• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kharma45

Same hardware, different software. Wonder will W10 address the performance gap between phones like the 735 and the Moto G, and the Nexus 5 vs the Lumia 930?

71307.png

71306.png

71304.png

More here http://www.anandtech.com/show/8956/nokia-lumia-735-review/3

Very interesting. It seems like an OS and driver thing, since the 930 is also behind the Nexus 5, with the same chip and same screen resolution.

Is this the point where we claim that DirectX 12 will close the performance gap?

n64coder

One thing I don't like about the 830 is the USB port on top.

I see why they put the USB port on top. I don't have bluetooth audio in my car (just for phone calls) so I have to plug the headphone cable into the top of my 1020 and if it needs to be charged, then the usb cable at the bottom of the phone. It's a bit awkward have cables at the top and bottom of the phone instead of just the top.

kharma45

Very interesting. It seems like an OS and driver thing, since the 930 is also behind the Nexus 5, with the same chip and same screen resolution.

Is this the point where we claim that DirectX 12 will close the performance gap?

Same RAM too. The 930 hardware matches the N5 and same with the 640/640XL/730/735/830 against the Moto G, and both android devices are comfortable faster not only on the GPU side in the images I posted but also the CPU ones through the link.

For an allegedly well optimised OS the raw figures don't back it up.

Same RAM too. The 930 hardware matches the N5 and same with the 640/640XL/730/735/830 against the Moto G, and both android devices are comfortable faster not only on the GPU side in the images I posted but also the CPU ones through the link.

For an allegedly well optimised OS the raw figures don't back it up.

Maybe Windows Phone has more resources allocated and reserved for the UI?

Still, it seems like a pretty huge gap to me and I'm not sure if it's an excuse that holds up in times of Lollipop (haven't used a G with 5.0+).

Looking at this page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8956/nokia-lumia-735-review/6

It looks like WP throttles the devices for extended battery life. The Lumia has about the same battery life with light tasks, but way more during stress tests.

I think that's something Ms acknowledged when talking about for DX12 on mobile as well, that currently the performance is really degraded because of throttling, but with dx12 the lower overhead will lower the power consumption so they can increase performance on the same power envelope.

No, for real, when are we getting a sling TV app?

I'd say the best you can hope for is that the Windows 10 universal app thing takes off and Sling ports their Xbox app to Windows Phone and tablets. But seeing how it's for the American market, well...

Maybe there'll be a third party app.

kharma45

Maybe Windows Phone has more resources allocated and reserved for the UI?

Still, it seems like a pretty huge gap to me and I'm not sure if it's an excuse that holds up in times of Lollipop (haven't used a G with 5.0+).

Would it even be reserving resources when it's doing other things rather than driving the UI? I would agree it doesn't really hold up as an excuse.

If I were to guess, and clearly I'm not a software engineer, I'd speculate that whatever driver they're using in WP has a bigger overhead/heavier footprint than what is being used in Android. It's the same graphical benchmarks being used so it's a fairly fair comparison.

Looking at this page:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8956/nokia-lumia-735-review/6

It looks like WP throttles the devices for extended battery life. The Lumia has about the same battery life with light tasks, but way more during stress tests.

I think that's something Ms acknowledged when talking about for DX12 on mobile as well, that currently the performance is really degraded because of throttling, but with dx12 the lower overhead will lower the power consumption so they can increase performance on the same power envelope.

Strange, Anandtech said this on the previous page re throttling

There is no throttling at all on the Lumia 735, with the first and last set of runs for GFXBench at exactly the same frames per second.

Would it even be reserving resources when it's doing other things rather than driving the UI? I would agree it doesn't really hold up as an excuse.

If I were to guess, and clearly I'm not a software engineer, I'd speculate that whatever driver they're using in WP has a bigger overhead/heavier footprint than what is being used in Android. It's the same graphical benchmarks being used so it's a fairly fair comparison.

Strange, Anandtech said this on the previous page re throttling

Yeah, just noticed the Performance Degradation test. But that seems to test for throttling for heat temperatures, with sequential tests to see if performance drops.

Perhaps it's not throttling due overheating, but instantaneous consumption, which would make all benchmarks throttled equally, and not just the ones when the device is hotter. (Don't even know if there's precedent for this type of throttling just guessing really).

Either way, for whatever reason, the same SoC on Lumia is definitely draining battery slower than on Android, even though it's delivering way less performance for that.

zeeaykay

Posted this in the Lumia thread before I realize it was essentially dead.

I cracked my HTC One M7 screen and am due for an upgrade from Verizon. My previous phone was a HTC 8X and I really enjoyed the Windows phone, even though I have no problems with android. I also really like the HTC.

Is the best Windows phone option from Verizon the Icon? Otherwise I've also been looking at the HTC M8 with Windows, but the design seems to clash a bit with Windows OS. I also like the capacitive buttons on Icon. Anyone care to chime in?

I'm also looking to not spend money; HTC M8 and Icon are free on Amazon with an upgrade.

Nero3000

Posted this in the Lumia thread before I realize it was essentially dead.

