• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

MCD

Not surprised. Pro American till the end.

And the rumor about 2 high end phones appear to be real. Both the Verge and Engadget are reporting it to be true.

And the rumor about 2 high end phones appear to be real. Both the Verge and Engadget are reporting it to be true.
We're talking about the same brand that only sells decently in Europe, right?

And the same brand that has never released a flagship in the US that didn't come as a carrier exclusive?

:p

JaggedSac

Interested to see what they look like. Not sure how I like the removable back plate, but sd card slot is nice.

with the ability to easily bring ios apps and android apps, and those rumored specs for the new flagship phones, I may be making a return to windows phone this fall/winter.

clav

with the ability to easily bring ios apps and android apps, and those rumored specs for the new flagship phones, I may be making a return to windows phone this fall/winter.

What would you do if you had an upgrade now?

I think I may upgrade to a G4 if I don't hear anything new.

Still holding on to a Galaxy S3. Two complaints are the keyboard and camera.

I've had an upgrade since like November, but there was nothing worth upgrading to. I am one of those 920 users whose contacts were up but had nothing to upgrade to.

My 920 was starting to have issues, so I bought a one plus one for the time until there is something I can consider upgrading to from Microsoft.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
T
oklpvz4nz1oq_small.png

Is that the new Apple logo?

Also, MLB at Bat is back in the store - http://www.windowscentral.com/mlb-bat-returns-windows-phone-store-support-2015-season

JaggedSac

I've got an upgrade now and I'm waiting. Heck, my 1020's screen is destroyed and I'm using a 635 currently. And you know what, very little difference in day to day for me except for the camera, lol.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Since now Microsoft is making their own hardware, is it too much to ask from Microsoft to do worldwide release? Unlocks phones available in Microsoft store and also with contract with carriers like Apple do with iPhone.

Fjolle

Since now Microsoft is making their own hardware, is it too much to ask from Microsoft to do worldwide release? Unlocks phones available in Microsoft store and also with contract with carriers like Apple do with iPhone.

They'll do a global release just like they did with the Zune, Xbox and Band...

Fjolle

You sound very confident. Based on what? and Band is only available in states. Not sure about Zune.

I don't think Zune ever got released officially outside US. Apparently Band is available in UK since last month, but nowhere else.

My point was that Microsoft has made their own hardware for decades, but they have never had a global launch as a priority.

hadareud

The Translator
Variety to familiarize devs? Price?

I don't see it. If they want to release a 940 & 940XL as rumoured, it would make sense to have the same processor, seeing as all the other rumoured specs are also identical (camera, screen res, storage, SD card support etc.).

Not it likely makes any discernible difference whether you're using a hekta or okta-core processor, apart from possibly battery life, of course. But from a marketing point of view, people will see the phone with the superficially better processor as the "true" flagship and the other one as inferior. Even though that is bollocks.

JaggedSac

I don't see it. If they want to release a 940 & 940XL as rumoured, it would make sense to have the same processor, seeing as all the other rumoured specs are also identical (camera, screen res, storage, SD card support etc.).

Not it likely makes any discernible difference whether you're using a hekta or okta-core processor, apart from possibly battery life, of course. But from a marketing point of view, people will see the phone with the superficially better processor as the "true" flagship and the other one as inferior. Even though that is bollocks.

Battery life is probably the reason. Bigger phone can have bigger battery.

NeOak

So new Lumia Camera drops the Dolby Digital 5.1 references.

Why? So it's no longer AC-3 and instead it will be LPCM?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe that Sky filed an name infringement against MS with Skype! Complete bullshit that it worked against SkyDrive.

Paganmoon

I can't believe that Sky filed an name infringement against MS with Skype! Complete bullshit that it worked against SkyDrive.

I though they had to be within the same field for name infringements to actually mean anything. And, I don't think I've ever mistaken Skype for Sky... honestly, Skype is probably more famous outside of the UK than Sky is so, Sky is the one that's infringing.

Oh FFS. How the hell do you rename Skype without it sounding generic or stupid as hell. All the good names are already taken and all the other ones would only detriment the service

Behold, the new flagship that will save Windows Phone!

Will this fly like the SkyDrive complaint? It is not as if Skype is a new service or anything like that. Even so, what would they accomplish? I don't believe they will launch a new messaging service.

LG midrange phone on Verizon will be competing directly with the Lumia 735 midrange when both are released. Why release 2 midrange WP phones Verizon?

Top Bottom