• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Pooya

At this point MS is just waiting for that flagship Android Lumia. Bank on it. Windows (Phone) 10 looks like something they just had to make, it's going to be the last.

Windows 11 might as well be Windows 7 with an Android Start Screen.

Edit: I was joking but come to think of it, just fork Android like Amazon does.

hwalker84

Lets be honest. What this platform needs is more manufacturers. Microsoft can't cover every price range in every region with all kinds of variants (even if it seems like they're trying). If consumers want a Windows Phone, they have no choice but to buy a Lumia and that can't be great. I'm sure carriers don't like it either. There's little differentiation in the hardware line-up and even if you slim it down to 6 Lumia phones, there wouldn't be much that sets them apart. You want a phone that's not made of plastic? Nothing. Something waterproof or -resistant? Nope. Something between 5" and 6"? Go away.

If you get some rare Windows Phone announcement from a different manufacturer, it's usually some non-commitment throw-away stuff made by interns or something. Even the HTC One M8 with Windows was basically a proof of concept. "Look, you totally can put Windows on your Android flagship without doing anything! Now sell it exclusively on one carrier!"

And remember this?

wpoems47fpm.png

That went nowhere as well.
Can't disagree with this man. My hatred of the current phone situation is quickly growing close to my hatred of iOS. Microsoft you have until the iPhone 6s.

My friends trust my opinion and I've gotten so many people on windows phones. My friend just finished his two year contract and asked me last night what to get and I told him an iPhone. The whole table looked at me shocked and asked if I was the same person who came back from Japan.

Give me a fucking super phone now with the promise I get wp10 within the first month. This waiting bs has gone further than I can handle. I can't believe after so much time and love with this platform that I'm about to revoke my membership. I remember when it seemed like they had a plan. After buying Nokia I thought things would be more clear and simplified to the fans of the platform. Microsoft has made this platform more frustrating than exciting.

frontieruk

Can't disagree with this man. My hatred of the current phone situation is quickly growing close to my hatred of iOS. Microsoft you have until the iPhone 6s.

My friends trust my opinion and I've gotten so many people on windows phones. My friend just finished his two year contract and asked me last night what to get and I told him an iPhone. The whole table looked at me shocked and asked if I was the same person who came back from Japan.

Give me a fucking super phone now with the promise I get wp10 within the first month. This waiting bs has gone further than I can handle. I can't believe after so much time and love with this platform that I'm about to revoke my membership. I remember when it seemed like they had a plan. After buying Nokia I thought things would be more clear and simplified to the fans of the platform. Microsoft has made this platform more frustrating than exciting.

This is the same situation I'm in :( I've suffered my m7 for long enough holding out for a saviour wp

Pooya

Amazon or Samsung stores are way better than Windows Phone store can ever be, surely MS can manage something on par if they went that route. It's more probable to achieve that than improving WP store at this point.

Amazon or Samsung stores are way better than Windows Phone store can ever be, surely MS can manage something on par if they went that route. It's more probable to achieve that than improving WP store at this point.
Exactly, it would be far easier getting Android developers to bring their Android apps over to the "Windows Store" than it would to get developers to develop for Windows.

maeh2k

They could certainly go that route, but that would also mean that everything they've done since Windows 7 has been a waste of time -- all the work on the unified app model and on supporting all kinds of device types.

Lichter

Wow, they are very brisk!

Cutting off 3rd party Snapchat apps concerned everyone (Android + iOS + WP) but now they made a special statement for Rudy and his app.

Does that mean that Snapchat is looking closely to Windows platforms?

hwalker84

Wow, they are very brisk!

Cutting off 3rd party Snapchat apps concerned everyone (Android + iOS + WP) but now they made a special statement for Rudy and his app.

Does that mean that Snapchat is looking closely to Windows platforms?
LMAO the only thing they're closely looking at is putting their boot heel on the neck of windows phone.

f0lken

our future?

start-menu.jpg

If live tiles go, I'll never come back to WP, not even if they made the 1" sensor camera phone I want, I've been on iPhone 6 for a month and don't really like it, the OS is better than the last time I had an iPhone (4S) as my main driver, but it still is very much an enter app, exit app to do anything which I never liked, android is more integrated, but needs so much mantaining for a person like me (I know me, and i would install a new CFW every third day) so WP was/is (at this moment) what I want on an OS, services that comunicate with each other (I have eveything on MS cloud so that is a plus), UI that I enjoyed miles ahead of other OSes, great visual language, and so on. The mainstream may not have liked WP as it is, but is like it was tailor made for me. And if they are going to copy everything for other OSes no only they will lose the WP identity that masses rejected, but they will have an abortion of OS that masses will also reject because why go to the copy when they can easily go to The original (Android-iOS)

They have like 80million plus wp active which is small potatoes compared to the big boys, but instead of keeping us fans happy, they want us to go where everyone already is, and they keep hanging that carrot in front of us and delivering so, so little :(

hwalker84

If live tiles go, I'll never come back to WP, not even if they made the 1" sensor camera phone I want, I've been on iPhone 6 for a month and don't really like it, the OS is better than the last time I had an iPhone (4S) as my main driver, but it still is very much an enter app, exit app to do anything which I never liked, android is more integrated, but needs so much mantaining for a person like me (I know me, and i would install a new CFW every third day) so WP was/is (at this moment) what I want on an OS, services that comunicate with each other (I have eveything on MS cloud so that is a plus), UI that I enjoyed miles ahead of other OSes, great visual language, and so on. The mainstream may not have liked WP as it is, but is like it was tailor made for me. And if they are going to copy everything for other OSes no only they will lose the WP identity that masses rejected, but they will have an abortion of OS that masses will also reject because why go to the copy when they can easily go to The original (Android-iOS)

They have like 80million plus wp active which is small potatoes compared to the big boys, but instead of keeping us fans happy, they want us to go where everyone already is, and they keep hanging that carrot in front of us and delivering so, so little :(
Come on man it's not that bad the Lumia 640 XL is hero phone Microsoft thinks we all deserve.

dLMN8R

Here's a pic I took with my 830 today, no Lumia Camera 5 or anything thanks to AT&T being slow as balls

Very happy with it coming from a 920, can't wait for Lumia Camera 5. But even more looking forward to a new flagship :-D

kharma45

Fuck y'all Pureview bastards.

I think I've decided I want the 930/1020 successor. I need a good camera with me all the time. The 735 is OK, but I don't want OK any longer.

Top Bottom