• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

f0lken

Appwise I don't see that much difference.

Gaming wise, obviously iOS has a LOT more support from Devs.

Right?

Right the difference is that iOS is paradise and WP is the Sahara desert. I don't play that much on my phone or tablets (civilization or hearthstone mainly) so for me is irrelevant really but for many peopoe games are a dealbreaker.

And guys, Surface 3 will obviously have pen, MS bought NTrig remember

I need them to do a real Surface Mini, 8", x86,thin and light, fan-less, with a pen.

Do it. If you don't, then I'll be really sad and mad and stuff.

Pooya

I don't think they will enter cheap market ever, margins are already too thin for the OEMs, they don't need competition from Microsoft there.

Milchjon

spartan-browser-phone-screens2.png

The fuck is this shit :-(

Milchjon

I think I dislike the fact that the menu only covers half the screen (looks like a desktop OS now) and that this is another instance of what a mess the Metro/non-Metro button icon design is gonna be even more.

Galaxy 6 is out this week, HTC M9 is out today, yet Microsoft can't take advantage of the traffic the new Galaxy will create by having the 640/640XL on the shelves of carriers stores? I know many Galaxy buyers won't buy a Lumia but you can at least attract the buyers who can't afford the new Galaxy to your platform. Trust me, many will wanna see the S6 Edge in person and ATT will have zero Windows phones on the shelves. Another missed opportunity.

hwalker84

Galaxy 6 is out this week, HTC M9 is out today, yet Microsoft can't take advantage of the traffic the new Galaxy will create by having the 640/640XL on the shelves of carriers stores? I know many Galaxy buyers won't buy a Lumia but you can at least attract the buyers who can't afford the new Galaxy to your platform. Trust me, many will wanna see the S6 Edge in person and ATT will have zero Windows phones on the shelves. Another missed opportunity.

Windows 10 for Phones |OT| Another Missed Opportunity

joshschw

Thank goodness they at least have a worded description for the random icons. I know that's the "hip" thing to do. But I really can not stand going on websites, or phones, and there's just random little icons that I am supposed to deduce off the top of my head what they represent and do. Ridiculous.

Glad Microsoft is keeping the words!!!

That looks... Not nice XD

But it must also be incomplete, the buttons aren't even shown when the menu is hidden.

Though that looks a lot like the new photos app, so it might actually be a near final look.

joshschw

Question time.... I've never been able to figure out an easy way to transfer some full resolution photos off my 1520. Is there any easy, and fast way?

Loading the device via win explorer takes forever to populate, etc...

hankster

Pretty sure AT&T still has fake Denim. I finally got real Denim on my 830 in Canada.
Well a lot has gone right with this new phone. I guess my luck had to end somewhere...

Hmmm... now it just pinged me and said "Welcome to Denim."

Grrr... Lumia Camera said no you don't have real Denim.

And a nano sim? Really???

NeOak

Well a lot has gone right with this new phone. I guess my luck had to end somewhere...

Hmmm... now it just pinged me and said "Welcome to Denim."

Grrr... Lumia Camera said no you don't have real Denim.

And a nano sim? Really???

Well, besides the camera speed, what else? 4K?

I recorded 3 mins at 4K with my 1520 and had to upload that to Youtube. 1.56GB. Painful.

I think I dislike the fact that the menu only covers half the screen (looks like a desktop OS now) and that this is another instance of what a mess the Metro/non-Metro button icon design is gonna be even more.

It doesn't look like a desktop OS, it looks like Chrome.

Thank God Windows Phone is getting real Android apps.

Milchjon

There's already a third party app for that stuff. It's called Telescope or something.

Yeah, downloaded that.
Periscope links on Twitter actually open the app... but not the specific stream. And there's no search.

But I assume it's very much WIP and it doesn't look too bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Question time.... I've never been able to figure out an easy way to transfer some full resolution photos off my 1520. Is there any easy, and fast way?

Loading the device via win explorer takes forever to populate, etc...

Backup to onedrive. Choose best quality.

Just remember to always do a quick check before removing them from your phone, specially if you are exposed to places with crappy wifi connection.

quite often I had files that the phone failed to upload but marked them as uploaded anyway, and didn't try to upload anymore.

Ok, so I love using my Icon to record my band, as the audio quality is really good. But ever since the Denim update, after maybe ten minutes of recording, the video gets very grainy and the audio speeds up and slows down randomly, then eventually stops without being prompted. Basically, only the first ten minutes are usable. Any idea what might be causing this issue? I've been having some other random issues with the Icon as well, so I'm fearful that it's a hardware issue. If it official that Verizon discontinued this phone? I dread having to return it if so.

kazinova

This is the easiest way I found to get those photos. The frustration of trying to post awesome pictures to Twitter and Instagram that end up looking like total shit is real.

I bought a 1520 so my self-indulgent food pictures would look AMAZING! Not pixelated and garbage-y!!!

tbh im honestly super unsure about windows 10 for both pc and phones. currently i am happy with win 8 on both, and while i am looking forward to the improvements with cortana and stuff, I dislike a lot about the new designs and implementation of features

Got my 830 too. Camera takes great pics compared to the 635. When you zoom though, it can't touch the 1020.

Sucks I am forced to 3 rows. I don't mind the home screen in 3 rows but in other areas of the phone like podcasts, tiles are small.

Also, yeah it's fake Denim. Lumia Camera Classic is slow as fuk, almost as slow as my 1020's camera. Microsoft camera is extremely fast so I'll be using that until proper Denim is released.

Really impressed with the screen and build quality so far.

tbh im honestly super unsure about windows 10 for both pc and phones. currently i am happy with win 8 on both, and while i am looking forward to the improvements with cortana and stuff, I dislike a lot about the new designs and implementation of features

which features?

Though I'm sure you are (since your comment seems more a systemic view), keep in mind that end-game UI/Interaction often is not in the current builds.

Milchjon

Same. Less so on PC, but eeeeeeeeehh.

This is the easiest way I found to get those photos. The frustration of trying to post awesome pictures to Twitter and Instagram that end up looking like total shit is real.

I bought a 1520 so my self-indulgent food pictures would look AMAZING! Not pixelated and garbage-y!!!
Yeah I have the same issue with Twitter. I take a great looking photo with my 1520 and then tweet it out. If I look at the picture on Twitter, it looks terrible.

hadareud

The Translator
The offset icons in Spartan's ... menu, the use of ... and the hamburger, the curved switches vs hard lines of everything else, the Cortana menu overlay...

tgOAbXh.gif

I like it.

The hamburger menu is already there now in Cortana, btw. Just on the other side.

Overall I like the direction the design is going.

Nero3000

Quick question for those with multiple windows phones...

are there any sideaffects to being signed into two phones simultaneously? Like cloud services being confused?

are there any sideaffects to being signed into two phones simultaneously? Like cloud services being confused?

I often have four or so without any issues. You'll get a lot of 'backups' though to potentially restore

It's extremely easy.

I do have to mention that newer phones like my 830 use a nano sim while my older 635 and 1020 use a micro sim. Luckily I had a sim cutter and a nano to micro adapter. I love being able to use my 635 on workouts and not have to worry about damaging it cuz it only cost me $30.

Top Bottom