• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kharma45

Hi guys!
As part of a promotion, since my sister bought a Lumia 535, we're getting a free 435 and I'm gonna get it to replace my current phone. I know it's not a top device, but heck it can't possibly be worse than my current LG L3, which, while is phisically rock-solid, software wise is shit.

I've been out of the mobile gaming world for a while(I have an old iPod touch 4 which has serious compatibility issues with a lot of recent games, either because of performances or because it doesn't support iOS7 and most of the new apps and games require iOS7) and I wondered if/how further the 435 can go gaming-wise than my iPod 4...also, is there a guide to general Windows Phone gaming?

Not the most active thread in the world but there is this

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=527898

Talon

Apparently Win10 for Raspberry Pi will be called "Windows 10 IoT for Small Devices"

MS gonna MS
Microsoft's Naming Workflow:
1. Are there obvious names for this thing?
2. Burn it with fire.
3. Stick "Windows" in there.
4. Stick four more words in there.
5. Let's talking about pricing.

Whenever I see a not so great name for a new Microsoft product, I always think back to Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2 and think "ah, it could be worse".

The name is confusing because they are kinda having a Winrt 2.0 moment.

There will be 3 SKUs of windows IoT, one for x86 devices, which can use universal apps, alongside desktop and win32 applications. One for arms that is capable of running only universal apps, and another one for displayless devices, which will also only run universal apps.

I believe they are all free, the version for devices with no display is for sure, but not 100% sure on the rest.

Milchjon

532 is cute and all but damn, that screen.

Wish it was insanely cheap over here as well, because for 100€, not sure I'd want it.

Prez

The extra RAM is nice but it's not going to blow you away. Better off imo with a used 1520/930 is cash is tight.

It's not just extra RAM but also front camera which my 630 doesn't have and bigger, higher-res screen. I'll wait for reviews and if the build quality is as good I might consider it, even though I only have my 630 since August...

kharma45

José Mourinho;157137526 said:
I ordered one earlier. I'll be picking up an XPS 13 next week but this will do for just tossing about online and save me draining my phone battery

I'm tempted to get my Dad one for his birthday just so he leaves mum's iPad alone. Any time I pop home and she's not around he's on it :lol

I just worry about it getting sluggish with such little RAM.

It's not just extra RAM but also front camera which my 630 doesn't have and bigger, higher-res screen. I'll wait for reviews and if the build quality is as good I might consider it, even though I only have my 630 since August...

Forgot about the FFC. The screen isn't that bad on the 630 imo but 720p is a nice bump.

I'm tempted to get my Dad one for his birthday just so he leaves mum's iPad alone. Any time I pop home and she's not around he's on it :lol

I just worry about it getting sluggish with such little RAM.

Forgot about the FFC. The screen isn't that bad on the 630 imo but 720p is a nice bump.
I certainly wouldn't want it as a main device, not that I've used one yet, but I can imagine how it will be. I have a good PC and a good ultrabook on the the way. My phone has everything else covered normally, but I'd rather have something a bit bigger and the Stream 7 will do that job.

Tablo

It's going to seem pretty stupid when companies refuse to make up to date apps for Windows 10, considering one app would cover all the Windows userbase across all devices...

It's going to seem pretty stupid when companies refuse to make up to date apps for Windows 10, considering one app would cover all the Windows userbase across all devices...

I don't think Instagram really cares about that. They don't have tablet apps on any platform.

Universal apps will be branded as "Windows apps" and legacy applications for desktop will be referred to as "Windows desktop applications"

Windows 10 developer tooling preview now available to Windows Insiders
...Holy Fuck there is alot of great API gems in here. Quite a few I have been hoping/asking for.

Now I just need confirmation that they are bringing back the Lockscreen Contract and I can merge a couple of the apps I had to split off functionality on to support Universal Apps back into one... Also making the two versions of Peer finder compatible with each other without having to jump through hell.

Klocker

Man if windows 10 doesn't signal a new beginning to apps and a shitload of returning apps (BofA, Chase etc) then After how many years since windows 7 launch?... , I'll finally give up and go iPhone

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I been using Office Lens lately, what a great app! I have had to make notes for an exam and it is great for getting tables and graphs and sending to OneNote. Love how it formats and crops the images.

hwalker84

So why does the phone use here maps data but Bing.com uses something completely different?
I ask because I i pull out my surface I can use the maps to navigate here in Japan but my phone is useless...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is getting to Crackberry territory levels.

"Instagram has launched a new feature for everyone, except us. They've abandoned us. But it's okay, here's an ad for a third party client!"

http://www.windowscentral.com/insta...one-else-after-year-abandonment-windows-phone

I'm getting kinda angry at the Instagram situation, tbh. I prefer the official beta to Rudy's app, but for some reason the son of a bitch refuses to save my notification settings, which means I get loud "likes" and friendly rings at any given time.

Milchjon

The Instagram beta is giving me notifications, but when I click on them, it says I'm logged out.

Marvelous engineering.

Edit: The ability to adjust filter strength alone makes 6tag worth it

derFeef

So I have had this problem before but can't remember what fixed it. Some contacts birthdays are not showing on the calendar. Syncing, renabling, disabling etc. - nothing worked so far.

I'm about to buy a new phone next month and I'm looking at the Lumia 640 as I don't want to spend too much.

Is it safe to bet on Windows Phone? I'm actually "afraid" that WP might be completely ignored in the future.

n64coder

Is it safe to bet on Windows Phone? I'm actually "afraid" that WP might be completely ignored in the future.

Do you use apps a lot on your current phone? If so, what are your key apps?

My primary use of the phone is for email/phone/text/web/camera and it does the job great. I use a few other apps (MSN News, Wordament, Authenticator, Xbox music, OneNote) but for me, it's primarily email/phone/text/web/camera.

So I think it will continue to be safe to buy a WP.

Do you use apps a lot on your current phone? If so, what are your key apps?

My primary use of the phone is for email/phone/text/web/camera and it does the job great. I use a few other apps (MSN News, Wordament, Authenticator, Xbox music, OneNote) but for me, it's primarily email/phone/text/web/camera.

So I think it will continue to be safe to buy a WP.
Instagram, Facebook, Mail, all the MS apps such as Office, Xbox music and Skype and some games (I'm really looking forward to Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike). Oh and I use the camera for some pictures.

I've heard 6tag is actually much better than Instagram. How's the situation with Facebook on WP?

Instagram, Facebook, Mail, all the MS apps such as Office, Xbox music and Skype and some games (I'm really looking forward to Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike). Oh and I use the camera for some pictures.

I've heard 6tag is actually much better than Instagram. How's the situation with Facebook on WP?

Terrible. The app hide posts from me that appear everywhere else. There's no timeline review and some other features that are available on other platforms... You can't even manage your feed from within the feed posts (like unfollowing someone).

Top Bottom