• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

clav

the lack or limited apis killed wp8. 10 will fix it....

or so they say.

If it goes x86, maybe there's a chance.

Remember Microsoft's reputation is dumping old schemes and replacing them with new ones.

Pretty sure some old devs out there can comment on that.

CaptainABAB

I know this is going to get me flamed, but I would happily accept the following:

Windows Phone OS with Android App compatibility

And yes, I know this might be the death of native App development amongst 3rd party developers. But I feel like that has already happened to a certain extent.

I still want native apps from Microsoft but would accept Android apps for those 3rd parties unwilling to port to our platform. I just don't see the app situation improving with Win10 Universal Apps.

hadareud

The Translator
It depends on the angle. Android apps without the Play Store are useless. The Play Store on Windows would be the death of the Windows Store, which in turn mean no developer support for Windows which would be the death of Windows itself.

Making it easier to port Android apps to the platform is essential though. Let's see what Build holds, I would hope that they have something to say about that.

Pooya

Satya gotta be one of those iPhone users that had trouble with bringing it to work during Ballmer era, this is now just his repressed emotions erupting.

hadareud

The Translator
It's funny that every time MS release something for another platform we have this sort of reaction.

I still don't understand the rational behind the criticism, other than possibly a jilted lover syndrome.

They would be mental not to go hard after other platforms to win and retain customers, to stay relevant and to generate goodwill. Why would they ignore the majority of users to try and force them onto a platform they are very unlikely to switch to any time soon, and far less likely still if they don't have compelling reasons to, like using the companies tools and services already.

Unless their services are the best they can possibly be on other platforms, there's no reason for people to keep using them. There's free alternatives for almost every single thing that Microsoft do and they've been taken up by the market at a rapid pace over the years because Microsoft didn't do enough about it (whether out of arrogance, complacency or inept tactical decisions doesn't really matter). They should have started doing what they are doing now years ago.

I don't understand why this would have a negative impact on their own platforms, quite the opposite.

joshschw

José Mourinho;160979131 said:
I can't believe how much of an issue people are taking with the hamburger.

I have no problems with it in certain apps. The current email app on WP8 (from WP7) is poor once you need to do anything other than very basic things. Just changing folders is a multi-step process and then you hit back and... it backs out of the app. Ahhh!

So a hamburger in the new outlook is welcome.

but they're being overused. if a hamburger hides settings then it should just be how settings are currently, it's fine. They're settings, I don't want them in my face.

José Mourinho;160979131 said:
I can't believe how much of an issue people are taking with the hamburger.
The hamburger represents a sign of where MS is taking the platform. Basically they're trying to appeal to the mainstream looking more familiar. But what about us existing users who love the current design?

WP can't get a foothold in the market because it doesn't look like Android. It can't get a foothold because it isn't Android and doesn't have Snapchat, Tinder, a proper Instagram, banking apps, etc. The mobile computing landscape grows more app-centric by the minute and Microsoft's platform can't keep pace.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
If Tom Warren's info/tease is to be believed (his info is almost always good), we will get 940 and 1540 devices.

Hearthstone on the other hand...start bugging blizzard and hope I guess..

1540? We'll see about that.

With that said, I'm not worried about Microsoft crafting a best in class camera. I'm worried about its devices having slow ass software and crummy white balance. It was the 1020's main weakness and it remains one of Windows Phone's main weakness.

The Galaxy S6 gets its camera up and running in less than a second with just double clicking its main button (seriously, it's faster than pressing and holding a dedicated button) and every single picture comes out gorgeous without having to fiddle with the settings.

I really, really hope Microsoft doesn't fudge this one.

1540? We'll see about that.

With that said, I'm not worried about Microsoft crafting a best in class camera. I'm worried about its devices having slow ass software and crummy white balance. It was the 1020's main weakness and it remains one of Windows Phone's main weakness.

The Galaxy S6 gets its camera up and running in less than a second with just double clicking its main button (seriously, it's faster than pressing and holding a dedicated button) and every single picture comes out gorgeous without having to fiddle with the settings.

I really, really hope Microsoft doesn't fudge this one.
IIRC it is supposed to be five devices (low end, regular size mid range, phablet mid range, regular size high end (930 successor), and phablet high end (1520 successor)).

Hopefully they take advantage of the Win 10 launch to switch to a new naming system that makes a lick of sense.

Pooya

If MS wasn't incompetent in developer relations they would be on Blizzard to get Hearthstone for xbox/win10/phone, it makes a lot of sense but of course they have no clue what to do. I bet it will come to Vita before any windows 10 device.

Great, just found out the Netflix app is broken for my ATT 830.

So few owners out there that Netflix, ATT, and Microsoft probably don't care to fix it.

If MS wasn't incompetent in developer relations they would be on Blizzard to get Hearthstone for xbox/win10/phone, it makes a lot of sense but of course they have no clue what to do. I bet it will come to Vita before any windows 10 device.

What. Windows is Windows. Heartjstone is a Windowsgame

Pooya

Not just phones, when the game runs worse on my Surface Pro compared with a iPad mini, with fans kicking to max and battery going down the drain in 45min, that's also an issue. Desktop app isn't any good for windows tablet use, just having touch input isn't enough.

giga

vs. not having that app at all...?
If you want to seal the end of the platform once and for all, allowing third party Android apps is the quickest way. Ask how that worked out for Waterloo. Why target Windows apps when a dev can just make an APK and be done with it?

If you want to seal the end of the platform once and for all, allowing third party Android apps is the quickest way. Ask how that worked out for Waterloo. Why target Windows apps when a dev can just make an APK and be done with it?
Do you realize that some banks not only do not have a WP app but they also prevent access through a mobile browser?

We really need to take matters into our own hands and hound these companies and developers in social media and beg for apps.

Geez, we really are the next Crackberry community.

http://wmpoweruser.com/leaked-sony-pictures-documents-reveal-cause-of-windows-phone-app-plight/

in Financial Year 2014 Sony Pictures only expected to earn around $20,000 from the app in the Windows Phone Store, while expecting to earn $1.4 million on iOS and around $300,000 on Android. This is despite the price of Wheel of Fortune being nearly double than of the iOS or Android versions.

image_thumb54.png

hadareud

The Translator
Btw, the real story here is that IOS generates five times the revenue that Android does with a fraction of the users.

edit:

In some truly important news:

Lumia 940 may sport a 5.2 inch while Lumia 940 XL may have a 5.7 inch display. We hear that the rear camera sensor may swell to 24-25 MP from current 20 MP on Lumia 930. They will certainly feature a 5 MP or even higher MP FFC. We also hear some cool features like 3D-interaction, Iris scanner and native Pen support as part of the package. We know that Windows 10 for Phones will bring support for Hexa-core and Octa-core processors. We don’t have confirmed info about processor and display resolution as of now but Microsoft may go for bleeding-edge specs, we hear.

MCD

My 930 has a few light scratches on the screen so I'm willing to ditch it!

Flagship W10 phone with an even better camera than the 1020? Sold.

Doubt it's gonna best out 1020 but my 1020 battery is dying so I am desperate for any flagship.

God help the fellow Americans here if this another carrier bullshit.

Top Bottom