• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Zeknurn

gNM2Y56.png

I'm ditching my Lumia 920 to use the new Surface as a phone.

Nero3000

oh man, just been playing around with my old 800...everything is sooo small.

In other news ive ordered a 435 for back up purposes.

f0lken

I am abandoning you guys temporarily, my 1020 finally stopped working because of one last drop. I got an iPhone 6 cheap, I was thinking to exchange it for a 1520, but as iPhones retain their value high, I think I'd be better waiting for the next WP flagship and then exchange it for that if is a worthy successor of my 1020

hankster

José Mourinho;157478731 said:
Ordered the Stream 7 off the MS store on Monday. It's approaching Thursday and they still haven't processed the order. Unbelievable pace.
I ordered the $200 at&t 830 today and already have a tracking number for delivery tomorrow even though I opted for the free shipping. Coo coo ka choo.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be gutted if the next flagship doesn't come to my carrier.

As an aside, the 640 coming to Canada. Not sure about the XL though.

hwalker84

I am abandoning you guys temporarily, my 1020 finally stopped working because of one last drop. I got an iPhone 6 cheap, I was thinking to exchange it for a 1520, but as iPhones retain their value high, I think I'd be better waiting for the next WP flagship and then exchange it for that if is a worthy successor of my 1020

You'll be enjoying that iPhone for a long time. I have this feeling they're going to fuck up something with the next flagship.

And I ordered it using an OPO (an android phone) <gasp!> #ironical

Don't worry broseph a banks, I'm using a iPhone as my daily driver, and probably going to buy the Galaxy 6 on an upgrade if I can keep my unlimited plan. That being said I'm also using two windows phones on a daily basis, and would have moved back to my 930 as a daily driver had it not been stolen

Tablo

You'll be enjoying that iPhone for a long time. I have this feeling they're going to fuck up something with the next flagship.
Well in a sense we know they already have, the Snapdragon 810 has issues, and I doubt they'll be fixed in time.
It's too power hungry and gets too hot, and I don't want a burning hot phone like all the damn WP8 flagships had to deal with... 920...

frontieruk

Don't worry broseph a banks, I'm using a iPhone as my daily driver, and probably going to buy the Galaxy 6 on an upgrade if I can keep my unlimited plan. That being said I'm also using two windows phones on a daily basis, and would have moved back to my 930 as a daily driver had it not been stolen

Did you walk around the block where it was stolen? You'd of doing it dumped when they found they couldn't get Snapchat on it... They thought it was an iPhone in a coloured case..

hankster

Brocephus - I want to get back on WP as my daily driver. How crazy is that? The 640XL has me pretty excited as an affordable bridge phone to the next flagship that will/better have WP10 with its cavalcade of fab universal apps (right?) and kickass PureView camera with camera button dammit. Then this 830 deal drops out of the blue. A move to make room for the 640s perhaps? I'll wait for a good review / comparison of the 640 XL before deciding the fate of my new 830. Either would be a nice bridge phone for me to get me back in the fold. My android beta test has been enlightening, but I still miss my WP.

hadareud

The Translator
Pretty sure they will considering it now seems likely that they'll keep separate Surface and Surface Pro lines.

Not a bad strategy, considering they'll be able to match certain miracle laptops with their low range tablet.

Nero3000

Yeah seems highly likely they will go Atom or Core M (more likely high end Atom).

I hope a surface mini pops up too. Want to replace my A5 notebook.

Everyone excited about a new surface? I hope its super thin but still retains the pen.

I wonder if they'll ever take the range below the i3 down to say Core M or an Atom.

Yeah seems highly likely they will go Atom or Core M (more likely high end Atom).

I hope a surface mini pops up too. Want to replace my A5 notebook.

Am I crazy for wanting an even lower-end Surface? Keep the pen, but I don't need even an i3. I only need something that I can draw on. And carry with me.

kharma45

Going Atom/Core M would mean a potentially thinner device too, as we'd not need any fans to keep the CPU cool.

hadareud you make a good point about the Surface and Surface Pro lines. Anything Core i could be the Pro line and the fanless models (Core M, Atom) would be regular Surface's. I like that idea.

kharma45

Not bad. Should've launched at that price.

Worth noting Smartfonestore sell nearly new 930s for £180 or so, EE had them for £200 as a refurb and £220 for a Currys open box one.

Should I go for the Lumia 535 or should I wait for the Lumia 640?

Edit: Also, what I'm looking for is to replace my iPhone 5. Not that I don't like iOS, but I've been using it for 5 years now, and would like to try something new! Will I be disapointed?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Should I go for the Lumia 535 or should I wait for the Lumia 640?

Edit: Also, what I'm looking for is to replace my iPhone 5. Not that I don't like iOS, but I've been using it for 5 years now, and would like to try something new! Will I be disapointed?

Why are you replacing a flagship with a low end device? You are bound to be disappointed. It's like replacing your 2 year old $1000 MacBook with a new $230 HP Stream. You will complain that it's just not as nice.

Why are you replacing a flagship with a low end device? You are bound to be disappointed. It's like replacing your 2 year old $1000 MacBook with a new $230 HP Stream. You will complain that it's just not as nice.

Thing is, I see iPhones as flagships not because of the hardware but because of the S.O.

I would take an iPhone 3GS over any Android phone, for example.

But if I want a phone with a bigger screen I had to pay a buttload for the iPhone 6.

Windows Phone looks very nice. Would like to try one but only by replacing my current phone.

Nero3000

Thing is, I see iPhones as flagships not because of the hardware but because of the S.O.

But if I want a phone with a bigger screen I had to pay a buttload for the iPhone 6.

Windows Phone looks very nice. Would like to try one but only by replacing my current phone.

S.O.?

Also, I would say a 735 is a very nice step up in design and screen quality.

Brocephus - I want to get back on WP as my daily driver. How crazy is that? The 640XL has me pretty excited as an affordable bridge phone to the next flagship that will/better have WP10 with its cavalcade of fab universal apps (right?) and kickass PureView camera with camera button dammit. Then this 830 deal drops out of the blue. A move to make room for the 640s perhaps? I'll wait for a good review / comparison of the 640 XL before deciding the fate of my new 830. Either would be a nice bridge phone for me to get me back in the fold. My android beta test has been enlightening, but I still miss my WP.
i was waiting on that 640XL but that 830 deal was too hard to pass up. 830 has a better camera (pureview with OIS), a smaller screen, and qi charging.

f0lken

It all depends on the apps you use, 90% of my app usage is facebook/fb messenger/whatsapp/browser/OneNote/instagram/onedrive so I was covered on WP

It all depends on the apps you use, 90% of my app usage is facebook/fb messenger/whatsapp/browser/OneNote/instagram/onedrive so I was covered on WP

Appwise I don't see that much difference.

Gaming wise, obviously iOS has a LOT more support from Devs.

Right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Hardware matters. You're going on the really low end coming from a flagship phone. OS can only compensate so much and you will have a worse screen, camera, and processor/gpu. If you just want to try out the OS, fine. But as a daily driver, you are downgrading if you go from a ip5 to the lowest end windows phone. And you'll come in here and whine about it. Guaranteed.

I hate it just as much as I hate people who go from a $450 Acer laptop to a $1200 Air and then marvel at how much better the experience is on mac, as if they just did an apples to apples comparison.

Top Bottom