• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

kharma45

8zz8G1V.jpg

I'm assuming that Microsoft aren't doing anything like this on Windows?

clav

I'll be disappointed if the next Windows Phone doesn't run on x86 hardware.

First question when I saw the alarms app for Windows 10, why do we need alarms on a tablet when most of the userbase uses laptops that go to fast shutdown mode?

I had it in high school. I have a tiny tiny amount.

From a quick glance from your album, looks like you were around Tokyo and Roppongi Hills?

hwalker84

I'll be disappointed if the next Windows Phone doesn't run on x86 hardware.

First question when I saw the alarms app for Windows 10, why do we need alarms on a tablet when most of the userbase uses laptops that go to fast shutdown mode?

From a quick glance from your album, looks like you were around Tokyo and Roppongi Hills?

Stayed in Asakusa. Only went to Roppongi once and I think maybe 3 photos are from that area. I did shop a good bit in Shibuya and went around Shinjuku one night. This trip I did Tokyo, Kamakura, Nagano, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Himeji, Okayama, Osaka, Nagoya, Kanazawa.

WP still has absolutely no Japan specific services, right? No Zenrin map data, no transit info in Here, no voice translation, no OCR in Bing Translate?

MCD

You know what I find funny and sad at the same time?

An ex MS employee convincing me about the decision behind hamburger menu better than the current team.

Just tells you how much MS secrecy and closed attitude is out of touch with reality and their fans.

All they do is basically got to that feedback site and write: Yup, we are listening!

Sigh.

MCD

WP still has absolutely no Japan specific services, right? No Zenrin map data, no transit info in Here, no voice translation, no OCR in Bing Translate?

I read on reddit that Bing maps and train transit fully work in win10.

Dunno about anything else.

Same for Korea btw.

Hoping for new builds at build, and announcement of new features.
If - as the rumors say - they intend to release in time for the back to school sales, we should get the finalized feature sheet. And new builds are almost a given, considering it is their biggest dev event of the year.

Also, if there's anyone interested, 1Password released an alpha for both Windows and Windows Phone. I'm on mobile right now, so I can't post the link.

Doffen

It feels like WP10 is behind the desktop OS. I'm thinking November unfortunately for the hero phone we deserve.

You're way too optimistic. They might say they'll release it in November, but we all know Russia and India are the only countries who will get it during that month.

hadareud

The Translator
It all depends on what progress we'll see between the last and the next preview build.

If it's not a ridiculously big jump, I can't see it being ready to release before the end of summer.

That said, I wouldn't be entirely shocked either if they released it alongside new hardware sooner than that and had monthly updates until it's up to snuff by the end of the year. Might actually not be a bad idea to do that.

Gonna be fun visiting Tokyo again with Win10.

Too bad MS will never attempt a 1020 like monster.
1020 was ahead of its time. the camera hump suits itself well for these new phablet sized phones. They did say they're still working on large sensor tech. There's still hope. It will probably depend on how well the new 940 flagship does.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Since Microsoft now owns the Nokia hardware division, and since they make lots of Android apps...... Wouldn't it be fair to hope for an Android flagship Lumia?

I mean, think about it. MS apps preinstalled, they will make money off the hardware and software, and they can even launch software exclusively on it for a limited time, like office for Android phones and Cortana beta.
Keep the focus on camera tech, keep the launcher close to stock with the customization limited to their lock screen apps (glance).

I don't know, am I crazy?

Since Microsoft now owns the Nokia hardware division, and since they make lots of Android apps...... Wouldn't it be fair to hope for an Android flagship Lumia?

I mean, think about it. MS apps preinstalled, they will make money off the hardware and software, and they can even launch software exclusively on it for a limited time, like office for Android phones and Cortana beta.
Keep the focus on camera tech, keep the launcher close to stock with the customization limited to their lock screen apps (glance).

I don't know, am I crazy?
I'd probably buy it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Microsoft is fairly interested in Cyanogen, to the point of collaborating with them in terms of software development, so it could be really damn funny if they used them to launch a Nexus-like device with COS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
If they don't have Google play store, they shouldn't bother.

I think we have reached a critical point with the platform. I'm not optimistic that W10 and universal apps will turn the tide. Nothing against the platform, I'm typing this from a 930 and I absolutely believe this is the best OS in the world, but without the apps, there is no future. And it's not for a lack of trying on MS' part, this is not all their fault. But they can and probably should leverage their fantastic Nokia hardware team and their suite of Android apps and build a phone that runs the world's most popular mobile software. Differentiate on camera, apps, stock, lock screen, and possibly battery life. The Android hardware space is a mess this year, the opening is there, but Samsung is about to slam it shut again if no one else innovates in hardware and software on the platform.

our future?

start-menu.jpg

This would be kind of interesting with Microsoft's "exploding UI" patents.

Quick touch press launches the app. pressing and holding the icon for a second or two gives you an exploded view.

Like for the calendar app, the entire calendar pops up or your appointments for the day etc etc without having the launch the full app.

Omg I hate android so much. What niche OS should I turn to, if not windows phone? btw I dont really care about lack of apps. And thus I don't really care about the phones selling (actually I do, but only because of fanboyish reasons), so as long the os itself and the hardware are congruent with my taste, everything is fine for me!

