• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

frontieruk

Our new pessimism is about the Windows 10 mobile OS itself!

No, we pessimistic about the hardware as well, what's high end to WP was mid range to android a year ago, glance is hardware related it's too so with the behaviour of the screen so we have hardware on lockdown, the OS is probably going to be a clusterfuck everything that made it different and a joy to use had slowly been eroded.

That's the shit that has to stop, exclusivity.

It's not going to, this is Microsoft. The Surface 3 LTE is exclusive to T-mo and Verizons, which means I will be getting other tablet instead of Surface.

On another note, I didn't not realize Google disable Outlook calendar from its calendar app. It didn't affect me until now when I got Lollipops on my One Plus and Cyanogens replaced the mail app with a new one. The old one allow it to sync with Outlook account and able to pull in all the info and Google calendar app and read it however the new one only allow email and not calendar or contact. Microsoft use to have outlook app I think that would also do the same thing, but they took that out and replaced with the super shitty Preview version. I fucking hate Google and wonder why they are not being investigate more for monopoly.

Ok so the 635 is still fucking amazing considering I only paid $50 for it new off contract, but all of this app crashing is getting a bit out of hand. Wait for a new WP phablet or get a Note 4? Hmm...

catmincer

I would come back to Windows Phone if I could have the following features.

- Proper Google services (Hangouts)
- A Waterproof phone

I'm not hard to please dammit :(

Nero3000

I would come back to Windows Phone if I could have the following features.

- Proper Google services (Hangouts)
- A Waterproof phone

I'm not hard to please dammit :(

First one is never going to happen, because google are acting like dicks.

If we'd have known that a few threats of a good stabbing would have lightened his mood we could have done that months ago.

It;s not that bad, we have a westfield you know...

Time for an update!

Lumia 430 Dual SIM
Lumia 435
Lumia 435 Dual SIM
Lumia 530
Lumia 530 Dual SIM
Lumia 532
Lumia 532 Dual SIM
Lumia 535
Lumia 535 Dual SIM
Lumia 540 Dual SIM
Lumia 630
Lumia 630 Dual SIM
Lumia 635
Lumia 638
Lumia 640
Lumia 640 Dual SIM
Lumia 640 XL
Lumia 640 XL LTE
Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM
Lumia 640 XL LTE Dual SIM
Lumia 730
Lumia 730 Dual SIM
Lumia 735
Lumia 830
Lumia 930

hwalker84

Time for an update!

Lumia 430 Dual SIM
Lumia 435
Lumia 435 Dual SIM
Lumia 530
Lumia 530 Dual SIM
Lumia 532
Lumia 532 Dual SIM
Lumia 535
Lumia 535 Dual SIM
Lumia 540 Dual SIM
Lumia 630
Lumia 630 Dual SIM
Lumia 635
Lumia 638
Lumia 640
Lumia 640 Dual SIM
Lumia 640 XL
Lumia 640 XL LTE
Lumia 640 XL Dual SIM
Lumia 640 XL LTE Dual SIM
Lumia 730
Lumia 730 Dual SIM
Lumia 735
Lumia 830
Lumia 930
Lumia 1520
Such an amazing lineup. I can't imagine why this OS isn't successful. I love how easy it is to get the 930 in the US on every carrier. There's some S6 killers in that lineup.

hadareud

The Translator
I think apart from there being a hundred models and it being messy as fuck, the main problem is that there seems to be no strategy in getting them out.

They seem to announce a new model every few weeks and the successor to that model then randomly comes 8 months later or so. Surely it would make more sense to stagger the releases and announce the models events, rather than forgettable press releases. They could, say, have a low end event every year where they announce the 4, 5 and 6 series devices, then have a mid-range & niche device event every year where they announce the 7 and 8 and then have one main even where they announce the flagships. That way they could also communicate the difference between the devices and who they are actually aimed at.

Maybe tie in some partnership announcements and app and new feature announcements at each of these events and get some press coverage as an added bonus.

derFeef

MS is doing our environemnt a service. Surplus, obsolete hardware from years ago is getting soldered into Lumia cases of different sizes. Maybe there is an error in my thought though...

Yeah, the day I stayed with the preview made me realize how much I like the pivot paradigm. I understand that it's still early, but its current incarnation is a complete step back.

Still, I wanna see that damn flagship.
I've only played around with it on a 635 and pivots removed with navigation and actions pushed to the top of the screen annoyed me. My main phone is a 1520, which is going to be even worse for that. :/
Using the Windows button as a replacement for an LED notification light is a neat little idea.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can't wait to hear it looks and runs better on iOS and Android.

And we can't blame the devs either. We had an MS employee tell us directly that the app platform just isn't up to snuff with IOS and Android. We spent a lot of time giving third party devs a hard time, and apparently so did the WP app platform team until some of the other internal teams in MS couldn't make the WP version of first party apps competitive with the versions on other platforms.

So third party devs had to deal with a small userbase on top of an app platform that wasn't competitive. Little wonder most of them didn't want to spend the extra time it would've taken to reach feature parity.

frontieruk

And we can't blame the devs either. We had an MS employee tell us directly that the app platform just isn't up to snuff with IOS and Android. We spent a lot of time giving third party devs a hard time, and apparently so did the WP app platform team until some of the other internal teams in MS couldn't make the WP version of first party apps competitive with the versions on other platforms.

So third party devs had to deal with a small userbase on top of an app platform that wasn't competitive. Little wonder most of them didn't want to spend the extra time it would've taken to reach feature parity.

Funny thing is I've seen those inadequacies reported back by devs via the support forum and twitter channels as far back as wp7 and it fell on deaf ears until their own teams had to work on the platform? That's not a very open to the community feedback Microsoft hopefully their new we should listen means we could get the pivots back if we moan loudly enough ;)

hwalker84

I love how every manufacturer realized releasing 100+ model phone's with minor differences was a losing strategy. Here is Microsoft taking what was proven to be a losing strategy and going all in.

Doffen

HALO: SPARTAN STRIKE LAUNCHED!

Windows Phone sav..

...as well as to iPad, iPhone, and Steam...

Never mind. :(

LTIFdhV.png

Should have bought iPhone

I don't know, Outlook is pretty crappy on Android. So slow to get mail and UI is pretty ugly looking.

Does anyone know if you'll be able to install Windows Store Apps to the SDCard in Windows 10 for desktops?

In the current preview there are already options for that (Just dunno if they are already working), so I'm going with yes. From the settings you will even be able to move them to another storage location after installing (including W32 apps apparently).

Doffen

For realz:

6discover

Free

6Discover is a first client app for Discover, a Snapchat service!

* Note: this is not a Snapchat app, this application only provides stories from Discover, no authentication needed!

6discover is a new way to explore Stories from MTV, CNN, Cosmopolitan, Food netword, National Geographic, Yahoo, Comedy central and other editorial teams with a storytelling format that puts the narrative first.

29e1b48e-c57a-48be-b50b-c3532c48bdd4
98e9336d-06cb-442b-86fc-b6b741297862

Top Bottom