• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

NeOak

Fine. The Toshiba Encore 2 is 10", has a quad-core Atom, 2 GB RAM and you can get it for €230 here. But to be fair, it comes with 32 GB storage and not 64 GB (expendable via microSD, but still). Do you still not see a problem with the price?

399 with the pen would've been a really great deal.
499 with a pen would've been acceptable (for me, as I wouldn't need necessarily the keyboard).
499 + 49.99 (+ 129.99)? Not so much.

Here again, in € instead of $
599 + 49,99 (+ 149,99)

Makes more sense. As for the extra 32GB, that would be like 5€ in BOM, but 50€ in the retail price. However, it would still be cheaper. No kickstand though.

I still think it is an acceptable price for what it offers, but I have to agree that the price should have been lower.

The 3:2 aspect ratio is so good though. I hate writing on the 1080p screen of my SP2 after using a SP3 for a while.

Verizon and T-Mobile will sell the LTE version of the Surface 3. Like the Lumia 2520, there will eventually be a fire sale down the road. I will wait for that.

hadareud

The Translator
brot is mad as hell and he's not going to take it anymore.

But he's right. The EU prices are bad, but it should generally be cheaper. Especially the accessories.

Makes more sense. As for the extra 32GB, that would be like 5€ in BOM, but 50€ in the retail price. However, it would still be cheaper. No kickstand though.

I still think it is an acceptable price for what it offers, but I have to agree that the price should have been lower.

The 3:2 aspect ratio is so good though. I hate writing on the 1080p screen of my SP2 after using a SP3 for a while.

I'm absolutely not denying that the hardware quality of the Surface 3 is probably top-notch (if they can avoid WiFi issues for a change). The 3:2 aspect ratio is awesome as well, really. It's not like you're getting crap for 499. In fact, go back to my previous post, when I was shocked about the surprise announcement. I felt like impulse buying one. But compared to what you can get (that does essentially the same as a tablet), the price is underwhelming. And accessory prices are fucked up as always.

SP4 won't have LTE ever. Where do you include the modem? The S3 has it because the Atom x7 has the option.

I have no idea how it works, I always though it was some internal device on the motherboard like a usb controller XD

So it's actually in the SoC? Damn, no donut for me then :(

Totakeke

Small details matter so it's not always the specs on paper. How much is the kickstand worth? It's definitely far more versatile than a stand cover. How much active updates worth such as continually improve pen support for software worth? I'm sure other manufacturers cannot dedicate as many resources for that. Also Microsoft Complete is a godsend and it definitely makes owning something that can be easily damaged in an accident a far more smoother experience,

I guess it's the same argument that even if you had a cheap Chinese tablet that runs iOS with same or better specs, it's probably a far lesser experience because it's just not about the specs. But of course there'll be also people who find greater joy on just buying the cheapest devices.

dLMN8R

Obviously you can buy devices with similar specs that are cheaper.

Surface is an intentionally premium line of products, with much better build quality than the vast majority (if not all) of those cheaper devices. Raw specs are not and have never been the most important thing.

More importantly? It sells. Really well.

2014 Q4: $409 million
2015 Q1: $908 million
2015 Q2: $1.1 billion

Now you can get a Surface 3 that's significantly cheaper than the Surface Pro 3. That's what customers will see. Sure they can get some similarly-specced device from some other manufacturer for even cheaper - those devices have been available for a long time, they'll continue to be available as a less-premium line.

But now customers who saw and maybe tried the Surface Pro 3, and couldn't quite afford it, can get something that looks just as sleek, that's built just as well, yet is cheaper, lighter, slimmer, gets better battery life, has no fan, and probably still meets their needs depending on how much processing power they really need.

To finish my bitching about the pricing on an even lower note, the Surface 2 64 GB launched here for €479 or 529. Something like that. The 32 GB was €429. The Surface 3 is 599, because? Wait, "dat x86 premium!", amirite?

Doesn't even open on my 1520

Please use a modern browser.

kharma45

Surface 3 revealed.

Cherry trail. Starts at $500 for 2GB RAM and 64GB storage.

