close to complete yet.

This situation feels very similar. Windows Phone 8?

hadareud

The Translator
José Mourinho;156459040 said:
Because it's supposedly due out in a few months and there's no new preview builds to be seen and what we have already doesn't feel close to complete yet.

They just pushed a new build for PC an hour ago.

Wouldn't be surprised if we saw a new phone build tomorrow or on Monday.

Three or four months is a long time in development when you have teams as large as they do. Also, the times of shipping products that are updated once or twice a year are gone.

This situation feels very similar. Windows Phone 8?

No, not really.

MCD

you know, it seems as if windows phone limitations had all to do with it being...derp, a phone OS.

Now that the phone dept. is merged or let's say, failed to do any marketshare, desktop OS is basically doing all the work.

I am excited as long as my phone stay stable.

Nope, not huge. Installing custom ROMs isn't something your average user can do. Even if there was no problem with firmware and drivers, the impact of such an effort would be negligible. Actually, even if at the time of purchase the customers could freely choose between the default OS and another choice, they'd still all go with the default, because it's the default, and they don't know/care enough to make up their own mind.

The only impact such a program would have is, that enthusiasts could go out and buy some high-end Android phone to use Windows on. That would be convenient, since no one is making high-end Windows Phones.

Agree on your points, but if Ms goes to OEMs with this (meaning MS doing all the work to for them to develop drivers and ensure compability with their phones) they could convince manufacturers who otherwise wouldn't build a windows phone to release on to the market. Who knows, even at the same time as their Android counterparts hit the market.

Still can't get W10 removed from my phone and now I fucking hate it.

Latest attempt: did a hard reset of the phone (just to start fresh), then tried the Lumia Recovery Tool. Got an error, looked up the error, which seemed to be tied to firewall/security interference. Recommended fix was to startup in a "no startup programs/no Windows service" mode, which I did, but still doesn't work. Tried the MW recovery tool as well--it also doesn't work, but for a different reason.

This past weekend, my phone stopped charging and I thought it was a problem with the phone's port--I got excited that maybe I could sneakily replace it. Nope--just a problem with that charger. FUCK.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Still can't get W10 removed from my phone and now I fucking hate it.

Latest attempt: did a hard reset of the phone (just to start fresh), then tried the Lumia Recovery Tool. Got an error, looked up the error, which seemed to be tied to firewall/security interference. Recommended fix was to startup in a "no startup programs/no Windows service" mode, which I did, but still doesn't work. Tried the MW recovery tool as well--it also doesn't work, but for a different reason.

This past weekend, my phone stopped charging and I thought it was a problem with the phone's port--I got excited that maybe I could sneakily replace it. Nope--just a problem with that charger. FUCK.

Crazy that you are having such issues. I had no problem with the recovery tool rolling back to 8.1 on my 830. I was also using W10 as the PC.

hwalker84

OneDrive music integration is fantastic. They still need ways to actually fix the metadata. I meticulously did the metadata for all my music then it shows up in Xbox music missing all sorts of information. I don't understand.

OneDrive music integration is fantastic. They still need ways to actually fix the metadata. I meticulously did the metadata for all my music then it shows up in Xbox music missing all sorts of information. I don't understand.
It's garbage. Has been one of my longest running complaints. I didn't use my phone for music all that often anyway but due to the constant messing up of metadata I just never bothered to put any music on the phone after my last reset.

Using the W10 beta on my 635. A positive is the new keyboard. Finally voice to text and it works better than android IMO. The voice to text has yet to misquote me, even with my stereo volume up in my car.

Top Bottom