• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Terrible. The app hide posts from me that appear everywhere else. There's no timeline review and some other features that are available on other platforms... You can't even manage your feed from within the feed posts (like unfollowing someone).
Really that bad? Wow. I hope this gets better with W10.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
:(

Now I don't know if I should buy a WP or Android phone.

It's a sad truth, but If you use a lot of social media, don't get a WP. The apps for existing channels are OK to terrible (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter), and new ones peak before they even get a WP version (Snapchat).

If you REALLY care about it then dont get an Android device either, but it's still better being a 2nd class citizen than a 3rd class one.

It is really sad because the original WP idea of having generic social media contracts that allowed all the apps to populate 1 feed on your phone was amazing, unfortunately I suppose it was never going to fly because they can't advertise to you if you never open the application.

It's a sad truth, but If you use a lot of social media, don't get a WP. The apps for existing channels are OK to terrible (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter), and new ones peak before they even get a WP version (Snapchat).

If you REALLY care about it then dont get an Android device either, but it's still better being a 2nd class citizen than a 3rd class one.

It is really sad because the original WP idea of having generic social media contracts that allowed all the apps to populate 1 feed on your phone was amazing, unfortunately I suppose it was never going to fly because they can't advertise to you if you never open the application.
It's a shame because WP is really beautiful and fast. Android and iOS aren't bad but they're the same old thing. I would buy an iPhone if I had the money.

Androids in the same range as the Lumia 640 are possibly not as good. But the app problems really bothers me.

I've been on the Windows Phone train since before Windows Phone even existed (Zune HD). I haven't been that happy with the direction the platform has been going for awhile, and with Nintendo's announcement that they will be making smartphone games, that all but confirms that I'll be hopping to another ecosystem. I sincerely don't expect them to develop for WP. I'm kind of sad because I'm very hopeful for WP10, but I am just that big of a Nintendo fan. I wish Apple would just release a new iPod Touch...

I'm really hopping that Win10 improves things, I'm not expecting that overnight everything will be perfect, but if I don't see some trend of things getting better right away I will probably switch too...

Until now there was always something holding back, something to wait for, but not with Win10. We will be finally at the point where there's a solid development platform with no further resets in sight, a unfied platform for phones and tablets (and even desktops and xbox)... We will finally get to a point where the combined userbase can potentially lead to many users...

Now it's really up to Ms in both getting developers to support the platform and getting users on board and purchasing/consuming content.

Edit: It was also kinda sad how Ms made so easy to switch to other platforms, where the others made increasingly hard to leave their ecosystem... I switched from iOs (both iPhone and iPad), mostly because there was no solution for Onenote, there was a 3rd party application, but it was buggy and slow. There was some other stuff and limitations that annoyed me as well, but the breaking point was onenote. Nowadays with the onedrive app, office, smartglass and onenote I would still get the same if not better experience I have now with WP... Granted, neither Android or ios hold a candle against the start screen and live tiles, imo, but the core services are there already...

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't care much for mobile games, so WP is the platform for me. Besides eating battery they generally don't provide an experience I want.

ElNino

I don't care much for mobile games, so WP is the platform for me. Besides eating battery they generally don't provide an experience I want.
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I have more games on my 1020 than I could every really play, and for when I really want to game on-the-go I have my Vita.

Sure, my kids love that they can have tons of games on their iPods and iPads, but I need to delete a couple of games every week just to keep up with what they are downloading. It is very much a flavour of the week type mentality.

kazinova

I'd be interested in a new W10TPforPhones anytime today or tomorrow. I can't run the current build as my daily since I can't adjust the MMS settings. I'd love to test it more and provide valuable customer feedback.

Nero3000

Lee is a waiter (who in the US is probably making less than minimum wage).

Lets suggest he buys either a $700 watch, $1,000 watch or a $1,100 watch that will be probably outclassed in 2 years.