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microsoft-surface/2458/here-comes-surface-3

No surprise with it going X86. I've a Surface 2 sitting in a drawer at work that someone bought thinking it'd run proper Windows. Once I told them it couldn't we didn't even bother opening it, it has just sat there for months. Half tempted to take it home. Surface 3 is ideally what we needed at that time really. Pity it has come so late.

dLMN8R

To finish my bitching about the pricing on an even lower note, the Surface 2 64 GB launched here for €479 or 529. Something like that. The 32 GB was €429. The Surface 3 is 599, because? Wait, "dat x86 premium!", amirite?

You seem oddly worked up over Microsoft setting prices at what they think people will pay (and that they've had success at previously), instead of reaching for the bottom-of-barrel prices with no profit margin that other OEMs are going for.

What about the fact that since there's no profit margin in the prices set by other OEMs, they have to bloat it up with crapware instead?

You seem oddly worked up over Microsoft setting prices at what they think people will pay (and that they've had success at previously), instead of reaching for the bottom-of-barrel prices with no profit margin that other OEMs are going for.

What about the fact that since there's no profit margin in the prices set by other OEMs, they have to bloat it up with crapware instead?

Why would I care about Microsoft's profit margin? I'm not a shareholder. And why would I care about bloatware? Like, at all?

Mentioning what Microsoft thinks people would pay for their products is not such a a great idea, I'd say. The track record doesn't seem that good in the consumer hardware space (Surface, Surface 2, Xbox One).

They're a business and want to earn money and that's absolutely fine. I'm also not opposed to paying a certain premium for anything. Like I said, I don't think the device is bad for the price, not at all.

The only thing I'm oh so oddly upset about is that I'm supposed to pay more for no obvious reason and I think I've already explained pretty well where exactly the problem is for me. 599 EUR equals ~648 USD. I could deal with the usual 1:1 conversion rate on electronics, but that is a bit much. Now tell me, is the Surface 3, with no pen and cover, worth 648 USD to you? Is it that good?

dLMN8R

I'm just saying that products are priced at what people will pay for them, not purely matched spec-for-spec next to the competition.

People said the exact same thing about the Surface Pro 3, especially about the i5/i7 version markup. And while those people who said that might not have bought them, other people did. Especially the accessories.

I'm just saying that products are priced at what people will pay for them, not purely matched spec-for-spec next to the competition.

People said the exact same thing about the Surface Pro 3, especially about the i5/i7 version markup. And while those people who said that might not have bought them, other people did. Especially the accessories.

And that makes it okay to sell it for a much higher price in other regions and makes it odd and weird that I get upset about it? Okay, good to know.

If I had the time today, I'd go to our local store of one of the biggest electronic retailers in Europe (owned by that evil grocery store that doesn't want you guys to use that name) and take some pictures of the sad state of the Surface booth. Just to give you some perspective.

I'm just saying that maybe it's a better idea not to put a huge markup on products in markets where the brand isn't that popular (to put it nicely).

Here in Canada the Surface 3 is $639 because of the exchange rate, but the SP3 was released when they were pretty much at par, so it's still $849 for the base i3 model.

For $210 more the SP3 is a better deal.

Hey, at least the foldable keyboard is $100 CAD.

joshschw

Here in Canada the Surface 3 is $639 because of the exchange rate, but the SP3 was released when they were pretty much at par, so it's still $849 for the base i3 model.

For $210 more the SP3 is a better deal.

Hey, at least the foldable keyboard is $100 CAD.

Why is it a better deal? Not everyone needs a i-series CPU. I know I sure wouldn't on a tablet.

L.O.R.D

who here have lumia phones ?
my father is searching for a phone
he really not very good with technology
i want something simple and durable

the andriod phones are not very stable , and not easy to use
i had HTC 8X WP8 for 2 year, and very rare i had to do restart for the device

i am thinking about lumia 535,any one tried it ?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.

Grumble, grumble. They should include the Icon with denim. I mean, I guess their point is that windows phone doesn't even count as a platform. And without a new flagship, it's hard to fault them. Just annoying to read that sort of fanboy writing when blind tests show who the real champ is.

On another note, MS is in a world of trouble, and the wait for win10 phone may be the final nail in the coffin. What's the last major app to announce support? Instead, things are headed in the opposite direction. This has to be the worst period in the platform's history, no?

