• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Dilly

Banned
My Messenger app icon becomes less darker and inaccessible on my home screen for no apparent reason.

I can't open it either, this has happened numerous times already. Any idea what's causing it?

kharma45

My Messenger app icon becomes less darker and inaccessible on my home screen for no apparent reason.

I can't open it either, this has happened numerous times already. Any idea what's causing it?

Happens me occasionally, with apps that are on the SD card. Something to do with that I'm presuming.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You know, the new Lumia 430 looks surprisingly solid for a $70* device. It even has 1GB of RAM and a front camera on top of a 128GB compatible slot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I just fucked my 920. Was going to sell it/trade it in, but there was a sim card adapter in the tray which got stuck and after much finagling I got it out, but now it won't recognise SIM cards so I assume I knackered the pins inside. Is it repairable cheaply, or just write it off?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think I just fucked my 920. Was going to sell it/trade it in, but there was a sim card adapter in the tray which got stuck and after much finagling I got it out, but now it won't recognise SIM cards so I assume I knackered the pins inside. Is it repairable cheaply, or just write it off?

I ran into the same problem due to switching phones and cards far too often while using a cheapass nanoSIM adaptor. Costed me a €30 repair, IIRC.

kharma45

Twice the storage, largely the same specs. I see no reason for the 435 to exist other than making Microsoft's range even more confusing than it is.

Edit: Shit, double post.

Storage is the same on both, 8GB plus MicroSD. 435 can also be dual sim too.

Really the only difference is the design, the 430 being slightly lighter and having a 60 mAh smaller battery.

kazinova

Man, the W10TP2 on PC is AMAZEBALLS. Hopefully the next TP for phones is significantly better.

The UI is really coming together on desktop. Also, virtual desktops are well implemented. It's a missing feature that makes the SP3 so much better.

I'm really sad they didn't skew more towards the PC version of windows in the phone preview. I want to swipe in from the sides and be able to snap two apps next to each other. Oh well.

Milchjon

435 is prettier, and it's for different markets, it seems. Oh well, gotta keep your designers busy, I guess.

Also, I hope there's someone at Nokia/MS who is in charge of naming the devices. If so, I want his job. "Ah, just stick a 5 somewhere. Oh, time for lunch already!"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
435 is prettier, and it's for different markets, it seems. Oh well, gotta keep your designers busy, I guess.

Also, I hope there's someone at Nokia/MS who is in charge of naming the devices. If so, I want his job. "Ah, just stick a 5 somewhere. Oh, time for lunch already!"

Remember when Elop said that they wanted to simplify their naming scheme?

Good times.

I feel Microsoft should really put focus on windows phone gaining in enterprise environments.

make some deals through dell/hp for windows phones to be included or something.

Also built in Office Communicator. oh that would be useful for me.

n64coder

All the music I had on OneDrive has filtered through to the Music phone app automatically just now, awesome :D

I pushed a bunch of my albums on and most of them were recognized without issues. 3-4 must have wrong metadata for some reason.

OneDrive music integration is fantastic. They still need ways to actually fix the metadata. I meticulously did the metadata for all my music then it shows up in Xbox music missing all sorts of information. I don't understand.

Is there a recommended tool for fixing the metadata to be compatible with Xbox music? I had similar issues with ITunes before.

n64coder

I pushed a bunch of my albums on and most of them were recognized without issues. 3-4 must have wrong metadata for some reason.

I just looked again and it seems that those albums got fixed automatically overnight. So there are no issues with my collection. Everything imported fine.

Anybody on the desktop 10 preview know how to remove groups from the start menu? I have three empty ones I can't get rid of. I suspect I'm being stupid but I can't see an obvious means of getting rid of them.

Edit: properties and clearing personal info from tiles done it.

José Mourinho;156649783 said:
Anybody on the desktop 10 preview know how to remove groups from the start menu? I have three empty ones I can't get rid of. I suspect I'm being stupid but I can't see an obvious means of getting rid of them.

I haven't been able to figure that out either.

Blackhead

Redarse
Windows Phone (A guide for iPhone users)
Matt Gemmell said:
This isn’t a review, or even a comparison. You can think of it as a sort of traveller’s guide for iPhone users, who find themselves in the land of Windows Phone. It’s also about the platform itself, rather than any specific handset.

I’d like to thank Microsoft for noticing that I was interested in their mobile platform, and sending me a device to play with...

Windows Phone is a compelling and surprisingly mature mobile platform. Its aesthetics are bold and information-focused, and it has all the functionality that a truly modern mobile OS needs. I’m very comfortable when taking a Windows Phone device out with me instead of an iPhone.

There are little differences that require some mental adjustment, and there are some rough edges. There are idiosyncrasies, as with anything - but on the whole, I really could switch full-time. I didn’t expect to be able to say that...

Too bad Microsoft might strip away most of the good differentiating aesthetics away in Windows 10. *ugh*

Metro leaked that the 640 will be released in May and priced at low $99. Amazon and MS Store sale prices will be lower than that. Great value for all those features.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty happy to have Denim on the 830 finally. The camera is pretty great, however in the future it will be nice to have a fun with more grunt so when I take a rich capture photo it will process quicker.

Rehynn

I'm not sure if it's OK to ask a Surface Pro 3 related question here, but since there is no OT for that device, and the announcement thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, I'll just try this thread.

me in another thread said:
So, my i5 SP3 should arrive sometime next week, and I need some advice. At work, I have a monitor and a keyboard + mouse that I can use with the SP3, so I think I'm all set.
At home, however, I don't really have a desk to builda desktop setup on (I have a very small apartment), but I do have a 42" Samsung LED TV. Would it make sense to use it as an external display for the SP3? It would definitely be super comfortable, I'm just wondering if there might be some issues that I'm not aware of.

I'm not sure if it's OK to ask a Surface Pro 3 related question here, but since there is no OT for that device, and the announcement thread doesn't get a lot of traffic, I'll just try this thread.

I mean, if it's comfortable to you then go for it. The only thing I can think of is there *might* be a little fuckery with getting the specific cable you get to pass audio through, but there really shouldn't be a problem.

Rehynn

I mean, if it's comfortable to you then go for it. The only thing I can think of is there *might* be a little fuckery with getting the specific cable you get to pass audio through, but there really shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. The DisplayPort also supports audio, so hopefully no fuckery will be necessary at all.

hadareud

The Translator
You can also use a miracast adapter on your TV. Works reasonably well.

Don't buy the Netgear one though. I have it and it's a bit poo.

VLiberty

Hi guys!
As part of a promotion, since my sister bought a Lumia 535, we're getting a free 435 and I'm gonna get it to replace my current phone. I know it's not a top device, but heck it can't possibly be worse than my current LG L3, which, while is phisically rock-solid, software wise is shit.

I've been out of the mobile gaming world for a while(I have an old iPod touch 4 which has serious compatibility issues with a lot of recent games, either because of performances or because it doesn't support iOS7 and most of the new apps and games require iOS7) and I wondered if/how further the 435 can go gaming-wise than my iPod 4...also, is there a guide to general Windows Phone gaming?

Top Bottom