• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Nero3000

Not sure what warren gets so angry about.

I think a lot of people do like their windows phones, but what can you do when developers actively ignore it.

Ms has done all it can on that front, its created the apis, tools and courted developers. The situation is not going to change. They should just do their own thing now.

people said "it couldn't be done," and questioned "why it should be done?" and they told us we shouldn't do it, but you know what, we done it anyway.

Not sure what warren gets so angry about.

I think a lot of people do like their windows phones, but what can you do when developers actively ignore it.

Ms has done all it can on that front, its created the apis, tools and courted developers. The situation is not going to change. They should just do their own thing now.

You can almost replace MS with Nintendo in this post.

I don't think Tom Warren has made too many controversial comments. He's maybe a bit over zealous, but fairly spot on about the state of the platform.

Milchjon

José Mourinho;158427019 said:
I don't think Tom Warren has made too many controversial comments. He's maybe a bit over zealous, but fairly spot on about the state of the platform.

He mostly seems tired.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
He mostly seems tired.

And bored. The surface 3 hands on, he was falling asleep talking about the device. I think him and Paul are on the same page in terms of the state of the platform, but differ on who to blame. Tom blames MS mostly, Paul thinks it's more market forces and inertia. As always, the answer is somewhere in the middle. The only question left is whether the WP ship has sailed. We will know by this time next year, maybe sooner.

ElNino

José Mourinho;158427019 said:
I agree that he isn't really controversial with his comments, but what bugs me about him is that he seems to imply that his reasons for jumping ship (all those terrific apps on iOS) would apply to everyone else as well (or at least most).

kazinova

And bored. The surface 3 hands on, he was falling asleep talking about the device. I think him and Paul are on the same page in terms of the state of the platform, but differ on who to blame. Tom blames MS mostly, Paul thinks it's more market forces and inertia. As always, the answer is somewhere in the middle. The only question left is whether the WP ship has sailed. We will know by this time next year, maybe sooner.
Going down with the ship!
USd30u5.jpg

Lichter

While playing with the MS-DOS thing, I tried to format C: and Cortana told me "I'm afraid I can't let you do that" with her Frenglish accent lol.

joshschw

I feel like half the negativity towards the platform is because the actual WP blogs/sites are always so negative. I don't need to explain about WMPU, but even Windows Central.... It's always:

"SUCH AND SUCH APP TAKEN DOWN"

Yet, I send tips about Kobo, which is a very large presence in the eBook market, beta testing their WP apps and it doesn't get posted.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I feel like half the negativity towards the platform is because the actual WP blogs/sites are always so negative.

That certainly doesn't help, but the reason that happens is because most if not all of those editors have access to competing platforms and can compare. The gap is real and widening. Not just between unreleased apps, but between apps that are released on all platforms.

This is about as bad as I've ever experienced it, personally, and I've been here from the start. I have essentially a lot of the same apps on my iPad, Android M8, and 930. Apps for eBay, amazon, Facebook, etc. are constantly updated on the other platforms, multiple times a week sometimes. Including the new outlook app that we don't have. That is just not the case on Windows phone outside of Rudy's apps. To compound the problem, internet explorer compatibility issues means that it's not always easy to use the mobile site for the services that don't have apps on the platform. For example, my alarm app isn't available on WP, and the site won't load on IE. When I get home, I have to call my wife so she can disable the alarm from her Android phone. Embarrassing.

I still love the platform. I'm typing from my 930 now. But the reasons to use the platform are shrinking. My list is down to Cortana, the keyboard, live tiles, and the Lumia camera on my phone.

joshschw

That certainly doesn't help, but the reason that happens is because most if not all of those editors have access to competing platforms and can compare. The gap is real and widening. Not just between unreleased apps, but between apps that are released on all platforms.

This is about as bad as I've ever experienced it, personally, and I've been here from the start. I have essentially a lot of the same apps on my iPad, Android M8, and 930. iOS apps for eBay, amazon, Facebook, etc. are constantly updated on the other platforms, multiple times a week sometimes. Including the new outlook app that we don't have. That is just not the case on Windows phone outside of Rudy's apps. To compound the problem, internet explorer compatibility issues means that it's not always easy to use the mobile site for the services that don't have apps on the platform. For example, my alarm app isn't available on WP, and the site won't load on IE. When I get home, I have to call my wife so she can disable the alarm from her Android phone. Embarrassing.

I still love the platform. I'm typing from my 930 now. But the reasons to use the platform are shrinking. My list is down to Cortana, the keyboard, live tiles, and the Lumia camera on my phone.

I can't say I disagree entirely, but at the same time WP excels at the basic function/OS level where Android and iOS totally fizzle out.

Just trying to help a coworker email a dozen or so pics she took from her iPhone to herself... By the time I figured out which of the random icons was share, and figured out how to multi-select the photos... Oh wait. Why isn't email an option under share. It was when I had only one photo selected. let's try a few less pictures. Okay, now there's SOME apps under share, but no email option still. It's just random and super inconvenient.

On the flipside I go onto my WP and EASILY multi-select as many as I want and email them in seconds. This whole thing took FIVE minutes on her iPhone.

Just stuff like that....

Top Bottom