• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I haven't been paying attention. What form will Windows 10 take on small tablets, 7" and the like, is it supposed to be like an extended phone interface?

PG2G

José Mourinho;157816729 said:
I haven't been paying attention. What form will Windows 10 take on small tablets, 7" and the like, is it supposed to be like an extended phone interface?

Supposed to be the mobile interface, the 1520 is already close enough at 6 inches

joshschw

José Mourinho;157854475 said:
Must confess I don't think it looks much better in most of those photos. Often worse to be honest.

All their pics are terrible period and there's no real way to compare them anyway.

Day to day the 1520/930 is head and shoulders above any other phonecam after Denim.

MCD

http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/27/8...e-and-calendar-apps-for-w10-desktop-and-phone

rC0b6zV.jpg

I like this.
The most interesting thing about this app design is the use of a combination of pivots and hamburger menus. They explained it in detail during the presentation, here's how it works: When viewing a contact, there are three sections: profile, what's new and history. On the desktop these sections are displayed next to each other (with the history section being hidden away within the what's new section, for whatever reason), on phones these sections are implemented as pivots to swipe through horizontally, very similar to current Windows Phone UIs. The hamburger menu (with the hamburger button located at the top left corner, sadly) contains settings and other menus, and also access to the contact list which is displayed within the hamburger menu UI. On the desktop the hamburger menu is expanded by default, showing the contact list by default. I wonder if hiding the contact list away in the hamburger menu on phones is a good idea.

Additionally the app has app bars that are very similar to those in current Windows Phone apps. They contain icons for actions such as pinning or editing as well as ellipsis buttons ("...") to access additional options. Both the main UI and also the hamburger menu have app bars. On the phone these app bars are on the bottom. On the desktop they are on the top, but not as actual bars that go along the complete top edge of the window, but as collections of buttons on the top of the sections/menus.

Only thing I still don't know why this won't fix is the outdated black background for everything like the settings:

vpzH0v9.jpg

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Phonearena has the 930/Icon beating out the 6 Plus and the Note 4.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Noki...Galaxy-Note-4-HTC-One-M9-ends-up-last_id67659

Would like a comparison on video as well and the inclusion of both the 1020 and the 830.

The 1020 would win, the 830 can't touch the top tier phones in camera quality. Pretty much it's 1020, then 930, then ip6 plus/Note 4 (with the note being slightly better), then everyone else. That's the truth. I like these blind tests because it takes the fanboy factor away. The verge can claim the iPhone takes better pictures until the cows come home, but it doesn't win these blind tests because the reality distortion field don't work in them.

The 1020 would win, the 830 can't touch the top tier phones in camera quality. Pretty much it's 1020, then 930, then ip6 plus/Note 4 (with the note being slightly better), then everyone else. That's the truth. I like these blind tests because it takes the fanboy factor away. The verge can claim the iPhone takes better pictures until the cows come home, but it doesn't win these blind tests because the reality distortion field don't work in them.
Honestly, in daylight, all top camera phones are equal. Turn the lights off though and that's when Pureview phones show superiority.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Honestly, in daylight, all top camera phones are equal

Nope. No. Maybe in Facebook or when looking at a photo on your phone, but I pull the images up on my tv or my PC monitor and the differences are obvious between a 1020 shot and other phones. Much more detail, much richer colors.

One thing I don't like about the 830 is the USB port on top. My hair strands seem to get caught in the port and tugs on my hair after phone calls. The frame of the phone barely fits the 3.5mm headphone jack. I can see why Apple has moved on to the 2.5mm size.

edit: Inexpensive caps found.
syPOADw.jpg

Tablo

One thing I don't like about the 830 is the USB port on top. My hair strands seem to get caught in the port and tugs on my hair after phone calls. The frame of the phone barely fits the 3.5mm headphone jack. I can see why Apple has moved on to the 2.5mm size.

edit: Inexpensive caps found.
syPOADw.jpg

Wat... apple still uses a 3.5mm audio jack lol

I was gifted a "universal" (cabled) selfie stick.

It doesn't work with Windows Phone.

The cable plugs into the headphone jack? The button is basically the button you get with earbuds, on android it'll work as a shutter button when the camera app is active. It doesn't on WP.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

The 1020 is still a class of its own. I feel like white balance is still kinda shit (a common occurrence with the Lumia family of devices) and the camera app is still the slowest of the bunch even updated to the latest version, but some times megapixels matter.

You just can't touch that sensor. And both OIS and sound recording are godly.

With that said, the 830's camera stands VERY favourably against phones in the same tier. While it can't compete against the iPhone 6, it definitely kills any other midweighter.

The cable plugs into the headphone jack? The button is basically the button you get with earbuds, on android it'll work as a shutter button when the camera app is active. It doesn't on WP.
Yarp.

Top Bottom