• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

Doffen

uybg83o.png

iHrlbCu.gif

Don't stop believin'

Paganmoon

So it's actually android apps, (APK's?) on Windows Phone? separate store? how will it work with google integrations?

Man, why couldn't they just have the iOS compile, wasn't it good enough? Now app devs will say "let them run the android app, why recompile?".

nubbe

Android should be easy since it is based on Java and open source?

Just drop the APK on Onedrive from the PC and install it on the phone, seems easy enough

Just need and easy way to get all those APK

It's not like Amazon or any other third party can "open" a store front since WP is locked, unlike Android where anyone can "open" a store

Paganmoon

Android should be easy since it is based on Java and open source?

Just drop the APK on Onedrive from the PC and install it on the phone, seems easy enough

Just need and easy way to get all those APK

It's not like Amazon or any other third party can "open" a store front since WP is locked, unlike Android where anyone can "open" a store

But I don't want Android on WP :(

Zeknurn

So Surface RT/2 is going to be updated to Windows Phone 10 with the continuum UI?

I don't think they want to have any ARM devices above 7.99" running Windows Mobile. Unless you read something indicating otherwise?

So it's actually android apps, (APK's?) on Windows Phone? separate store? how will it work with google integrations?

Man, why couldn't they just have the iOS compile, wasn't it good enough? Now app devs will say "let them run the android app, why recompile?".

There's currently not enough information to figure out exactly how it will work. But from what I understand, you take your Android app code, add some Windows specific stuff like a live tile and Cortana integration and you're good to go.
https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-astoria

Albert Shum* blog post about evolving the design for Windows 10 for phones is up
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/29/windows-10-design-getting-the-balance-right/

Paganmoon

I don't think they want to have any ARM devices above 7.99" running Windows Mobile. Unless you read something indicating otherwise?

There's currently not enough information to figure out exactly how it will work. But from what I understand, you take your Android app code, add some Windows specific stuff like a live tile and Cortana integration and you're good to go.
https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges/project-astoria

Joe B blog post about evolving the design for Windows 10 for phones is up
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/04/29/windows-10-design-getting-the-balance-right/

Good, so it's still up to app devs to actually do something to get it to work on WP.

CaptainABAB

Honestly, the extent to which universal apps are... well universal, is absolutely mind boggling. The fact that an app can be the exact same program on so many devices, and work seamlessly, is amazing. This seriously felt like some next gen shit.

I'm going to try to be optimistic but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

There are now multiple "options" but there is NO universal app that works across all platforms.

Option 1: Take an Objective-C iOS project and compile/port for Universal Windows Apps
- This doesn't provide a solution for Android, not sure about xb1

Option 2: Take an Android APK and publish to the Windows Phone Store unmodified (or with some changes - still unclear)
- This doesn't provide a solution for iOS, Windows10 desktop/tablet or xbox1 (my understanding is that this approach doesn't work with mouse/keyboard so it is limited to Windows Mobile only, aka ARM phones. Verified in the link below: "build apps using Android code to target Windows 10 phones without having to leave your Android IDE")
- This approach does not support 100 % of the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) and Google Mobile Services (GMS) APIs

Option 3: Write a Windows Universal App and target Win Phone/Tablet and possibly xbox1
- This doesn't provide a solution for iOS or Android
- Waiting for details on how universal apps work on xbox1
- How do touch-based apps map to xb1 controller inputs?

Option 4: Use Apache Cordova to make a "web" app that runs on each platform.

And even with the above approaches, I have many, many questions: what limitations are there, API support, platform-specific changes required, changes to handle the different resolutions/screen sizes/inputs, etc.

More info: https://dev.windows.com/en-US/uwp-bridges

Nero3000

Nothing i have read specifically. Just that we know Surfce RT/2 will be updated to something, and it seems like with continuum for phones, we have something semi-useful to update to (W10 universal app compatibility, Edge etc.)

MCD

Just one question to our resident MS guys:

Can Firefox/Opera/Chrome use their own rendering engine in Win10? Or is it still limited to IE/Edge?

MCD

I imagine it's still limited, but it's really just speculation.

So far, MS is going all in so might as well do with this one.

Been pissed about their latest attitude but can't say I am not quite pleased with today's news.

Just please announce a real phone.

Ape

Banned
So far, MS is going all in so might as well do with this one.

Been pissed about their latest attitude but can't say I am not quite pleased with today's news.

Just please announce a real phone.

im so ready to go balls deep in the microsoft ecosystem. just get me apps. ill wear my fitness band, bing my sp4 to class with my hololens on my head. idgaf. just give me apps.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the keynote. Thought it was pretty great. Hopefully devs will deliver.

Edit: Also based lastflowers

Edit2: What is tomorrows keynote about?

Doffen

José Mourinho;162117928 said:
Balls to Snapchat and their app. Blocked my account for using 3rd party solutions when they wouldn't provide their own. I'll not be going near it if it comes. I know many will, but I'm going be defiant. Not that they'll care.

I think you can unlock your account using the official app on iOS or Android.

Finished the keynote. Thought it was pretty great. Hopefully devs will deliver.