I cracked my HTC One M7 screen and am due for an upgrade from Verizon. My previous phone was a HTC 8X and I really enjoyed the Windows phone, even though I have no problems with android. I also really like the HTC.

Is the best Windows phone option from Verizon the Icon? Otherwise I've also been looking at the HTC M8 with Windows, but the design seems to clash a bit with Windows OS. I also like the capacitive buttons on Icon. Anyone care to chime in?

I'm also looking to not spend money; HTC M8 and Icon are free on Amazon with an upgrade.

Yes the Icon is the best WP...no contest.

zeeaykay

Yes the Icon is the best WP...no contest.
Thanks! Any thoughts on audio output from the 3.5mm Jack? I do most of my music listening through a good pair of headphones and my cars speakers? Have no qualms with the HTC One M7 so if its similar I'd be happy.

clav

Thanks! Any thoughts on audio output from the 3.5mm Jack? I do most of my music listening through a good pair of headphones and my cars speakers? Have no qualms with the HTC One M7 so if its similar I'd be happy.

What are your free Android upgrade choices?

NeOak

FYI, the Microsoft Foldable keyboard shown at the W10 event is up for preorder at the Microsoft Store. Ships on 7/15.

Preordered with Student Discount.

zeeaykay

What are your free Android upgrade choices?

Via Amazon, Galaxy S5, LG G3, HTC One M8, HTC One M8 Windows Phone, Lumia Icon.

The reason I'm thinking more of the Windows Phone is also because I have a Surface Pro 3 and Xbox One, so it would be kind of nice to get that whole shared ecosystem thing going with Windows 10. Leaning away from HTC One Windows because it's missing some features from the Lumia.

I also *never* use my camera phone because the M7 one absolutely sucks. Thinking it'd be nice to have a camera that's decent on my phone. But I also listen to music a lot; I'll lay in bed and play a whole album before sleeping. So that's my hesitation if the audio output is poor.

NeOak

Via Amazon, Galaxy S5, LG G3, HTC One M8, HTC One M8 Windows Phone, Lumia Icon.

The reason I'm thinking more of the Windows Phone is also because I have a Surface Pro 3 and Xbox One, so it would be kind of nice to get that whole shared ecosystem thing going with Windows 10. Leaning away from HTC One Windows because it's missing some features from the Lumia.

I also *never* use my camera phone because the M7 one absolutely sucks. Thinking it'd be nice to have a camera that's decent on my phone. But I also listen to music a lot; I'll lay in bed and play a whole album before sleeping. So that's my hesitation if the audio output is poor.

The audio output is great on the Icon.

You could go for a Galaxy Note 4 instead, even if you have to pay.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

The M8 is a gorgeous device with a fantastic screen, best in class speakers, and great battery life, plus ample storage compared to the Lumia. That said, the camera is just as bad as the one on the m7. Horrendous. Meanwhile, the Lumia has the best camera on a phone, bar the 1020. It'll be a huge upgrade for you in that department. Unfortunately, no matter what device you pick, you're giving up something. It's your call on what you're willing to sacrifice.

Nero3000

I can get a 925 for 100€ - should I bite?

Current phone?

I had a white 925 before my 930, and I really like it. A 100€ seems like a good deal, but is it not worth waiting till the new flagship then picking up a cheap 930? (I might have one to sell then lol)

derFeef

Current phone?

I had a white 925 before my 930, and I really like it. A 100€ seems like a good deal, but is it not worth waiting till the new flagship then picking up a cheap 930? (I might have one to sell then lol)

630, had a 920 before but the screen is busted.

My Sprint Ativ has been a stable work horse but I am looking forward to an upgrade. No news is bad news on the Windows 10 front since the new Android devices are looking very appealing. I have been with Windows since the Pocket PC days and my patience is finally starting to run thin. If I were to go Android I would go for the new Galaxy 6 and leaning more towards the edge. I still have to see them in person. The M9 just seems not quite as up to par although it does have advantages as far as front facing dual speakers [why isn't this standard] and micro sd card slot.

I need to see some benchmarks first. My first reaction was "ehhh, a bit too much for an Atom tablet". And then I thought about impulse-buying it asap. I need to see it in person.

And where the fuck is the 8" mini version of that?!

Actually, when you think about it.

The Surface Pro 3 base model comes with an i3, 4 GB of RAM and is "only" 200 bucks more expensive. It has a better kickstand, the pen is included, a higher-res screen as well and the accessories are priced the same (still 129 for the keyboard, fucking hell).
The only advantage is the smaller size of the S3, compared to the SP3.

Maybe it should've been priced 399 instead.

e: Or maybe it's great and my negativity is kicking in like a reflex, after the shock of this surprise announcement.

JaggedSac

The Surface Pro 3 base model comes with an i3, 4 GB of RAM and is "only" 200 bucks more expensive. It has a better kickstand, the pen is included, a higher-res screen as well and the accessories are priced the same (still 129 for the keyboard, fucking hell).

e: Or maybe it's great and my negativity is kicking in like a reflex, after the shock of this surprise announcement.

