• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

So many games within such a small time frame. I'm not sure I can handle this kind of support, I might have to jump over to Palm or BlackBerry.

Monument Valley

Hitman GO

Cut the Rope 2

Overkill 3

Threes!

Crossy Road

Halo: Spartan Strike
tumblr_lqpt6cBYVe1r0ojhto1_400.gif

I was blown away by the battery life on WP when I got it.... lolz

I generally get 2 full days of battery life on my phone, normal usage (which is admittedly pretty light by most people's standards, but still.) Not bad for something that set me back a hundred bucks.

maeh2k

I'm very interested in the new ways to port iOS/Android apps and to wrap web sites.
The site I'm working for has a decent responsive web site; an okay iOS app, a weak Android app, and Windows platforms might as well not even exist.

If porting the iOS app to phones was really simple and effortless, we'd end up with a better Windows Phone app than our Android app. That would be pretty cool. For Windows 10 on the desktop, wrapping the web site in an app might be a good idea.

So my girlfriend is looking for an affordable smartphone, unlocked, using it with straight talk. I'm pretty much locked to android, but she's not loyal to anyone in particular. Are their any sub-$200 phones you guys would recommend?

f0lken

So my girlfriend is looking for an affordable smartphone, unlocked, using it with straight talk. I'm pretty much locked to android, but she's not loyal to anyone in particular. Are their any sub-$200 phones you guys would recommend?

For $200 I'm sure you could get a used 920/925, maybe even a 1020

New rumor claims to reveal hardware specs for two new high-end Lumia phones

The story comes from Unleash the Phones, and claims that both new Lumia smartphones will have
64-bit processors and a triple-LED flash for the rear camera.
The report says one of the phones has the code name "Talkman". Here are its rumored specs:

“ 5.2 inch QHD display
Qualcomm-based 6 core processor
3GB of RAM
32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
20MP rear camera
5MP front facing camera,
3000 mAh removable battery

The story says Microsoft is working on an even higher-end Lumia with the code name "Cityman". The report says its specs include:

“ 5.7 inch QHD display
Qualcomm-based eight core processor
3GB of RAM
32GB of internal storage with a microSD card slot
20MP rear camera
5MP front facing camera,
3300 mAh removable battery

ronpaul.gif

f0lken

If they are going to give me a mere 20mp camera they better have put in there a 1 inch sensor, otherwise I won't consider it a 1020 successor

there won't be a 1020 successor right? :(

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
The question is, will they stick with Lumia brand or make a surface phone. Surface brand is more healthier all around.

Anyways if specs are true, I would like that 5.7 QHD display :p

The question is, will they stick with Lumia brand or make a surface phone. Surface brand is more healthier all around.

Anyways if specs are true, I would like that 5.7 QHD display :p

The Lumia 830 would be a great starting point. Built like a tank. Removable back. SD slot. And has Surface-like design cues meshed with Lumia.

The Lumia 635 is a great phone given how incredibly cheap it is ($46). The Amazon reviews mention you can use it on Straight Talk without it being unlocked.

If she wants something more powerful (And more expensive) than eBay has the LG G2 for $180 brand new factory unlocked.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G2-Lates...campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

For further ideas check out the GAF thread on $300 or less phones if you haven't already.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037257&highlight=sub+300

635 is quickly going from awesome to just good for the money. Need a new phablet, if something isn't announced soon to replace the 1520 I'll have to go Android.

hwalker84

635 is quickly going from awesome to just good for the money. Need a new phablet, if something isn't announced soon to replace the 1520 I'll have to go Android.

Might as well go ahead. I doubt we're getting anything till November. Microsoft is moving like they're the industry leader.

Depending on what carrier you are on the Lumia 640XL might be coming out soon. I thought it was scheduled for April, but it seems to have gotten pushed back.

Goddamn, I'm due for a contract renewal and I'm not sure I can resist a good looking 5.2" phone. Maybe I'll consider the phablet when I see it in person.
I only need Microsoft to officially launch the flagship and the SP4 in this country so I can give them my money.
Things are certainly getting interesting, I'll have to check when I'm due for upgrade.
March 16. Should be something out by then.

The Lumia 635 is a great phone given how incredibly cheap it is ($46). The Amazon reviews mention you can use it on Straight Talk without it being unlocked.

If she wants something more powerful (And more expensive) than eBay has the LG G2 for $180 brand new factory unlocked.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G2-Lates...campid=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

For further ideas check out the GAF thread on $300 or less phones if you haven't already.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1037257&highlight=sub+300

Unfortunately that thread offers very few suggestions and is mainly a derail about portrait mode.

Do any of you buy vinyl records? I'm thinking about writing a wp10 app to connect with discos so that I know exactly which albums I own and so I can remember the albums on my wish list. I have a nasty habit of never writing down or remembering when perusing the many stores around me.

Any feature requests? I was thinking maybe try and utilize OCR to scan album titles for new album entry/query

The intent would be to have an app that works on phone,tablet, Xbox,pic. Even if the location doesn't make sense (Xbox), it's an improvement experience. Or maybe app-to-app communication with the Xbox app if possible, I dunno

JaggedSac

I collect records but not to that extent. I know someone who would make use of that though. Would OCR work on most album covers? Do all albums have barcodes? I can't recall. You should also hook it to Xbox Music after the title has been recognized/entered to sample the music from the album. Is there an API that you can use to get meta data from Xbox Music? I think the Xbox UI would be a nice visualization of the albums you own. Maybe also add the capability to view other folk's collections too.

Also, estate sales are where you should be going for records man. People don't know what they're selling most times and you can make some great scores.

clav

Do any of you buy vinyl records? I'm thinking about writing a wp10 app to connect with discos so that I know exactly which albums I own and so I can remember the albums on my wish list. I have a nasty habit of never writing down or remembering when perusing the many stores around me.

Any feature requests? I was thinking maybe try and utilize OCR to scan album titles for new album entry/query

The intent would be to have an app that works on phone,tablet, Xbox,pic. Even if the location doesn't make sense (Xbox), it's an improvement experience. Or maybe app-to-app communication with the Xbox app if possible, I dunno

I have some records, but I'm too lazy to digitally archive them since the process requires manual feeding along with editing long .wav files.

Perhaps a program that knows how to split tracks and also label them appropriately?

NeOak

Unfortunately that thread offers very few suggestions and is mainly a derail about portrait mode.

Other than old phones or waiting for a 640 to come stateside, it would be the 635.

However, it seems WP8.1 doesn't play well with the APNs for Straight Talk so you can't send MMS.

JaggedSac

Oh, and one more thing that would be super useful for folks buying records...and I have no idea where you would get this data...would be a quick price guidance for a particular record. Stinks not knowing if you are overpaying or not.

joshschw

bBwBznO.png

gonna start sending dickpics by carrier pigeon

I feel like it's probably their founder/ceo actually responding.
Guy never seems like he's 100%. Hit it lucky with a mobile app, he doesn't even seem smart enough to realize it was just that... lucky.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I just deleted the android app. It's one thing to not support a platform, but these guys act like wp ran over their dog. Damn.

Yeah holy hell. What an asshole. Not even a, "I'm sorry but we don't support Windows", but just straight being a dick about it.

Maybe it wasn't just copyright infringement that got the 6Snap or whatever taken off, maybe the company actively dislikes Windows, which is pretty stupid.

Reminds me of how Verizon would actively dissuade people from Windows phones just cuz.

Top Bottom