F7EvHp9.png

#noshame

Yeah, I've been going around looking for a decent android phone and there's simply none that I really like (they're all so ugly). The only ones I like are the Sony one's but they simply suck at support. No Lollipop for phones below the Z line? Well, fuck you too.

I guess I'm going to buy the Lumia 640 afterall.

Ape

Banned
I think this would be a good question for Last Flowers if he can answer it,

exactly how close to desktop Windows 10 is the Phone version of Windows 10?

Yeah, I've been going around looking for a decent android phone and there's simply none that I really like (they're all so ugly). The only ones I like are the Sony one's but they simply suck at support. No Lollipop for phones below the Z line? Well, fuck you too.

I guess I'm going to buy the Lumia 640 afterall.

I'm thinking about getting the mid-range Xperia M4 Aqua: 5", 720p, camera button, waterproof. Looks similar to the Z line except the back is plastic instead of glass.

But yes outside of their flagship Sony is really slow with updates.

I'm thinking about getting the mid-range Xperia M4 Aqua: 5", 720p, camera button, waterproof. Looks similar to the Z line except the back is plastic instead of glass.

But yes outside of their flagship Sony is really slow with updates.
I've been looking at that one too but it might be priced somewhere between 250-300€. That's a bit too much :/

Yeah I'm in Canada with a low exchange rate against the US dollar so it might be $450-500, in which case I might as well get an 830 instead.
It's a great phone, no doubt about it.

I just went to the Windows Phone store and... not even Tumblr? WP is really getting forgotten and I thought some people were exaggerating when they said it.

derFeef

Any news regarding the Pebble support for WP? I know there was a leaked settings shot a while ago but nothing happened since.

Ape

Banned
How do you define "close"?

Are there any major/minor differences on the OS level? Would it be conceivably possible to link a new Lumia to a larger display and get the full Windows 10 experience? Just trying to get a feel for what restrictions are in place on the phone operating system if any.

derFeef

http://www.windowscentral.com/hacked-pebble-notifications-work-windows-phone

That is the closest there is atm. There have been no news about it. The APPX is not available anymore from there, but you can find it if you search for "pebble.appxbundle"

Only this http://m.windowscentral.com/pebble-microsoft-and-what-could-have-been-windows-phone

TLDR: Don't hold your breath as long as pebbles CEO stays the same... Or while pebble is popular.

I asked them on their Kickstarter page, they said they might support other OSes in the future, but no announcement etc....

dLMN8R

Are there any major/minor differences on the OS level? Would it be conceivably possible to link a new Lumia to a larger display and get the full Windows 10 experience? Just trying to get a feel for what restrictions are in place on the phone operating system if any.

"on the OS level" can mean anything from app platform to UX to features to kernel to drivers to device support and a hundred other things.

What matters is that the universal app platform finally brings together the disparate API set that Phone and Desktop previously had, to make it super easy for developers to do what they previously couldn't.

Anything about other operating system features shared between mobile and desktop will be disclosed at the right time in the right way. But I don't think you'll be running CMD and Notepad on your phone regardless of how big the screen is.

Paganmoon

"on the OS level" can mean anything from app platform to UX to features to kernel to drivers to device support and a hundred other things.

What matters is that the universal app platform finally brings together the disparate API set that Phone and Desktop previously had, to make it super easy for developers to do what they previously couldn't.

Anything about other operating system features shared between mobile and desktop will be disclosed at the right time in the right way. But I don't think you'll be running CMD and Notepad on your phone regardless of how big the screen is.

How about Powershell? :)

link1201

I currently have the Lumia 925 and I am now eligible for an upgrade. When should I expect to see the new crop of WP's? Is there an event when something like that would be announced?

Ape

Banned

Your answer makes me think that you don't really understand what the differences are between the two, but you want to answer my question anyway. I can appreciate that. We can just wait until release or I might pick a different brain on this subject over at a different forum.

Top Bottom