I think we have reached a critical point with the platform. I'm not optimistic that W10 and universal apps will turn the tide. Nothing against the platform, I'm typing this from a 930 and I absolutely believe this is the best OS in the world, but without the apps, there is no future. And it's not for a lack of trying on MS' part, this is not all their fault. But they can and probably should leverage their fantastic Nokia hardware team and their suite of Android apps and build a phone that runs the world's most popular mobile software. Differentiate on camera, apps, stock, lock screen, and possibly battery life. The Android hardware space is a mess this year, the opening is there, but Samsung is about to slam it shut again if no one else innovates in hardware and software on the platform.
The problem with this would be if they use Android they'll be forced to preload all of Google's apps on it and with that in mind people may just ignore the Microsoft apps and use the Google alternatives instead. The alternative around that would be to completely skin Android like Amazon has done, but then they'd have to make their own App-Store and that would probably have as much success as the current Windows Phone store has had.

Another problem they'd run into is trying to compete in the Android arena. There's already too much competition to the point where nobody (Except Samsung) is really making any money and while Microsoft is a strong brand I don't know if they could offer a unique enough experience to convince people to switch to their own devices.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Good points all around. I will say that MS can compete with Samsung, and that they will get a ton of press on the initial reveal and launch. I don't think there is any way around preloading Google apps, but MS can still do things like making OneDrive the default camera backup app and setting the other defaults around their apps, for mail, Skype, Office, etc.

As for differentiating, I listed the areas in the previous post. There is space, but they have to execute. I don't mean to say it's easy, but they may not have a choice for much longer.

Zeknurn

There's no point in keeping Microsoft Mobile if they aren't going to use it to push their own OS. Making hardware is a waste of money.

Honestly, I'm incredibly disappointed in how WP8 has turned out. Not the phone itself, but rather that it never managed to punch its way through into the market. It's an absolute travesty, every person who gets their hands on it LOVES IT. But getting them to give it a whirl is the hardest thing in the world, because of the app situation.

Honestly, if MS had some way of porting Android Apps onto WP8, while I'd hate to see that happen, it's about the only thing that could get people to actually try the damn thing out.

hwalker84

This is 100% Microsoft's fault. They completely underestimated the smartphone market and let the iPhone destroy them before taking things seriously.

This is 100% Microsoft's fault. They completely underestimated the smartphone market and let the iPhone destroy them before taking things seriously.
To be honest I don't think they have yet to take the smartphone market seriously.

I feel like Windows Phone 10 is happening because they feel that they need to continue releasing phones, but it doesn't feel like an effort they're pouring all their time and resources into.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
There's no point in keeping Microsoft Mobile if they aren't going to use it to push their own OS. Making hardware is a waste of money.

To be truly successful, they have to do both. And besides, they already have a well regarded hardware division and well regarded Android apps.

To be honest I don't think they have yet to take the smartphone market seriously.

I feel like Windows Phone 10 is happening because they feel that they need to continue releasing phones, but it doesn't feel like an effort they're pouring all their time and resources into.

I seriously wish that WP10 would just be WP8 with back end improvements, some menu cleanup, and the universal apps compatibility. Everything I've seen of WP10 seems to be for the worse...
But maybe it's just people voicing the cons way more than the pros. I'd like WP10 to turn out great.

AnkitT

Greetings, i see things havent changed much since the wp7 days lol.

My android phone is on its last legs and all the wp10 stuff revealed so far really sounds good, apart from some things in the interface. I'm primarily disappointed with the camera offerings available on android, and the lack of dng output by OEMs. From what I've read, the current snapdragon 800 models have dng output. I guess my question is that are there any rumoured announcements for build? I probably ought to wait till build and i/o are done with right? Really jonesing for an upgrade right now though.

Greetings, i see things havent changed much since the wp7 days lol.

My android phone is on its last legs and all the wp10 stuff revealed so far really sounds good, apart from some things in the interface. I'm primarily disappointed with the camera offerings available on android, and the lack of dng output by OEMs. From what I've read, the current snapdragon 800 models have dng output. I guess my question is that are there any rumoured announcements for build? I probably ought to wait till build and i/o are done with right? Really jonesing for an upgrade right now though.

All we know is that a flagship will be coming out sometime this year. No clue on what type of camera it will have, but I'd be surprised if it didn't have at least a 20MP.

I seriously wish that WP10 would just be WP8 with back end improvements, some menu cleanup, and the universal apps compatibility. Everything I've seen of WP10 seems to be for the worse...
But maybe it's just people voicing the cons way more than the pros. I'd like WP10 to turn out great.
Personally I'll hold my judgement until Windows 10 is finished and launched, but I agree with you.

Windows Phone 8 was a great OS that just needed to be polished and cleaned up in some areas. I'm not sure why they insisted on deviating from it so much with Windows Phone 10.

Yeah, instead of Phone and the Windows start screen bridging closer it seems Phone took a turn towards Android with these early Windows 10 builds.

Personally I'll hold my judgement until Windows 10 is finished and launched, but I agree with you.

Windows Phone 8 was a great OS that just needed to be polished and cleaned up in some areas. I'm not sure why they insisted on deviating from it so much with Windows Phone 10.

Exactly! WP8 is damned near PERFECT! There's a few features here and there, but it's absolutely my favorite mobile OS EVER. Wonderfully clean, simple, and useable. So silky smooth, so clear, I absolutely love it!

So to see WP10 look like Android... makes me cry inside. Hopefully there's still some time for them to steer it back closer to 8.

Top Bottom