• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

I have to say I really liked the keynote, but something wasn't clear enough to me. It seems like Objective-C apps have to be recompiled, but Android apps are in some sort of privileged VM. Have they explained this difference or did I understand something wrong.

Regardless of that, Hololens and Mobile Continuum were some of the highlights of the keynote. So Microsoft, just get with the program and give me my flagship x86 Lumia.
I was impressed with the keynote but I question how well they can execute all this. I also question developer interest. Yes all this makes developing for Windows easier but many devs are simply biased against Windows.

JaggedSac

My 1020 screen shattered on my bathroom tile this morning. Luckily I bought one of those 540s that were on sale. Quick question, without the little doodad that they give to put in the hole and pop sim cards out, what is the easiest way to do that?

hwalker84

Before build
667.gif

During Build
tumblr_mmt62lO1QY1r5j928o1_400.gif

If I don't get a Hero phone by September
ifRuyLu5OOh4e.gif

that's the project I'm working on
Woah, we're on the same team. Check your PMs. :)

For everyone else, there should be more information coming out today about Astoria. We have a session in the evening that will hopefully clear up a lot of questions I've seen - http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/2-702 - which I believe gets put up on Channel 9 afterwards. Islandwood also has a session. They're very different, but both very awesome pieces of tech.

I was impressed with the keynote but I question how well they can execute all this. I also question developer interest. Yes all this makes developing for Windows easier but many devs are simply biased against Windows.

Only Snapchat is bias, other just doesn't give a shit. Even if it's easy port they still have to support the platform specific and if the users number is low then they still don't want to allocate resource for it.

That said if they have been running iOS apps on Windows PHone while hasn't so many apps got update yet. I am not getting excited this time until I see awesome phone and apps being added not remove from the store.

hwalker84

Only Snapchat is bias, other just doesn't give a shit. Even if it's easy port they still have to support the platform specific and if the users number is low then they still don't want to allocate resource for it.

That said if they have been running iOS apps on Windows PHone while hasn't so many apps got update yet. I am not getting excited this time until I see awesome phone and apps being added not remove from the store.
Because the Islandwood tools were probably only given to an incredibly small set of developers or maybe just the Candycrush people only.

JaggedSac

Woah, we're on the same team. Check your PMs. :)

For everyone else, there should be more information coming out today about Astoria. We have a session in the evening that will hopefully clear up a lot of questions I've seen - http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2015/2-702 - which I believe gets put up on Channel 9 afterwards. Islandwood also has a session. They're very different, but both very awesome pieces of tech.

Uh oh, worlds colliding.

Lichter

José Mourinho;162195850 said:
I did unblock it and then it was blocked again, I believe permanently, for repeated use of 6snap.

Yeah it's weird but you can still use your account in the official app (iOS/Android).

CaptainABAB

My concern is that all of the platform bridge projects (iOS/Android/win32/web are still in limited preview mode, so they are most likely many months away from production/public availability.

n64coder

If it's simple to port over, it would be daft for developers to turn down another potential revenue generator.

It still costs money to support another platform. You would need to allocate some testing resources, have hardware to test on and then developer's time for porting and debugging/fixing issues.

Still, I hope it encourages more people to support the platform.

Only time will tell, but ms seems to be taking all the right steps.

Addressing win8 shortcomings for desktop users and enterprise lures them to upgrade, as does the free update offer.

By making metro apps more capable and better at interacting with the desktop (they run windowed and support expected features like drag and drop), they make these apps compelling for the huge user base to consume/buy them.

And by making them universal all platforms benefit from the huge user base of windows, and attract developers as well as they can target more devices with little cost/time.

And finally, by using bridges developers now can take their existing project and have a windows presence, which is useful as a temporary solution until windows gets a buying user base that warrants a freshly developed app.

I can see it having no effect, but I must say, I'm very impressed so far. That and the platform itself being so tightly integrated on many devices sounds like it's going to be an amazing as hell ecosystem.

José Mourinho;162233257 said:
Been playing Hitman GO and Monument Valley, and my oh my, the 930 gets insanely hot when doing so. It's almost uncomfortable at times.

Hope my 635 doesn't combust; I've had my eye on Hitman GO for a while now.

hadareud

The Translator
Not sure whether you're asking if I'm trolling?

I'm not. I played it the other day and I hated it. I think it's a 2048 knock off that is so much worse.

clav

Has Microsoft clarified on unification of the stores?

Rarely anyone wants to buy the same app twice, something they did with the Halo phone game before Ballmer's departure.

Top Bottom