• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I think the key difference between what BB did, and what MS is doing, is that these apps work for fucking everything. It's not that we'll get iOS apps on WP10, it's that we'll get any app that any Windows Platform gets, and even webpages adjusted to work as apps. Xbox will be a huge opener for all of this, since people will want to target that, and with Desktop apps we'll get those on Phone as well. It's really the fact of Universal Apps being exactly that -- one binary for fucking everything, that makes this a good thing.

Who wouldn't add 3 lines of code to get 5 more platforms?

Ape

Banned
I think the key difference between what BB did, and what MS is doing, is that these apps work for fucking everything. It's not that we'll get iOS apps on WP10, it's that we'll get any app that any Windows Platform gets, and even webpages adjusted to work as apps. Xbox will be a huge opener for all of this, since people will want to target that, and with Desktop apps we'll get those on Phone as well. It's really the fact of Universal Apps being exactly that -- one binary for fucking everything, that makes this a good thing.

Who wouldn't add 3 lines of code to get 5 more platforms?

depends on how much it costs to maintain those 5 platforms.

clav

Sigh. Wish the presentation said something about a flagship date.

If you had an upgrade, would you buy a Note 4, S6, G4, or wait?

Zeknurn

A solid keynote. The Objective C translator, Continium for Phones, Windows 10 looking like something usable on the 8" tablet and obviously Hololens were the highlights.

Seeing the Office apps in Continium on phone finally made me get that it's the same app everywhere. Previously the back of my mind kept thinking it was the same core but different user experience on the two devices but this finally made it click.

Sigh. Wish the presentation said something about a flagship date.

If you had an upgrade, would you buy a Note 4, S6, G4, or wait?

You're asking in the Windows Phone thread when the Android evangelist isn't here. It's safe to assume a majority of people would say wait.

The new App solutions sound interesting, but they're nothing more than an idea at this point until I see a lot of developers taking advantage of the project.

Rudy's tweet and the fact that Candy Crush was apparently a ported game makes you wonder if developers have had these tools for some time then why haven't we gotten that large influx of their apps. The obvious answer would be they still don't care.

The new App solutions sound interesting, but they're nothing more than an idea at this point until I see a lot of developers taking advantage of the project.

Rudy's tweet and the fact that Candy Crush was apparently a ported game makes you wonder if developers have had these tools for some time then why haven't we gotten that large influx of their apps. The obvious answer would be they still don't care.

I can't speak to every avenue demonstrated today, but I doubt they disseminate these widely before build.

NeOak

I don't think they were exactly common like lastflowers said.

Most likely everything was under a heavy NDA and the candy crush saga project was a test pilot.

Doffen

I just want new flagship hardware and some solid demonstration of Windows 10 for phones. Every time they showcase phones that just demo Office instead.

January - Office
MWC - Office
Build - Office

It better be free and not just a 1 year subscription like Galaxy.

Ape

Banned
I really like the way windows 10 looks. hololens cant come out soon enough... ill buy a 1.0 version of that and i barely ever do that

Last Flowers, can you speak to the quality of apps after they are translated from Android to Windows?

I think there are some presentations tomorrow and stuffs that should show off way more than the two or so seconds you saw today (that was a bit disappointing, boo!). Not sure what I can or can't say, so I won't say anything

Ape

Banned
I think there are some presentations tomorrow and stuffs that should show off way more than the two or so seconds you saw today (that was a bit disappointing, boo!). Not sure what I can or can't say, so I won't say anything

haha, yeah i understand. looking forward to seeing more apps transition from android to windows so that we can hail you as our savior

this_guy

The ability to compile iOS apps sounds great, and it looks like it'll be available right away versus Android apps. Let's see if developers will actually use this.

Paganmoon

I'm missing something here, iOS apps compiled to WP sounds great and a smart move, but they're actually also talking about running Android apps on WP? as in natively? Now that I don't like...

Honestly, the extent to which universal apps are... well universal, is absolutely mind boggling. The fact that an app can be the exact same program on so many devices, and work seamlessly, is amazing. This seriously felt like some next gen shit.

Also I am so getting a Surface Pro 4 this fall.

More apps? Did they announce any? I thought the one shown was an iOS app?

The expectation is that developers will actually develop apps, since 99% of the work will target a very huge amount of devices.

EDIT:
I was at work all morning so I missed everything. Is the boat still sinking?
Probably not. Even if WP doesn't take the world by storm, Universal Apps mean that pretty much as long as Windows exists, we won't feel stranded. Which is fine by me.

Doffen

Be inspired at E3.

Holographic computing promises whole new ways for us to create, collaborate, work, and play. We look forward to showing and telling you more at E3, the world's premier trade show for computer and video games and related products.

So more HoloLens at E3 guys!

Doffen

This must be true:

djgLaEY.png

https://twitter.com/Office365/status/593474328232108032

Top Bottom