$300 more expensive.

Yeah, too pricey for what it is imo, but it does seem to be a much better tablet than any other on the market (aside from the apps off course).

But I really hope Ms have LTE options for SP4 as well. That's the only thing missing for me.

NeOak

The i3 is a dual core, no HT. You can get the S3 that had the Atom X7 which is a Quad with 4 GB or RAM and 128GB for 599.

Compared against the $999 SP3 with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and the i5 with HT.

You "lose" the stand and the bigger screen, but you gain microUSB charging.

Yeah, too pricey for what it is imo, but it does seem to be a much better tablet than any other on the market (aside from the apps off course).

But I really hope Ms have LTE options for SP4 as well. That's the only thing missing for me.

I don't think it is expensive for what it offers. After all, the Surface 3 is full computer.

x86 with that build quality ain't cheap.

SP4 won't have LTE ever. Where do you include the modem? The S3 has it because the Atom x7 has the option.

Magni

Saw two windows phone here in Japan. More than I've seen in the last year in America.
Both by foreigners

Hah, I just got back from a month in Japan and didn't see a single one. I don't see many in NY, but way more than 0.

I actually ranted about it on Reddit last week: http://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/309eed/ramblings_on_the_state_of_wp_in_japan/

I also asked on Reddit if anyone used Charles Schwab mobile banking (regular checking/savings account) on their WP, got no replies. Don't think I'll get more luck here, but just in case: how's the website in mobile IE?

those keyboards need to be cheaper. yeah, yeah, that's probably where the profit is....but it's a required accessory and is simply added to the cost of the tablet.

The i3 is a dual core, no HT. You can get the S3 that had the Atom X7 which is a Quad with 4 GB or RAM and 128GB for 599.

Compared against the $999 SP3 with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD and the i5 with HT.

You "lose" the stand and the bigger screen, but you gain microUSB charging.

We still don't know how fast that Atom x7 is. There are already quad-core Atom CPUs out there, but that doesn't mean they're faster in general, compared to a bigger dual-core CPU. That's like saying the Snapdragon 810 is better than an Atom, because it has 8 cores.

The Surface Pro 3 still comes with a pen, which is +49.99 for the Surface 3. No reason to ignore that.

And as I just learned, the Surface 3 starts at 599 in Europe, not 499. The Surface Pro 3, however, is still at 799. Or you could get the SP3 i5/128GB model for €859, as the Microsoft Store has a deal on that model right now. That one comes with a pen, too. The keyboard is €149 and not €129, btw.

So yeah, the Surface 3 is expensive.

Too expensive? Against an iPad? Against what?

You know that the Surface 3 is full computer, right?

Do people here forget that x86 with that build quality ain't cheap?

SP4 won't have LTE ever. Where do you include the modem? The S3 has it because the Atom x7 has the option.

In a world where retailers throw 7 and 8" x86 Atom tablets with full Windows for 100 or 150 bucks at you, the price of 499 might seem a bit expensive, yes. Different build quality, material, resolution etc., I know. But it's still 99 vs 499 for something that essentially does the same. 150-200 vs 499, if you want 2GB in the smaller tablets.

It will be announced alongside the Lumia flagship phone to end all smartphones.

Nah. The new Lumia flagship will be 6.6", with a pen. And it's going to be the only flagship model.

NeOak

We still don't know how fast that Atom x7 is. There are already quad-core Atom CPUs out there, but that doesn't mean they're faster in general, compared to a bigger dual-core CPU. That's like saying the Snapdragon 810 is better than an Atom, because it has 8 cores.

The Surface Pro 3 still comes with a pen, which is +49.99 for the Surface 3. No reason to ignore that.

And as I just learned, the Surface 3 starts at 599 in Europe, not 499. The Surface Pro 3, however, is still at 799. Or you could get the SP3 i5/128GB model for €859, as the Microsoft Store has a deal on that model right now. That one comes with a pen, too. The keyboard is €149 and not €129, btw.

So yeah, the Surface 3 is expensive.

In a world where retailers throw 7 and 8" x86 Atom tablets with full Windows for 100 or 150 bucks at you, the price of 499 might seem a bit expensive, yes. Different build quality, material, resolution etc., I know. But it's still 99 vs 499 for something that essentially does the same.

Nah. The new Lumia flagship will be 6.6", with a pen. And it's going to be the only flagship model.

Ouch. EU gets fucked.

Brot, it is 10.8". Not 7 or 8.

Ouch. EU gets fucked.

Brot, it is 10.8". Not 7 or 8.

Fine. The Toshiba Encore 2 is 10", has a quad-core Atom, 2 GB RAM and you can get it for €230 here. But to be fair, it comes with 32 GB storage and not 64 GB (expendable via microSD, but still). Do you still not see a problem with the price?

399 with the pen would've been a really great deal.
499 with a pen would've been acceptable (for me, as I wouldn't need necessarily the keyboard).
499 + 49.99 (+ 129.99)? Not so much.

Here again, in € instead of $
599 + 49,99 (+ 149,99)

Top Bottom