Grumble, grumble. They should include the Icon with denim. I mean, I guess their point is that windows phone doesn't even count as a platform. And without a new flagship, it's hard to fault them. Just annoying to read that sort of fanboy writing when blind tests show who the real champ is.

On another note, MS is in a world of trouble, and the wait for win10 phone may be the final nail in the coffin. What's the last major app to announce support? Instead, things are headed in the opposite direction. This has to be the worst period in the platform's history, no?

Slack is working on an app, some Italian bank has announced an official app.

Things are looking great!

clav

But aren't you excited for the 640 and 640 XL?

Please be excited.

I'm absolutely not denying that the hardware quality of the Surface 3 is probably top-notch (if they can avoid WiFi issues for a change). The 3:2 aspect ratio is awesome as well, really. It's not like you're getting crap for 499. In fact, go back to my previous post, when I was shocked about the surprise announcement. I felt like impulse buying one. But compared to what you can get (that does essentially the same as a tablet), the price is underwhelming. And accessory prices are fucked up as always.

Honestly, I'm actually a bit wary of purchasing a future Surface due to their failure to ever fully fix wifi on the Pro 2.

n64coder

who here have lumia phones ?
my father is searching for a phone
he really not very good with technology
i want something simple and durable

the andriod phones are not very stable , and not easy to use
i had HTC 8X WP8 for 2 year, and very rare i had to do restart for the device

i am thinking about lumia 535,any one tried it ?

Pretty much all of us in this thread have a Lumia. What is your budget and which carrier are you using?

My wife used the 520 for a year before going to the 830. She really liked the bigger screen as it's easier for her to read. So your father might want a phone that is larger.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Need help GAF. ATT store people are never helpful.

I'm on my parents family plan with a Lumia 925, I have 14 months left on the ATT next ripoff thing.

Phones fucking up on me though, I dont have insurance.

My question is, can I buy a cheap att go phone and put my sim card in it?

Is there some sort of insurance I can buy on the phone and then cash in?

This questions more out there, but can I somehow back out of the contract since I'm going to the navy soon?

Grazias

Btw, the phone when locked sometimes doesn't allow me to unlock, it'll stay black for a minute or two before it lets me unlock. Down volume button doesn't work either.

Need help GAF. ATT store people are never helpful.

I'm on my parents family plan with a Lumia 925, I have 14 months left on the ATT next ripoff thing.

Phones fucking up on me though, I dont have insurance.

My question is, can I buy a cheap att go phone and put my sim card in it?

Is there some sort of insurance I can buy on the phone and then cash in?

This questions more out there, but can I somehow back out of the contract since I'm going to the navy soon?

Grazias

Btw, the phone when locked sometimes doesn't allow me to unlock, it'll stay black for a minute or two before it lets me unlock. Down volume button doesn't work either.
Get a Lumia 635. The GoPhone version is only $50 but can be had for as low as $30.

I don't know about the military thing, call att and ask.

Love my new Nokia wireless charging back plate cover. Looks and feels amazing. Edges and corners are exposed though.

UjccxWZ.jpg

clav

I think I'm going to still hold out on a phone upgrade.

Pretty sure the flagship phone Microsoft will produce will look like a Surface.

ElNino

Slow and inconsistent connections, when I pick up another device there is a stark difference in my wireless connection from that device.
Strange, my Pro 1 seems to get great connections on WiFi. The only issue I've had is that it occasionally won't connect when I disconnect the ethernet connection with my USB dock, and I need to reboot to get it back.

That happens rarely though, and my connections are otherwise very good. Are you using 2.4 or 5 Ghz band? On the 5 Ghz band, I can get close to maxing out my 150 Mbps connection.

joshschw

Better than reader and Adobe?

Just tried it for a minute but seemingly MUCH BETTER, The fact it can render in 1080p for 1520/920 is HUGE IMO. Was kinda tired of PDF's being always a fuzzy - even if it's not something I use that often on phone.

Also seems to work faster. it may be lacking some features but who's using their phone for PDF annotations?

edit: also has a file picker which I think neither the other two have, and they have their own internal PDF storage.

Top Bottom