Edit: Also based lastflowers

Edit2: What is tomorrows keynote about?

They completely flipped the format from last year. So I think tomorrow they are going to be going into the more technical parts of the Windows stuff. New APIs, New Developer Control Panels, How the Android/iOS stuff works. That kind of stuff.

Maybe some more Azure stuff as well.

Doffen

Anybody see if they have sessions for developing Xbox apps? Mostly curious to see if anybody can make them or if you have to apply.

I thought everyone could make them, but if you wanted to create games with Xbox Live features you had to apply for ID@Xbox.

Also:
o4ZBk1B.png

I have to say I really liked the keynote, but something wasn't clear enough to me. It seems like Objective-C apps have to be recompiled, but Android apps are in some sort of privileged VM. Have they explained this difference or did I understand something wrong.

Regardless of that, Hololens and Mobile Continuum were some of the highlights of the keynote. So Microsoft, just get with the program and give me my flagship x86 Lumia.

I have to say I really liked the keynote, but something wasn't clear enough to me. It seems like Objective-C apps have to be recompiled, but Android apps are in some sort of privileged VM. Have they explained this difference or did I understand something wrong.

Regardless of that, Hololens and Mobile Continuum were some of the highlights of the keynote. So Microsoft, just get with the program and give me my flagship x86 Lumia.

There's going to be more tomorrow/rest of Build regarding Astoria, though I'm not sure what they're talking about.

joshschw

My speculation on the Android thing:

I imagine that while the layer embedded in the OS is capable of running any old APK - so long as it only uses standard Android API's - the idea is that developers will enhance their android apps with Windows phone features such as live tiles, etc...

Once they see that there's a WP following and the apps do well the point is that they will make a real Windows Universal app. I have doubts that the end game for Microsoft is to just run Android apps on windows mobile devices.

as for iOS, the idea is that developers will port stuff easily, and they will adapt UI and other things since that's not all that complicated. Leave it simple, but still get high quality apps. I hope so anyway. I am much more excited for the iOS portion of todays news than running hastily scrapped together Android APK's. Any impressions on performance?

Think it's very cool that lastflowers is working on such a major feature. Must be crazy seeing all the big online articles about the speculation over the last year!!

4 columns. SUCKS.

Looks like they'll be doing hamburger vs pivot on a case by case basis, depending on which works better for that task on that device. Which I like.

royalan

I'm going to need proof that the Android apps will work near-seamlessly before I can get excited about it. I was burned too hard by Blackberry bragging about Android app integration. That turned out to be such a mess.

I'm going to need proof that the Android apps will work near-seamlessly before I can get excited about it. I was burned too hard by Blackberry bragging about Android app integration. That turned out to be such a mess.

It sounds more similar to how Amazon is forking Android apps, which from what I understand works fine. It's just that Amazon phones makes Windows Phone look like the greatest success story of all time.

Damn, Just logged into the Windows Dev center and I love the new layout. It doesn't have everything yet, but Its a great start. Love that they took the Windows Phone Dev Dashboard layout instead of the old Windows 8 Dev Dashboard layout which looked 10 years old and was annoying to use.

Magni

Bring on BUILD, this is your last chance MS (as far as I'm concerned anyways) :(

Let's just say this was a good first day :) I'm just sad that I wasn't able to buy a ticket in time and had to watch it from the office instead.

Hoping to see Visual Studio on OS X soon, to make it even easier to switch from an iOS project in Xcode to a WP project in VS.

So, can send/receive text messages from my phone and pc? Lol

They've been strangely quiet about messaging since they briefly teased it the January announcement. They mentioned messaging for Windows 8 before it came out and we still don't have it.

Seems especially crazy considering the pretty great iOS/OSX implementation of that has been out for a while...

Totakeke

They've been strangely quiet about messaging since they briefly teased it the January announcement. They mentioned messaging for Windows 8 before it came out and we still don't have it.

Seems especially crazy considering the pretty great iOS/OSX implementation of that has been out for a while...

They did demo wechat having phone/desktop sync through universal app. Having any app developer being able to do that definitely trumps what Apple is doing now.

PG2G

They did demo wechat having phone/desktop sync through universal app. Having any app developer being able to do that definitely trumps what Apple is doing now.

Yeah, but I still need SMS/MMS over cellular, which is much more important than any app.

Magni

Something that I feel was overlooked with all the megatons that MS dropped today was Cortana interacting with third-party apps without needing to open them.

"Swarm check me in to Contoso Café" Done.

Klocker

Interesting day 1 from 6:35 ish to around 7:00... universal API program managers sit down q&a

Edit [deleted]

Ahh can't stream from live anymore

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So, uh. Is there any hope for new devices today? Or is it going to be about dorky cloudy stuff for all the eggheads out there?

sorry

JaggedSac

Something that I feel was overlooked with all the megatons that MS dropped today was Cortana interacting with third-party apps without needing to open them.

"Swarm check me in to Contoso Café" Done.

I didn't hear this. That is cool and is something I've wanted on Xbox. "Hulu Plus Play Seinfeld".

Top Bottom